1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Life's most piquant situations!

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Aug 19, 2007.

1. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Laxmi
    The sadistic nature of the teaching faculty is something that is mindboggling! They seem to know how exactly to embarrass the students. You memorise nine out of ten poems ans they'll ask you to recite the only one that you did not memorise!
    My professor in Presidency College, a co-education institution, always excelled in embarrassing me in open class like this in front of all the girl students thus making sure that my budding romantic nature was never allowed to blossom in full! It would appear as though he was kind of jealous of my popularity with girls and he did such things deliberately!
    Sri

2. chitrajan

chitrajan Bronze IL'ite

Piquant!!!!!!!!!! You bet

Dear Sr. Sri,

Trust you to come up with such ramblings.

Why is it that the more important the client, that one of the original document sits on my table and the courier has picked up the packet and gone?

And only when the statements are all drawn up and copies printed, that the difference of 41.63 rises and has to be found out immediately?

And, Chithra, I just loved your responses -- too good.

3. Cheeniya

Dear Chitra
    You remind me of my bank days when there were no computers, no adding machines and to reconcile a difference of 9 paise we had to toil for 9 hours wading through heaps of vouchers! 9 means jumbling figures, 45 typed as 54, 65 typed as 56 etc. All said and done, it was pure fun and the camaraderie that prevailed among the late sitters was unbelievable!
    Sri

4. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Cheeniya Sir

Enjoyed reading your Murphy Law's. Since I have come very late to this thread there is nothing left for me to write as others have written already.

But my latest is when I am very busy writing my first fb to a thread or when I am writing a new thread that time only my granddaughter will start crying either for food or to sleep as she wants me only to do both though my daughter is there.

Regards
    viji

P.S. When I just finished typing this fb and clicked the submit reply button my net went off and luckily it has come back after 10 mins, hope again it wont go before I post this fb

5. Cheeniya

Dear Viji
    Your great attachment to your grandchildren reminds me of a Tamil Movie "Annai" in which Banumathy acts as the mother of an adopted son. It was a classic performance and this veteran actress brought out the quintessence of a mother's love in every frame of that movie. In one particular scene, she even climbs a stool to stop the swinging pendulum of a noisy wall clock so that her son can sleep undisturbed!
    Sri

6. Tubelight

Tubelight Bronze IL'ite

Arrey ! You've been through so many excrutiatingly awkward situations that you no longer need Murphy's Law, but can right royally claim to be the progenitor of Cheeniya's Law !:crazy

My 5-Star "suffering" ? An Unnameable Face coming up and chatting away to glory about forgotten or fictitious episodes from one's snotty nosed, chalk-eating, bedwetting childhood, just when one is trying to engage the most delicious hunk among the party guests in some "intellectual " banter !:help

Its another attack of the that wicked Law, when the said U.F. glides into view ( after the said hunk has slunk off in hurry) and blissfully announces : "sorry, I mistook you to be Moorthy's niece":rantNeedless to add, Moorthy, his niece and U.F. were mentally subjected to all the attractions of purgatory for the rest of the long, lowspirited evening.:cry:

7. Cheeniya

Dear TL
    The idea of compiling the Cheeniya's laws is immensely appealing! A good way to spend the evening of my life!

Never knew that the most delicious hunks were capable of any intellectual banter but on second look, I noticed that you had said 'when one is trying to engage'! It would be easier to fell a hunk with a single blow than trying to engage him in an intellectual banter.Of course this will also drive him away at the speed of light.

"Needless to add, Moorthy, his niece and U.F. were mentally subjected to all the attractions of purgatory for the rest of the long, lowspirited evening"
    Very strong words, TL but I do understand how stressed one can be made by such UF's! But as a fair minded person, I would like to exempt Moorthy and niece from the purgatory. What sin have they committed except being mentioned by the UF?
    Sri

8. Tubelight

Tubelight Bronze IL'ite

Quote : "But as a fair minded person, I would like to exempt Moorthy and niece from the purgatory. What sin have they committed except being mentioned by the UF?"

Is that hard to understand really ?
    Bin Laden had issue with Bush. But he killed 3000 in WTC. Same, Sick, logic !

Besides, being a widely read man, you shoudn't find the idea of transfering ire from the primary target to "collateral" quarry, unnatural. I saw BLT's stage rendition of "The Lay of The Anklet" . You must have read the original.

9. Cheeniya

Dear TL
    I see your point. I have observed this transferring the ire business in many middle class families in Triplicane, Chennai. Whenever the husband and wife are locked in a fierce argument over an avoidable item of expenditure and things like that, the ire gets transferred to the children. They get a severe beating without knowing why. Your point is well taken!

Of course, nothing can beat Kannagi's burning of Madurai when it comes to transferring the ire. You must read Ilango Adigal's original. Your heart will bleed for the citizens of Madurai. 'The Lay of the Anklet' sounds too sophisticated a title for an inhuman reaction!
    Sri

10. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Cheeniya Sir,

I am listing a few out of my experiences of Murphy's law restricting it to air-travel:

1) When you have nothing to do on the plane and looking for a good company, you find no known person is traveling and when you have a plan to read a nice book, someone you know well walks into the plane and takes the seat right next to you

2) When you stand in the immigration line, the person in front of you takes a long time to finish his business while all other lines are moving so quickly

3) Even if you are successful in finishing your immigration quickly, your bag is the last one to arrive

4) When you come out everyone else other than who you are looking for to receive you are showing placards asking you who you are

5) When you choose a nice aisle seat in a long flight, the seat behind you is assigned to a child who would kick your seat non-stop throughout the journey

6) When you are wide awake, the staff in the plane will switch off all the lights and stop service and when you fall asleep, the lights will be switched and service will begin briskly

7) The bath rooms in the aircraft was mostly vacant until such time you need to use the rest room, you notice that there is a long line and the one inside the toilet takes the longest time

8) When you have a connecting flight, the flight that use to connect an international flight starts invariably late and the international flight leaves on time before the connecting flight arrives

9) When everyone boarded on the plane is using the television screen in front of their seat, only your seat has an audio or video defect when no other seat is available in the plane

10) When you travel with an infant and looking for exchanging seats to someone sitting right at the front seat, you notice that it is fully occupied with people with infants.

Viswa

(8)

2 people like this.