Lighting a lamp

Discussion in 'Queries on Religion & Spirituality' started by kanaka Raghavan, Sep 2, 2007.

1. kanaka Raghavan

kanaka Raghavan IL Hall of Fame

Dear Lalitha
    I am not sure where electric wicks are made.will let u know if any information is made.But I have found electic kuttu villakus in Giri trading agency and several shops in Mada veethi in Mylapore.

2. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

But never clean the lamps in the evening..when they should be lighted...

3. shravanthika

shravanthika Senior IL'ite

Hi Shanthi and Sriniketan,

Thanx a lot for your replies...I'll follow up and do the same.

4. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

you are welcome shravantika

5. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Its my pleasure, Shravantika.
    By the way I like your name very much.

sriniketan

6. Vini K

Vini K Bronze IL'ite

Rajmiarun,

Thanks a lot for the great info.I could see the picture you posted the link for.Now my doubts are cleared.Thanks again.I could not login after I posted the question to you,hence the delay in replying.Sorry for that.:)

7. kanaka

kanaka Bronze IL'ite

Dear kanaka raghavan,
    Don't consider this posting of mine as a refutation nor feel offensive. If you can't agree u can assume this as a loud thinking of one of ur friends.
    I think oil is only a medium for kindling the lamp.making the flame burn steadily without the wick being charred in the process.
    To me the light radiated by the lamp is to make my mind bright. Those luminous light radiating from the lamp is soothening to my eyes and something whichmakes the mind tranquil.
    As I gaze at the lit lamp I feel the flame reflects our state of mental state at that time. Though the surrounding is still as we pray the movement of the flame, in a way, is an indicator of our mental condition. When the mind is not turbid with various thoughts I always find the flame too steady. May be it's my illusion.
    But I don't understand certain ritualistic patterns and style in lighting. Soory for me anyoil is ok as long as the lamp is lit and the flame is bright.
    Why shouldn't one wash the lamp in the evening? Iam not an atheist. I beilieve in that absolute power which controls the whole universe.Still I can't understand the logic behind that. Till today u can see our grandmothers, mother-in-laws cleaning the lamp just before sunset to keep everything ready for the "trisandhi Vellakku Kolluthal". kanaka

Last edited: Nov 21, 2007
    1 person likes this.
  8. vaidehi

vaidehi Silver IL'ite

Wick of a Lamp !

Hello all,

I have heard from my elders that we need to put two cotton wicks or Thiri to Light a Lamp. Can anybody throw some light on the reason behind it ? Is it necessary to use two Thiris or one Thiri is also sufficent ?

AIso i would like to know whether Til oil or ghee should be used for lighting the same. I have been using Til oil or Sesame oil till now. But have read that Lighting lamp with ghee brings Aishwaryam to the well being of the Family. So was just curious abt it.

I would like chitra Mam to come out with an Elaborate post on "Details regd Lighting of Lamp" Since it would be useful for youngsters like me. Dear Friends ,Please just let me know if this Topic has already been discussed earlier.

Cheers
    vaidehi

Last edited: Apr 5, 2008
  9. padyala

padyala Senior IL'ite

Re: Wick of a Lamp !

hi vaidehi.
    the information regarding has been given inthe religion&spirituality thread.
    by chitvish mam&kanakaraghavan.below your query u can find similar threads.
    padyala.

10. sapnavamsi

sapnavamsi New IL'ite

Nice info but please tell me how easy is it to get lotus stem thread.

thanks
    SapnaVamsi