1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Life Skills Your Children Should Learn As They Become Teenagers / Adults

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous in Parenting' started by Viswamitra, Nov 25, 2016.

1. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

When all of us do parenting, we often wonder what are the life skills our children should possess in their lives even before they become adults? Most of the time, the benchmark we use is what we knew when we were young or what our parents taught us. The times are changing and the children are constrained by the new environment that they need to cope up with. Therefore, they need to find new ways to build life skills apart from what they learn from their earlier generation parents. This struggle is happening in every home and unless both parents and children recognize this problem, they wouldn’t be able to resolve it amicably with a right solution.

1. Interact with strangers – Especially, if we raise a girl child, we tell her not to interact with a stranger. Once they grow up past Middle school, we need to educate them how to interact with the strangers. 4 years in the high school is time for them to prepare as they get ready to live on their own in the dorm or their own apartment when they begin their collegiate education. At the same time, these kids should be able to smell the danger, defend themselves or walk away depending on the circumstances they face. Social interaction is an important life skill one should possess at a very early stage in life.

2. Make a meal – In an environment where both parents are working which is common now in every household, the children should be able to prepare a quick meal on their own without endangering themselves at home, if necessary. With traffic, personal emergencies, conflict of time at work, early close of school, dependency of grandparents/baby sitters, etc., the children need to know how to feed themselves, if they were to stay home alone. The children need to realize in a few years, they will be on their own feeding themselves either with the friends or alone.

3. Time management – The children should learn to wake themselves up in the morning to prepare themselves to go to school as early as possible. Parents should not make it a habit to struggle to wake the children up before they go to work. Time management skills become a nightmare when they get older, if they don’t learn this life skill early in their childhood. Estimating time needed to finish homework, preparation time for exams, time needed to get to the school, getting ready to go to school, etc. should be learned by them automatically with the help of the parents.

4. Transportation – The children should familiarize themselves about, use of bike to go to school, use of public transportation, catching the school bus, ride with a friend’s parents to and from the school, traffic rules, what they should do when they don’t have their ride back home, etc. In some countries, earlier they learn to drive, better it is. They should learn how to pump gas, fill air into the tires and what they should do when the vehicle breaks down. They should learn to adjust to the weather, road conditions, etc. very quickly.

5. Exercise – In a world of audio-visual games, it is important that they learn one or more sports apart from learning the art of self-defense. Natural exertion in the form of sports control the tendency to become obese. If they don’t have inclination for sports, they should learn how to exercise at home or in a fitness center. Yoga, dance, biking, swimming, hiking, speed walk, etc. can help.

6. Knowledge building and sharing – In the world of web, there is so much information available for the children to access both good and bad. They should learn to discriminate which information is authentic. Unlike the earlier generation, they can build a lot of general knowledge on their own besides academic education. They should share such information with the friends and have an open mind to listen to what their friends are willing to share.

7. Serve – A very important trait the children should learn at a young age is how to help people in need. Whether it is helping an elderly person, another child in need of help, an animal that needs love and support, they should be able and willing to do such acts. The parents accompanying them to do social work during the weekends make them indulge more and more in such acts later.

8. Creativity – As their brain development takes place, they are looking to get involved in creative work. They may have inclination to sing, dance, play a musical instrument, indulge in painting or other arts or even get involved in gardening. The parents should in fact, involve them in whatever they are interested in. This is an important phase of their development.

9. Communication – This is an art and science. Sometimes, the best way to communicate is to remain silent and listen as much as possible. Other times, standing up for themselves or for others through effective communication is a great trait. Learning to differentiate the situation and circumstances is very important. In fact, this skill helps them when they find their life partner and long-term friends.

10. Attire – A child that knows what outfit to wear for specific occasions are the ones that gets the best attention in a social gathering. To the extent possible, the parents should tell them the occasion and make them come to their own conclusion about what to wear. Initially, it is hard but over a period, the children learn very quickly.

I have other points but limiting this to some major ones that came to my mind. I am eager to listen from the ILites about their parenting experience.

2. Sparkle

Sparkle Platinum IL'ite

@Viswamitra sir,

I want to add one more pointer:

- Handling money:
    Children must be taught how to handle cash and cards properly. Even if they buy something on their own they should be taught to make sure they got the correct items, that the prices are right and that they got the correct change if they used cash. Save a part of their money for future use. They need not spend everything they have, they can save a part of the money for future use. When they live with roommates, there will be circumstances when someone borrows money from them. Some lessons about lending money based on parents experiences will help them in different situations.

3. Viswamitra

@Sparkle

It is a wonderful addition and I know I was forgetting something. Overall, knowing how to balance budget, plan for expenses, spend wisely, conservation of money, etc. are skills they need to learn. They should not be waiting until after they earn money to learn that skill.

Viswa

Sparkle and Shanvy like this.
  4. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Viswa, good list. Just the other day I was thinking of a list too, but it was a bit different.. it was what are the skills that children can pick up later by themselves thanks to the internet. The idea was that with time being limited, it is better to focus on skills that they need to know before the need arises.

jskls and Viswamitra like this.
  5. Viswamitra

@Rihana,

It doesn't matter where, how and from whom they pick those skills. They need to build those skills. Period. Both parents and children are busy in their own ways but they need to take time to build these skills early before they become independent.

Viswa

6. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Perhaps I wasn't clear when I wrote my previous post. The list of skills in first post and the one Sparkle added are must-know and that they need to master to a decent extent before they leave home.

I was talking about another list, which would be skills that they might need later in life, but, can get them from the internet or other sources. Such as, how to maintain a car, household repairs, cleaning a toilet, ironing a shirt and so on. IMO these are nice to know but if time constraints prevent them from learning these before leaving home, it's not a big deal.

==============
    Thinking aloud: How about the skill to choose a Significant Other or life partner or even close friends?

sindmani, guesshoo, jskls and 2 others like this.
  7. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

@Rihana recently ds was at home alone for a week and he looked up on YouTube for help on ironing formal shirts. And as for cleaning toilets cleaning his cycle washing clothes by hand( the young man made holes in a pair of new jeans. Scrubbed them to threads lol) all hands on as a part of team chores at home regularly.

Choosing significant other or close friends cannot be taught. They learn by observing and emulating to a certain extent. And I believe friends happen and whether they remain friends or best friends for life depends on the kiddo's views at that point. The only thing I have always told my kids is that never think that you can change someone to your liking later either be ok with the trait or move on.(I believe that it is this attitude that after marriage I will mould the other to my liking that hurts a lot of relationships)

@Viswamitra sir that is a very precise list and I know a few parents who say that the kids will learn these later while the present focus should be studies alone.

@Sparkle money managing and being aware of how hard it is to earn it. Even the loaded bank balance is a waste if he or she does not know to manage.

One more that I think necessary is being involved. Knowing what is happening with your family. Recently I saw a gentleman blank when asked about his mom's allergies and blood group. It may look like a simple thing. But the habit to be aware and involved without being intrusive can be a good trait

Good thread..

sindmani, kiran82, Viswamitra and 6 others like this.
  8. Sparkle

Sparkle Platinum IL'ite

I agree, managing money is a very important skill. It can be imparted by parents to children through very simple things like owning a piggy-bank and verifying the amount monthly, when asked to buy simple groceries check and return the balance, maintain a balance sheet for the pocket money etc. I feel these things will go a long way and should be taught to kids even before they earn their own money. Even with piggy-bank or pocket money, they can be asked to do simple chores to earn the money to learn its importance.

Viswamitra and Shanvy like this.
  9. Sparkle

Sparkle Platinum IL'ite

I am adding one more pointer:

- Knowing how to use medicines and/or first aid:
    Its OK to have a few common over the counter medicines/lotions/ointments in hand when children start living outside of home or when at college like dorm rooms. Knowledge about tried and tested home remedies will also help. Most children learn from a young age what requires a doctors visit and what doesn't with proper guidance. As adults, they should be able to do differentiate the situation and seriousness independently. Knowing the medicine names for simple illnesses is OK, at the same time children should be given that space to talk about anything happening in their life, so they will approach parent for guidance if needed.

10. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Good one @Sparkle, they need to learn first aid. the use of first aid box, to think rather than panic.

(India specific)
    with a son in college and at hostel i believe preparing them to adjust to whatever life throws helps. like personally my son's hostel leaves you in tears as a parent if you have never lived in one and also expect the best for your kid.
    but we talked and we were prepared for the worst. same goes for the hostel mess food. it is really bad and is hard on a foodie. but then focusing on your goals and the bigger picture helps and that is where we need to guide is my opinion.

So adjustments and adapting to whatever be the scenario, is something i would stress on. and also practicing not to freeze during a situation rather think on your feet..(It comes with experience but prodding them towards that is not wrong).

adapting and adjusting with your roommate is something you learn on the job but being prepared to do it with family and siblings and cousins lays a good foundation.

Practice to ask: you know when you are lost and the man looks at the internet and gprs rather than asking the guy who is walking the road. i believe that we need to ask. that is one thing i have drummed into my kids. you have to open your mouth and ask no body outside is going to spoon feed or anticipate and understand your needs.

Prioritize, focus and do what needs to be done, yet enjoy life, stop to smell the roses. life is not always about marks, the next class, the next job is something i remind them and yes often myself too.