1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Life - The NRI way

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by prathi, Aug 9, 2005.

1. prathi

prathi Bronze IL'ite

Indus ladies has indian ladies spread across the globe. Each one of us have had different experiences living "ABROAD".

Why dont we start sharing some of our NRI experiences with others!!![​IMG]

I am from bangalore, living in malaysia. The Muslim majority of Malays love hindi movies and thus we get to watch hindi movies even on national channel! The Chinese form the back bone of business community here. There are also a dominant number of tamilians and sikhs who have been here for generations from the time of British raj. This is a warm society and relates to indian culture more or less. But still i found many a hard pill to swallow during my early days here - mainly FOOD as cited below.

We are vegetarian. On the first day of our arrival we thought we would eat in a roadisde restaurant (There are many such restaurants here which they call MAMAK STALLS). The man in the stall said there was only one thing on the menu - 'noodles with soup'. Very tired to find another place to eat, we thought we would continue and asked him for veg.noodles. To our amazement, he removed all the meat pieces from the soup and offered us the "VEGETARIAN NOODLES SOUP"[​IMG] . We politely rejected his offer went to a near-by shop and bought some bread and jam.

But for people who are non veg, this place is a paradise.Many of my friends from india love the sea food here.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2005

2. sheeba

sheeba Junior IL'ite

Strange experience!

We recently moved to the US, because my husband got an assignment here for a couple of years. Coming here, I realized not many Indians in Tampa compared to what I have heard about California and New York. So I used to feel happy (the feeling of being with fellow country people and not alone) when I got to see Indians in places like stores, malls, restaurants, etc.

To my surprise, we saw some of them also quite friendly. They approached us, wished us and enquired about us. But later I realized they did that with some hidden cause. They used to take our phone number, later call us and start marketing about some home-based (or) commission based business. Once they received a no favorable response, then that person would never call again and would not even bother to smile the next time they saw us in some place.

That was a strange experience for us. I'm not sure whether people in this community living in the U.S. have experienced this :?

1 person likes this.
  3. vidhyalakshmid

vidhyalakshmid IL Hall of Fame

Hi Sheeba,

I live in Newjersey where you are one among the million Indians.

Here in my experience, no desi says hello or hi to other fellow Indians.

Oneday, one lady smiled at me at the local grocery store, I was wondering

that is this newjersey. She got my number and she called the following week.

She started the marketing process and brainwashing something.

When I refused to that offer, she never called afterwards.

Here in US no Indian will do anything, unless there is a benefit for them.

Others may differ, I want to hear from others.:shock:

4. rathi

rathi Bronze IL'ite

Noticed for bindhis

Vidhya and Sheeba, while you gals(I'm cautious of not using the term 'guys' :lol: ) have shared your experience among the co-Indians in the US, I thought of sharing my experience as a NRI among the Americans.

Americans notice NRI ladies especially for their bindhis. They call it a dot on the forehead and ask about the culture behind wearing it. I have been asked by atleast one American when I go out with a colorful bhindi.

I do agree not many desis smile at you or say hi. I would rather not prefer for the fear of not getting into the business talk and phone calls.

But many Americans identify desis and talk something they know about India atleast for being courteous. Whenever we go to non-Indian restaurants (say Italian, Thai or Mexican), I have mostly seen the attender/waitress ask about the Indian restaurant we go to in that area. May be they ask to suggest to their other American customers or for themselves to go out. But it makes feel good to know their interest about Indian food.

5. akalya

akalya Junior IL'ite

Baby Cry!

Recently, myself and my husband went to a middle eastern restaurant in a Chicago suburb. There was one another Indian family dining there and had a baby with them. The baby was crying at constant intervals and the couple were trying to pacify the baby. Having used to baby cries in public places, the baby noise wasn't worrying us at all.

One elderly American lady dining there went to this Indian couple and said, "Can you please handle this baby. Your baby is spoiling my time here by crying constantly". The whole restaurant was watching and a little humiliated this Indian lady took her kid outside to pacify. We kind of felt sorry for her.

A few minutes later another middle aged American lady went to this Indian couple and said, "I apologize for how this other person behaved with you. It was totally unappropriate on her part to be upset with you just because you had a crying baby!. I just wanted you to konw that it didn't bother me a bit and I had a great time here. So, don't feel bad".

Wow!.

Every society has its fair share of jerks and nice people!

1 person likes this.
  6. Shal

Shal Senior IL'ite

Marketing gimmicks galore!

Hi Everyone,

Being new to the US, and having shifted from Colorado to California, my husband and I were indeed looking for people to socialize with. But to our dismay, whoever we found being nice to us, whether at a mall, a store or a restaurant, turned out to be one with ulterior motives:( To add it all up, it was only our desis who were into this business(or so it seemed...).
    My husband had already had such experiences, but for the kind of people we both are, it's difficult for us to be harsh with anyone, so we woudn't hurt them, we'd just smile and give them phone numbers(well, some random numbers, that is;) ) !!
    California seems to be filled with Indians, but most with this kind of intent...though we did find some good friends and some nice people to be with, we are still hoping we do not end up making friends with people who are overly nice and friendly in the first meeting itself!

Cheers,
    Shalini

7. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

When we moved from NY to WV, we had some Indian families. On their first meeting all are Ok and made us feel the warmth of our society. But these members do say hi and hello when ever we see them in public. If they need any help they shower us with gifts and soothing words. Otherwise, we are totally forgotten. :idontgetit:

sriniketan

8. Padmash

Padmash Platinum IL'ite

hi,
    nice thread. when i was in malaysia i was very happy so many indians specially from south and punjab, they helped us everything and nothing in return just we invited for dinner and we didn't felt anything different same feeling as in india. But, in China at my place i saw one indian couple in shopping mall i was billing i thought after billing i will talk to them but wonderful they didn't even smile and left mall within a second. second time i saw same couple in indian restaurant they hide their faces i was wondering why they are doing so already i am with foreigners i am not going to interfere them as we are with clients but their reaction leaves me breathless. Our clients were from uk and sidney they appreciate indian culture so much and they love indian food specially biryani and samosa, they even like Lord Shiva they have stidied books on God and tattooed on arms.

bye
    padma