1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Life style and Indian community in OHIO

Discussion in 'Indians in Ohio' started by SupriyaDinesh, May 28, 2008.

1. radhikasreeram

radhikasreeram New IL'ite

thats nice... i too have a 5 month old..... i know how life is hectic with a 5 month old... so whats his\her name....

2. gayatri310

gayatri310 New IL'ite

hi supriya

how are you and how is your son?.I guess you must be busy with your organising your house and stuff.incase u need any help do let us know

gayatri

3. Mohanawalambe

Mohanawalambe New IL'ite

There is a great vedic temple in Delware near columbus, a very good place tomake friends the people volunteering in the temple are always so happy, & the kids run riot the kids love it,it is one happy family, & thefood is great, wish we had a temple here in Michigan. Dont miss the sunday school for the kid little anandas.
    you willlove this temple by the river.
    Mohana

srinithivasan likes this.
  4. thenmozhideepak

thenmozhideepak New IL'ite

Hi i take this oppurtunity to introduce..Im Thenmozhi presently living in jersey city, nj and we are moving to Columbus,Ohio this month end..due to my hubby's new project in JPMC..And we are looking for an apartment in and around JPMC. We are looking for some apartments that has good security features preferably with lots of Indians :) and a place close to shopping. Again we are in the nick of the moment so we are looking forward for ur advises and guidelines. We much appreciate ur help.

5. meenamurali

meenamurali New IL'ite

Hi
    We moved to the Columbus area recently and are looking to make new friends. Please private message me.

Do reply and we can get to know each other.

Meena

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2009
  6. Shveta711

Shveta711 New IL'ite

Hi Girls, Ladies :)

I m currently living in Dubai and soon moving with my 5 year old to Springboro near Dayton. Im really nervy. Dont have a clue as to how life would be. Could you guide me on how to go about settling down as in knowing people, how to go around, the schools. My husband is already there so house is not the issue. I want to know if one gets jobs in Dayton area (Im a business writer,). Also would it be a good idea to study , I plan to get into counselling. I want to make loads of new friends and engage in activities like sports , dance etc.

Pl guide

7. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Shveta711,

Welcome to Ohio. If I am not mistaken, Springboro comes between Dayton and Cincinnati and you have already said that your husband has a place. There is a huge Indian community in both the places. Dayton temple would be your first best bet. There is a big temple in Cincinnati as well, but it will be far for you. There are a couple of Indian stores and retaurants as well in Dayton and you could always come to Cincinnati - meaning Mason and Westchester areas.

As for school, your house will define the school your child will go to - check the county you are located in, then you will automatically get to know about the schools, googling helps. Public schools are quite good and it is not going to be hard adjusting there.

As said earlier, start with the temple and I am sure you will be able to gather the required info soon. As for weather, winters tend to get pretty cold, so come prepared for a nice fall and then a cold winter. About jobs, there are many employers in the area, it all depends on your visa status. For studies, there are a couple of good colleges in Dayton and ofcourse plenty of opportunities in Cincinnati as well.

Don't be nervy and I am sure you will love the place. Good luck with everything.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2009
  8. priya1232000

priya1232000 New IL'ite

Hi all,
    I am in mason Cincinnati.. i rally have to tell u the experiences v have faced in mason.. there is a restaurant called NEW KRISHNA in sharonville...If u are an Indian u will be treated there as a dust.. if u are a foreigner u will be a king there.. twice v hav been there.. v said thankyou to him he dint even respond.. again v went there for lunch he said that "i will give u 30 mins u should eat before that".. no hospitality to guest... they are waste.. but the food is really fantastic..
    MIDAS..... AUTO CENTRE... i beg u dont ever take ur car there even for a oil change.. bcoz of midas v are completely vexed.. v went for oil change to him he dint put the cap properly it seems .. while coming in high way our car shuted down.. no brake no start.. when v checked wit the mechanic nearby v came to know the midas was the reason.. ENGINE FAILURE.. so v had to pay 5000 dollars for this.. at last arguing with midas v got it done for 2000 dollars.. even its not our mistake .. he accepts and did this for us for half money.. now still our beautiful car has some noise.. so ve are completely out of mind..
    moral: dont goto midas... make sure ur oil cap is fitted properly.. dont run ur car if check oil light is on...:drowning
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

9. suryaveda

suryaveda New IL'ite

hii..

nice to c u all. we r in dublin, ohio. am housewife. i hd frnds here but thy gone to india 2months back. now am going mad at home:bonk. i hv nt frnds now a dys:-(. but felt happy somebody here frm my place....:). once
    again :hiya :)

10. pandusk

pandusk Gold IL'ite

Hey All,

we will be moving to Ohio(Columbus) from MI..let me know how the place is and cost of living, how is the lease agreement, any good apartments near Olentangy River Road..please guide me...

Thanks
    Pandu