1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Limit for Carrying Gold To India

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by rekhaatu, Nov 14, 2013.

1. rekhaatu

rekhaatu Silver IL'ite

I recently heard from some of my friends that there is a change in customs policies and new limit is imposed in carrying gold to and from India.
    Did anyone recently travel to India with Gold?
    I am planning to take some Oz coins to India and get it exchanged for ornaments.

Please reply if you have any info on this.

2. Padmash

Padmash Platinum IL'ite

If you have not bought the coins don't buy. New custom policies you have to pay tax if you carry gold more than INR 20,000. So dont take coins they will be more than that. Better buy some finger rings, chain and wear it then there will be no problem.. Once i put one gold chain in my hand bag and at customs they wanted us to pay but somehow i wear it and came out as it was not in proper packing. Be careful dont take any risk.

1 person likes this.
  3. Dinny

Dinny IL Hall of Fame

Padmash
    From what i heard in Cochin airport they are checking the gold worn by ladies,men and children too.The situation has worsened in past few months after the recent gold smuggling cases that flashed in the media.Int'l airports like Mumbai,Delhi,Chennai are on high alerts.So one has to be extremely cautious.

4. Padmash

Padmash Platinum IL'ite

Is that so Dinny??? I have no idea about these airports.. Actually i dont wear any jewelleries when i travel from india. So when i travel back ti india i will be having just one set. My son and husband never wear.. once my husband was wearing one gold chain.. Hopefully during my next travel nothing like this happens.. i love the designs here. I travel either delhi or bangalore.

5. mathiravi

mathiravi Local Champion Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Are they imposing custom regulation on packed jewels alone or even on the ornaments that are unpacked too? I cannot wear all at a time right

1 person likes this.
  6. Padmash

Padmash Platinum IL'ite

They will impose custom regulation on unpacked jewels if you are not wearing them..

1 person likes this.