1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Life is too terrible without people to talk to!!

Discussion in 'Friends & Neighbours' started by anika987, May 23, 2014.

1. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

I am a stay at home mom in the usa...

I have no friends.My neighbors most r working and they r so busy with their lives.
    My good friends moved back to India for good.my kids are too small and dh wants to wait few more years before i
    get back to work..

Tried making a new friend but she is nothing short of a bully..bossy and very very short tempered..how can i tag along with her just becoz she likes going out and talking?I am not able to be myself with her..

considering my situation how do I make "friends?"..
    talking to people is one thing but noone wants to be friends..I feel too lonely here.
    I tried joining the gym but since kids r small I am finding it tough to make it to gym often.
    Hubby says as kids grow older,I get to meet more people and eventually make more friends..is it true?
    It is so terrible to be at home all alone!I want to have a lively atmosphere around me.I need to do something..desperately..help plz!!

2 people like this.

2. FromMars

FromMars Gold IL'ite

You need a place to network. Try Toastmasters International - Home Visit a couple of clubs. They are all over. You dont need to join to visit. Once you decide which club you like, you can join. You can join more than ( its too cheap ) . Its mostly 1 hour meeting every week. It will make a world of difference.

Also, do you have a regional association? Why not volunteer to be an officer.

Last edited: May 23, 2014
  3. letsknow

letsknow Silver IL'ite

You can join community classes, they are usually cheap and as you get to learn something , might get chance to meet new ppl and make new friends

2 people like this.
  4. kanthtx

kanthtx Gold IL'ite

hi aruna -
    I see u r in boston... try joining a temple community.. u might get some sensible people to friend with...

u can try to mingle with some one in ur apt or home community.. or at kids activity places...
    u can invite couples one at a time to ur home for tea and snacks, so that u can start assessing them... without urself exposing completely...

making friends is always trial and error process... as such u need just keep doing this more often until u find the ones u seem to gel with...

2 people like this.
  5. sheztheone

sheztheone Platinum IL'ite

You say your kids are "too small." How old are they? If the older one is old enough to go to preschool, you can send him/her to preschool, thereby getting yourself more time and also a place to potentially meet friends. You can make friends with other moms and start planning playdates etc. In my case, I made most of my new friends that way.
    It is also a good way to start getting your kids to mingle with other kids and adults, since, from your post, they do not seem to get opportunities to meet a lot of people.

You can also start volunteering work for a couple of hours in the weekend, leaving your kids with DH. That way, you get some "only you" time and kids get to bond better with dad.

1 person likes this.
  6. jigisha321

jigisha321 Gold IL'ite

OP, Since you are in the US, where facilities are good, can't you arrange for a daycare where you can leave the kids for some hours while you go for gym ? If that is not an option, then what about baby-sitters ?
    You need some time for yourself also...you being lonely and depressed is not good for kids also...so have a talk with your H..arrange for someone to look after the kids for sometime and join a class..any class..gym/swimming/library/dancing ...this will also open up scope of meeting new people...

Last edited: May 25, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  7. abc00

abc00 Gold IL'ite

Look for free library story time sessions for small kids. Every week you can meet moms and kids of the same age. Slowly you can exchange phone numbers and meet often outside. Look for gyms (YMCA) with free child care facility where you can leave the kids in child watch while you exercise. This is a good way of taking care of yourself as well as meeting new people.

You need to be happy to take care of your kids and family. Yet another way is to create a google group. Also you can create an email id (without your name on it - create like a group name) and post the flyer in the local indian store you visit. Like minded people can see that and get in touch with you.

You need to me more creative and reach out to people. I remember Indusladies meeting in Boston long time ago. Check the forum here and also post here for a meet-up.

Stay happy :)

2 people like this.