1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Life's most piquant situations!

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Aug 19, 2007.

1. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I have the greatest admiration for Murphy’s Laws. You cant beat Murphy's laws in summing up in a more delightful and lighthearted way our frustrating, agonoising, exasperating and inescapable moments when everything seems to go wrong. For example, laws like, ‘in a three-story building served by one elevator, the elevator car will always be on a floor where you are not’ or ‘the distance to the gate is inversely proportional to the time available to catch your flight’ or better still, ‘When traveling overseas, the exchange rate improves markedly the day after one has purchased foreign currency’. And consider this-‘The only time in the day that you lean back and relax in the office is the one time the Boss walks through the office!’ They even caution you about the possible wait at your Doctor’s clinic with ‘The more boring and out-of-date the magazines in the waiting room, the longer you will have to wait for your scheduled appointment’

On progeny performance, ‘Any child who chatters non-stop at home will adamantly refuse to utter a word when requested to demonstrate for an audience’ and ‘Any shy, introverted child will choose a crowded public area to loudly demonstrate newly acquired vocabulary (like @#$% and &*#$).
    On bedfellows, ‘The one who snores awfully will be the first to fall asleep’

But then life is full of delightful problems and dilemmas and there is a need to increase the scope of Murphy’s laws. I list below the problems I face which may be the subject matter of future laws:
    1. My wife coming from behind with a cup of coffee when I am feasting my eyes over a pin-up picture of a scantily dressed Hindi actress
    2. You wrench yourself from the bed in the midst of a Sunday siesta on hearing the door bell only to find that the caller is a vendor of unwanted plastic goods
    3. You settle down to watch your only favorite TV serial when the power goes off and the power supply resumes just about the time when your mother-in-law’s favorite is about to begin
    4. When you are rushing through your morning chore, someone rings you and engages you in a lengthy conversation without revealing his identity in a frustrating guessing game.
    5. When a stranger who seems to know all about you engages you in a very personal conversation about your childhood pranks without revealing his identity
    6. When you are having a great time in a well known restaurant on a fasting day, your daughter to whom you have bragged about the virtues of fasting only an hour back walks in with her friends.
    7. When you switch off your car at a busy traffic signal to save some precious fuel emulating the example of the illustrious auto drivers for the first time in your life, your car refuses to get back to life when the signal turns green.
    8. When you see a thousand rupee note in a street corner and pocket it after much debate within, suddenly a crew of a TV channel crowd around you to say that they were conducting a survey of people to see the comparative honesty in different cities.
    9. When you are ogling at a pretty woman in a crowded temple, the Archaka suddenly appears before you saying 'Ambalayum konjam paarungo' and laughs loudly drawing everyone's attention.

What I have listed here is only the tip of the iceberg and just illustrative. If I make it exhaustive, you will start wondering how I manage to be kicking around! I invite the ILites to frame fresh Murphy's Laws to describe these piquant situations. I do hope that the ever enterprising Induslady will announce a suitable award for the best entry! If she doesn't, I'll! :2thumbsup:

1 person likes this.

2. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sri,
    Let me first stop laughing & then go on to give my list. This is not just humorous, but downright hilarious !:mrgreen:
    You have to announce what prize (if at all) you have in mind to give to the best entry.
    I L ites queue will start in answering this post - so, unless it is really "something", I do not want to waste my time. I would rather write my next Gita article or cook up a new recipe !

Why is it that the husband is peeping from behind, only when I am writing a real naughty post in I L ? He is not to be seen, when I post vedanta.

In life, it is
    Mazai peyya
    Idi idikka
    ViLakku aNaiya
    Thirudan vara
    Kuzanthai aza
    ThaeL kotta
    You have announced a competition just at a time when I am "very busy" with "prior commitments".

As usual, I may come back with a rejoinder ! Do not count me out !!
    Love,
    Chithra.

3. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Chithra
    The prize will be unbelievably good if I have to foot the bill! Let Induslady decide:)
    Adu enna 'Prior commitments'? Since when you started talking like Prathibha Patil? Or is it just a ruse to slip out of any task that I may assign you with regard to judging the best entry?
    I am sure that your naughty comments will make Vish happy to understand that you still have a lot of 'life' left in you! :mrgreen:
    Sri

1 person likes this.
  4. srinivasan_vanaja

srinivasan_vanaja Gold IL'ite

Hello Sir,

Here is my contribution. At present only one, I may come up with more later on.

1) when you sincerely sit for practicing veena after a long gap, the string goes of with a "toooinnn" sound :evil::evil::evil:. (a recent happening of mine, of course when you play more the string goes off soon, this is dedication so:-D. but the previous emoticon :)evil:)is strictly under Murphy's Law)

vanaja

5. cheer

cheer Silver IL'ite

when U stuck in the traffic & another lane was moving fast, u changed it to that lane but to ur surprise that lane stop moving & we wonder why this happen to me always:mrgreen:

Hope more to come, right now i can't think more.

6. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Dear Cheeniya Sir
    Excellent thread topic and ofcourse you're inimitable style makes for great reading.
    I am really excited to wait and read all the replies from all the great ladies here and its possible they might exceed and excel.
    I for one is not smart enough to come up with such great lines but i'll think and try .
    and Sir you must also wonder why our dear chithra is trying to hide behind "prior commitments" hmmmm??!!(just kidding lol)
    regards
    anandchitra :-D

7. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear "Other Chitra',
    My dear girl - how dare you say, I am "hiding" under prior commitments?:mad:
    No, peNNE, no ! It is just that, as an elderly person, I want to pave way for others to share their "pique" (?) & win the "priceless prize" Cheeniya is offering !
    It is the parantha eNNam
    Yaam peRuvathai vida ivvaiyakam peruka !:-D
    Love
    To
    Chitra
    From
    Chithra.

1 person likes this.
  8. aishu22

aishu22 Gold IL'ite

Dear Sri,
    The post was tooo hillarious!!WOW, a contest announcement too...

Ok, heres my MURPHY's Law,it happened yesterday.

Made an important ppt for 35 pages and Was trying to attach it to the mail for a long time and at last i won.
    When i clicked on send button, lo! my modem went off and system rebooted and i never got the link back again till evening :bangcomp:

Don't know if it exactly matches ur way of MURPHYS law. Please choose for atleast a consolation prize!:tongue

9. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Hi nice topic

You stand in a queue for your tickets and the system hangs when it is your turn.

You pick out a nice dress/saree and another comes and tell you that she has already chosen that one.

You make the batter for cake and you turn to see that power is out.

You talk to your husband thinking he is listening, and he is busy seeing the cricket match.

The top one is you tell your host that your child does not like that stuff, and your child goes and pigs out on the same stuff.

the list is endless.

2 people like this.
  10. rajmiarun

rajmiarun Gold IL'ite

The worst ever that has always happened, I keep cooking for the festival or for the party so seriously or making Mysorepa which is my daughter's favourite and suddenly the gas switches off and there is no gad:bang :bang

The other thing that is happening for the last few months, my daughter gets ready to go to school and her school van crosses the corner of the street when she gets out of the compound (I have to drop her then):frown: