Lighting a lamp

Discussion in 'Queries on Religion & Spirituality' started by kanaka Raghavan, Sep 2, 2007.

1. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

very very useful information. thanks for sharing
    regards
    anandchitra

2. presci

presci Senior IL'ite

Dear all,
    I would like to clarify one thing usually they say that 2 side wick is good for family. In each side i use pair of wicks therby 4 wicks totally. Now you are saying 3, 4, 5. Should each contain 2 wicks or single wicks.
    Please clarify.
    Luv
    Presci

3. rajmiarun

rajmiarun Gold IL'ite

Hi,

In whatever type of lamp you light, be it Kamakshi Vilakku or Kuthu Vilakku you are supposed to use 2 threads to light a lamp. Be it a single lamp or two lamps in a kuthu vilakku you need to have two threads made into a single wick.

1 person likes this.
  4. Vini K

Vini K Bronze IL'ite

Great info there!thanks.

RajmiArun,I just wanted to ask:is is ok if I use two single wicks seperately?I used to use a two wicks twisted into one.But my friend while going away gave me some wicks which are just single wicks.All these days I have been placing two of then in my deepam and lighting them seperately.is this ok?or do I need to twist it into one?Please clarify.Many thanks.also what is kuthu vilakku and what is kamakshi vilakku?can you please explain in english?Many thanks.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2007
  5. rajmiarun

rajmiarun Gold IL'ite

You need to twist two wicks into one. And if one single wick is long then you could fold it and twist it into one. Kuthu Vilakku is the one with a stem and a base and a place to light in the top. The normal Kuthhu Vilakku has 5 slots to light and the Kerala type has no slots just plain round.

[​IMG]

This is typical kuthu Vilakku. But unlike in this photo the wick is lighted in the Mogappu or in the corners.

[​IMG]

This is the typical Kerala type Kuthu Vilakku with no Mugappu at the top.

2 people like this.
  6. rajmiarun

rajmiarun Gold IL'ite

Hi Vini,

If you are unable to see the first photo please tell me I will send the photo again. I dont know why I was unable to paste the photo and I was just able to paste the link though.

7. shravanthika

shravanthika Senior IL'ite

sorry for nosing in...

As this thread is abt lamps I thought it might be right to ask my query here...

How often one should wash pooja lamps?everyday or once in a week?Any particular days to avoid? I had mixed responses from my relatives and friends ...So ladies pls educate me....

8. vidyasundar

vidyasundar Bronze IL'ite

Hi Kanaka raghavan,
    thanks for such a wonderful and lighting information.

sorry for nosing in

we generally dont put off lamp using flower since it gets burnt while doing so instead we use solid turmeric(which we used to rub and apply on face) not the powder to put off, you can have one near the lamp.

i mix sesame oil,ghee and castor oil(mukkottu ennai) for lighting the lamp.

males are not supposed to put off the lamp. as per my granny it decreases life span it seems.

on tuesdays and fridays we dont wash lamps. I wash it on thursdays for fridays puja.

thanks and regards
    Vidyasundar

Last edited: Oct 6, 2007
    1 person likes this.
  9. lmani

lmani Senior IL'ite

Kanaka
    What about the electric wick.Can you tell me where in Chennai they do the electric wicks ,mylapore and mabalam.

10. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Hi Shravanthika,
    Usually once a week is enough for washing pooja lamp. Avoid washing during festival days but wash the lamp the day before the festivals.

sriniketan