1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Life teaches Grit!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by LightOfVictory, Jun 19, 2010.

1. LightOfVictory

LightOfVictory Junior IL'ite

I stumbled upon IL few years back for a specific question, but did not explore much then. I started to visit now and then. Recently, for the past few months, have become ardent and silent reader of many forums especially Relationships forums. The result - gained different perspective to same problem (and many more outcomes. But guess, it should to go to benefits of IL thread :) ) I had introduced IL to few of my friends and one of them insisted me to post one of my blogs (posted elsewhere long ago) in IL and said it will be useful for someone.

The earlier post (elsewhere) was not on any purpose, just wanted to blurt out my inner feelings. I was reluctant to post it here, but constant feedback from others, helped to decide to post it here. One of the reasons for my hesitation, I risk losing my identity (people I know now and I may meet in future in real world) can/will identify me here on IL. :hide:. But that's okay.......

It's indeed a long one and did not want to edit it, enough of my build-up :bonk, here it goes.............

Life teaches Grit!
    'It costs (you) an arm and a leg!' - We've heard of this idiom many items, referring to something expensive.

What if we really lose an arm?
    What if you lose an arm at a young age of 6?

- At that age, you would not have realized that you had lost a hand and that it was really a big deal. You would remain cheerful and play all day long in the hospital with your peer in the next bed! :thumbsup
    - You would love all the attention that your family and relatives bestow on you during your hospitalization. You would enjoy walking around the hospital campus and cherish the nature's healthful drink - tender coconut everyday sold by a local vendor!
    - You would order your adorable teachers to pay you visits often. Yup, you could do that! Your cousins would play with you during visitor’s hours everyday.
    - Of course, you would dread upon those early morning nurse visits to dress the sutures. It could be really painful.
    - Instead of attending summer camps, you would end up spending your summer vacation in the orthopedic section of the hospital, where you would be trained to do daily chores and other interesting tasks with single hand.
    - You would start practicing to write in your left hand and you would have written all the poems that your uncle had assigned, just for those chocolates that he had promised. :mrgreen:
    - Based on your academic excellence in the current year (1st grade!!!), you would be promoted to 2nd grade without writing annual exams... :D
    - When you go back to school, your own classmates would look at you as stranger initially. Over a period of time, you would definitely learn to ignore those looks and at last, you would also cease to intrigue them. You would definitely become part of their group again.
    - You would be allowed to bunk one-session everyday and go to hospital till you get an artificial arm.
    - You would have given the hospital ortho dept. an opportunity to experiment and create their first upper limb – mechanical artificial arm.
    - Once again your artificial arm would fascinate your friends. It could be heavy with belts and wires around and you might detest wearing it everyday.
    - After coming out of the shock of the fatal accident of her only child, your mother would turn out to be a strong-willed lady. Nothing else on this world would shatter her anymore. She would ask you to button your shirts on your own at the age of 8. When you were 11 years, she might have taught you to wash your lengthy hair on your own, the only task left to make you completely independent. Your mom would teach you tactfully to refuse help gracefully and be independent , without uttering it. As a adult you would always wonder if you would have done that , if you were in her shoes. :bowdown to her.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2010

2. LightOfVictory

- When you were playing outside the school with your friends, a god-fearing stranger could come to you straight and kiss your amputed hand and say 'May God bless you my child!".
    - You could even have to listen to old grannies in the villages say, "evlo kalaiyaa irukku indha ponnu, intha chinna vayasula kadavul ipdi pannitaarae!"(She looks good, why did god do this to her at this young age - Not a literal translation, though). you would want to tell them that it was not God's fault. But you would not.
    - You would long to learn to ride a cycle/two-wheeler instead of depending on those unreliable auto-walas (drivers of auto rickshaws –three-wheel automobile) who take you to school everyday.
    - You would never try to go a type-writing class; nevertheless you would learn to type using a computer key board with single hand in your eighth grade. You would have easily disproved what people had told you, "It is very difficult to operate computer with one hand."
    - During your school days, you would yearn to dance when your close friends are performing on the stage during school functions.
    - After every term-tests and exams, when you get to the stage for grabbing the 'First Rank' badge (a badge given in the school to recognize toppers in the given grade, to be pinned-up in your shirt till the next exams), you would be the only one to get noticed and remembered by your seniors and juniors amongst tens of people getting those badges across all grades.
    - You would be one of the favorites of the staff room, but you would never be able to find out whether it was because you were good in academics or otherwise.
    - When you grow up, you could have the privilege to upgrade your arm too. Remove it whenever you want and carry it in a bag. :crazy
    - Though you were not the topper of your class consistently, you would still be awarded "Special Student Award", a silver medal in your Higher Sec school. You would be wondering whether you were really special and how?!!!!!! :confused

