1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Light

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Viswamitra, Jul 9, 2017.

1. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

What could be a better day to worship the Universal Absolute than the full-moon day today known as Guru Poornima? It is time to think of everyone who propagated wisdom to the humanity no matter which religion one belongs or don’t believe in any religion. On this full moon day, let us think of the greatest tools that we have been gifted with when we incarnated as human beings. They are known as Body, Mind and Intellect shortly known as (“BMI”). Every incarnation, in my view, is an opportunity to redeem ourselves from the encryption we have created on ourselves through our past actions and get closer to the ultimate Truth. When our birth is a grace to redeem ourselves, our freewill gives us the opportunity to use those tools in the manner we deem fit. For the rational thinkers, maximizing the potential of these tools results in fulfillment of life which again is considered the best use of our free will.

The body that consist of all five elements is a vehicle that takes us from Point A to Point B. It feels the world through its senses and helps us perform actions in life. There is a Sanskrit verbiage called “Shetra” which denotes a holy place. There is also an another meaning for this word called “Field”. In Mahabharatha, the was between Pandavas and Gauravas were fought in a place called “Gurushetra”. body plays the role of a performer orchestrated by our mind and intellect in our normal day to day life and without the body, the mind and intellect can’t function. There are 25 ingredients known as five organs of action (karmendriyas), five sense organs (Jnanedriyas), five life-breaths (pancha-pranas), five sensory faculties (pancha Tanmatras), mind, free will (sankalpa), ego (ahamkara), inner motivator aka constant integrated awareness (antakarana) and life -force (divine consciousness) reside in the body and hence the body is called “Shetra” or alternatively, a place (field) where we meet our own evil qualities and the Guru teaches us how to create a strategy to fight the evil.

The mind is our perceiver, thinker and the psychologist. It is the repository of all our experiences and by comparing our past actions and reactions, tells us how to release our emotions in each situation. Receipt, Reaction and Response are the responsibilities of the mind. It is also the receiver of thoughts emanating from our past encryption. It is like a Dhiya (Lamp) that is filled with oil (thoughts) and wick (emotions) and once we power it with the light, it continues to illuminate our life. It must receive the source of energy from the light that resides inside of us. It is nothing but a cauldron of thoughts and an adroit substance.

The intellect is the special sixth-sense that is gifted to the human-beings to discriminate right from wrong. If the mind is trained to consult this sixth-sense regularly, it can help us perform right actions to practice right living. That is why the Scriptures say, “Janthunam narajanmam dhurlubam” meaning, “to be born as a human is the rarest of rare opportunity”. The intellect is the match stick that is perfectly capable of lighting itself and the emotions (wick) by interacting with the divine consciousness residing in us. In the human hierarchy, the intellect is the closest to the divine consciousness. That is how we feel good when we perform good actions and feel guilty when we end up performing bad actions.

We are a spiritual being with human experiences and not human beings having spiritual experiences from time to time. Mind just look the Moon doesn’t have light of its own but when it received light from the consciousness (Sun), can remove the darkness of ignorance. The free will can seek that knowledge with determination. Our journey is to feel, perceive, discriminate and eventually gain the knowledge. When we believe we are the BMI, we live in forgetfulness and not recognize our Being and when we utilize our BMI to gain true knowledge, we reach awareness of our existence. When our Being is aware, it achieves bliss. This is what the learned call as “Sat-Chit-Ananda”. No one can deny our pursuit in life is happiness and if something that would keep us happy forever, we should explore it as much as we could by using the tools that are gifted to us. Let us take a Sankalpa to listen to our voice of conscience that is buried in the silence by eliminating the noise we hear from inside and outside of us.

2. ashima10

ashima10 Platinum IL'ite

Wow ! What a take on BMI! Loved each and every word but I will be very honest when I ask how do we know what bliss we want, the mind is so fickle nowadays . No time to even pause the system and think about it . Why makes us happy and what is absolute bliss however hard i try Iam nit able to curb the noises from all direction and be stable .
    When I was a kid I used to think I can spend a lifetime in a room with amenities if I have books of all kind which I want . That thought changed to laptops and internet connection after few days , the want of solitude remaind same . But now I can't even read a lot nor surf. There is blockage of certain kind which Iam unable to unblock . Iam not sure it's just our generation which is sort of of in middle of genuine ones And yo yo's...or all are like this only .