- You would definitely get a place in the heart of your school/office house-cleaning people, and security staff. They are the ones whom you would meet everyday in your life and they would all love you from their heart. Their love is real.
    - Your friends could find your address easily. Anyone on your street would guide them to your house. :)
    - In the first two years of Engineering, you would have to resort to your artificial arm often for carpentry, welding, fitting, physics, chemistry and electrical lambs. When your 'Engineering Drawing' lecturer suggests you to get a special permission from the university for extra time in exams, your ego would refuse it. :notthatway:
    - With numerous events of Poojari (priest in the temple) saying sorry for asking to get the 'Prasad' (a little food stuff distributed after the prayers) in your right hand, you would be reluctant to get near poojaris in temples for anything. You would have to meet the priest personally before your wedding ceremony to give him a prior notice. :)
    - After teaching Chemistry a full semester, your professor would not have noticed. You could accolade yourself for hiding it so well.
    - After doing so much of geometry in high school, and Engineering drawing by yourself, sometimes you would not feel like refusing the offer by your classmates to draw margins in your record note. :)
    - Your mom, close friends would often forget the fact and ask you to use your other hand also. :yes:
    - During the college farewell, you would be surprised to hear that your classmates were inspired by you. But you will definitely and genuinely not know that how you were different from them and what you did differently to inspire them. :idontgetit:
    - You would realize, after clearing many rounds of written tests and failing always in GD/interview where you were noticed by the IT Geeks and HR gurus, that most of Companies who call themselves 'An Equal opportunity company' are not so. You would not blame them.
    - Your training and placement officer could vouch for your skills and fight with companies attending the campus. All his efforts would end in vain. Few interviewers would be honest and tell you that your case should be discussed with higher management. No regrets, of course
    - After getting a distinction in CSE (not a big achievement though, but definitely a proof that you could use(!) a computer), you would still have a separate and special computer test before ending up with a job.
    - Your office environment would be cool and all your apprehensions of not being accepted fade away quickly. You could easily establish yourself. Thanks to everyone around you.

3. LightOfVictory

- When you visit your hometown after three years a stranger would identify you and ask "Have you moved out of this town?" You would definitely not know how to react!
    - Even after a decade, your teachers would definitely identify you correctly amongst hundreds of students passing out everywhere. Its an identity that you did not ask for.
    - Your close friend would say "I am wondering how you dress up yourself with one hand?" Your answer simply would be "Nature teaches you!" (Resource Management?!)
    - When someone proposes, your first response always would be "Is it out of pity?"
    - You might have to lecture your fiancé about all the difficulties in running a family with one hand.
    - After two years of your marriage, you would be really delighted at those instances when your spouse had completely forgotten the fact.
    - A foreign land would make no difference to you. People would still stare at you whether you wear your artificial arm or not. East or West, there is no much difference!
    - Your new PCP (Primary care physician) would be awestruck seeing you. She would say, "Every time I see a keyboard, I remember you and wonder how do you type!"
    - When you visit your new customers/clients, you would be curious to see their reactions.
    - You would have to tell your spouse to hint his friends beforehand whenever you would meet them for the first time.

- When strangers encounter you - they would react in different ways, oblivious of your feelings; simply stare you, express pity, surprise, astonishment, etc. Some would be curious to know how you lost it. Should you feel happy/sad/proud/bad? No way! You would definitely learn to be indifferent to all these over the years. Life teaches GRIT! :)

4. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hello Lightofvictory
    Welcome to snippet. This is your 1st post here a long one but it is just wow the way you have written it. Good you did not edit it.
    This post can be written by only that person who has gone through all this.
    Sorry to ask you this dear are you the person with one hand????
    If so just hats off to you..........
    Even with one hand you have fought for your rights so successfully and proved yourself even with one hand you can do all the things that a nirmal person can do it.
    Your parents might be really proud of you.....

5. LightOfVictory

:thankyou2: Aruna. yes, I am afraid that it is long. Thanks for reading it patiently and stopping by to post your fb.

:yes:

If all the things that a normal person does can be done, then it simply means that it is natural to feel normal and be normal :) also be treated normal :)

6. mithila kannan

mithila kannan Gold IL'ite

Hats off to the mothers! simply loved your article,written from the heart.

Yes life teaches s to be tough.Look at the maids wh sometimes bring their little daughters to help them in the chores.Do you think she ikes to see her little one mopping the floor bending her entire body when she should be at school like other kids?But the mother does it not only to add to hr income but also to get the child eady to face the harsh rality of life

love
    mithila

7. mithila kannan

mithila kannan Gold IL'ite

My dear friend,
    Reading this article I was reminded of sudha chandran who lost one of her legs in a train accident,had jaipur leg fixed,now she is a fabulous dancer,an actor par excellence!Life teaches you to to get up when you fall down and stand straight continue your journey with grit and determination.Such pople are rolemodels for others.
    love

mithila

8. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Dear LightOfVictory,

Now I know how and why you chose your username! :thumbsup

LOV(e), you write well and I hope you keep writing such inspiring posts further. I wish you all the success for your blogging hobby.

Even if it might amaze you, it is my view that you were lucky in losing your hand at a tender age of six. Well, if it is your destiny to lose a hand, it is much easier to lose it as a young child than say, as a teenager. The older you get, the harder it is to do without one or the other physical faculties.

Not knowing life much different, you have accepted your situation as a matter of fact and are even able to distance yourself from it and note with amusement the reaction you cause in others. I admire your positive attitude which seems to be powered by a fine sense of humor. Like Mithilama says, also thanks to your wonderful mother who brought you up nurturing your self confidence.

Though you make light of your situation, I know it could not have been easy. My hats off to you for treating life with such gusto and achieving so much. People who have both eyes, hands, legs and all else in tact have turned out to be utter failures. Like you say, you have the Grit.

I am filled with joy and pride for you. I admire people who make light of their challenges and go ahead with optimism. I should know, I have one such darling girl and though things happened to her at the prime of her life, she too has a never say die attitude.

Jai ho for gals like you!:)

And...congrats, this post has been nominated for the FP of the month.

L, Kamla

9. LightOfVictory

Thanks Mithila Ma'm..
    I believe that every human being is gifted on some fronts and undergo sufferings on few other fronts. We just need to know/learn to how to react to these.
    Agreed, mothers (mostly) are great and unique species of The Mother Nature. we do not know what will we be or how will we be, without them. Always indebted to them.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2010
  10. LightOfVictory

Yes, there are 100s of people who have/had done this, throughout the history of mankind. I love Helen Keller :)