3. Viswamitra

@ashima10,

Thank you for your first response to my snippet. Analyzing who we are intellectually is very hard. We can't hear the melody that is played by our consciousness unless we work to reduce noise. At the same time, our involvement in the world will always creat noises and there is no escape. Therefore, my personal experience is not to resist noise as keeping the mind busy keeps us away from worries. Whenever, we don't visit a city, we take the bypass on the highway to avoid congestion and traffic. We need to taste the Self bypassing the day to day traffic of real life from time to time. That habit die hard. We will eventually expand that delving slowly but steadily. One of the spiritual speaker suggested to us that we need to start early, drive slowly and reach safely instead of starting late, driving at breakneck speed and reaching deadly on time. :)

Viswa

4. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

A great light has been shown by our IL philosopher on the REAL LIGHT.
    Simply superb Viswa Sir.The same topic has been dealt with by you in various articles in various angles on various occasions.Through your goodself we are given the opportunity
    to view the same through our 'glass' of intellect.Hope we will succeed little by little.
    Such articles are very much motivating to deviate us somewhat from the mundane world and have a better view of things.Thank you very much Viswa.
    Jayasala 42

Viswamitra likes this.
  5. joylokhi

joylokhi Platinum IL'ite

That was a wonderful write up on the power of our scriptures and Guru parampara. I have only recently (after crossing 60 yrs of age), taken to reading up on our scriptures in a phased manner, and therefore yet to come to a state when I can understand what is meant by ' listening to our voice of conscience by eliminating the noise we hear from inside and outside'.I agree almost all gurus preach the same, we need not look for our peace outside, the bliss and light is within us, and we have to do sadhanas to be able to realise the same. I am hoping by further indepth reading of our religious books, i may at least attempt some semblance of meditation and look inwards.
    Thanks again for a very inspiring snippet.

Viswamitra likes this.
  6. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

@Viswamitra
    Dear Viswa,
    A motivative and inspiring post by you reminding us to look at the inner spiritual light and not to lose the best opportunity we got in human life. If we missed this great opportunity then we have to start again from ground zero.
    As a thoondukol is needed for an oil lamp to make it give bright light, our great gurus act like a thoondukol to enlighten our lives with spirituality.

I like your BMI interpretation.

PS

Viswamitra likes this.
  7. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

I think we are human beings with occasional spiritual experience but silence? That is the most difficult thing to achieve because our minds are full of noise.

Viswamitra likes this.
  8. LakshmiKMBhat

LakshmiKMBhat Gold IL'ite

Thank you Sir. Regards, Lakshmi

Viswamitra likes this.
  9. Viswamitra

Dear Smt. Jayasala:

I am truly humbled and honored by your kind words but all my snippets are mere exploration to seek more knowledge from learned people like you by way of responses. I have learned more from your responses than what I read in the books and I always enjoyed your responses.

With great humility I say it is my pleasure interacting with someone like you who had gone through so much in life, very highly knowledgeable and has so many creditable journal publications. It is such a great learning experience interacting with you and your presence here is considered a great blessing not only to me but to all IL members.

Viswa

10. Viswamitra

Dear Smt. Joylokhi:

Well. What can I say in response to your humbling response? I have myself started very late in my life reading spiritual content and listening to the discourses. At the age of 50, I read a book "Vedanta Treaties" written by Swami Parthasarathy which triggered my inner seeker. After that I started reading a lot of spiritual teachings of various Gurus and Masters such as "Autobiography of Yogi", very rare book about the life of Lahiri Mahasaya who taught Kriya Yoga to the world, Himalayan Masters written by Swami Rama, Perennial Psychology of Bhagavad Gita written by Swami Rama, Summer Showers in Brindavan, Sathya Sai Speaks, Vahinis, etc. consisting of discourses of Sathya Sai Baba, Many books written about Maharishi Ramana and His teachings, Deivathin Kural consisting of teachings of Paramacharya, J. Krishnamurthy's Total Freedom, Viveka Chudamani (Crown Jewel of Wisdom) by Adi Sankara, and many other Western authors as well.

If I ever have a birth again, I wish to learn Sanskrit and study Vedic Scriptures in a Padasala even before I reach the age of 10 or 15 and go through the four stages of life. I always believe the highest knowledge resides in us and when we read Scriptures or teaching of great Sages and Saints, it invokes the warehouse of knowledge inside of us. When I hear Bhajagovindam sung by M.S.Subbalakshmi Amma, it tells me how much time I have wasted in life. But the grace of the Lord is unlimited and always available to all of us who seek the wisdom.

I was hearing a 6 minutes video by a devotee of Bhagavan Sathya Sai Baba and when she asked a simple question, "Where are you going?, she replied, "My journey is from Loving Sai to Loving My Sai". That sentence revealed the fact that God created the Universe to share love and be loved. The God is fulfilling the commitment always hoping someday, His creations would reciprocate.

Viswa

Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
    joylokhi likes this.