Life is like that...

Discussion in 'Jokes' started by ambika ananth, Nov 3, 2005.

1. ambika ananth

ambika ananth Bronze IL'ite

How sometimes we sail far away into the 'materialistic sea' missing out on the treasure we have on the shores..here is a perfect example... read and respond if this is "wise or otherwise."

<TT>There was once an American businessman who was sitting by the beach in a small Mexican village. As he sat, he saw a Mexican fisherman rowing a small boat towards the shore and noticed that the fisherman has caught quite a number of big fishes that is known to be a delicacy.</TT>

<TT>The American was really impressed and asks the fisherman, "How long does it take you to </TT><TT>catch so many fishes?"</TT>

<TT>The fisherman reply: "Oh, just a short while." "Then why don't you stay longer at sea and you could catch even more?" The businessman was astonished.</TT>

<TT>The fisherman simply does not agree, "This is enough to feed my whole family?" he says. The businessman then asked: "So,>what do you do for the rest of the day then?"</TT>

<TT>The fisherman replies: "Well, I usually wake up early in the morning, go out </TT><TT>to sea and catch a few fishes, and then I would go back and play with my kids.In the afternoon, I will take a nap with my wife, and evening comes, I will join my buddies in the village for a drink, we played guitar, sing and dance throughout the night. My day was ever so complete and carefree."</TT>

<TT></TT>

<TT>The businessman does not agree with his way of life and offered a suggestion to the fisherman.</TT>

<TT>"I am a PhD holder graduated from </TT><?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place><st1:placeName><TT>Harvard</TT></st1:placeName><TT> </TT><st1:placeType><TT>University</TT></st1:placeType></st1:place><TT>, specializes in business management. I could help you to become a more successful person.From now on, you have to spend more time at sea and try to catch as many fishes as possible. And when you have save enough money, you could buy a bigger boat and catch even more fishes. As you go on,you will be able toafford to buy more boats, recruit more fishermen and lead a team of your own. Soon you will be able to set-up your own company, your very own production plant for canned food and do direct selling to your distributors.</TT>

<TT>At that time, you will have moved out of this village and to Mexico city,and then expand your operation to LA, and finally to New York city, where you can set-up your HQ to manage all your other branches."</TT>

<TT>The fisherman asks, "So, how long would that take?"</TT>

<TT></TT>

<TT>The businessman reply: "About 15 to 20 years."</TT>

<TT>The fisherman continued, "And after that?"</TT>

<TT>The businessman laugh heartily, "After that, you can live like a king in your own house, and when the time is right, you can go public and float your shares in the Stock Exchange, by then you will be rich, your income will be coming in by the millions!!"</TT>

<TT></TT>

<TT>The fisherman ask, "And after that?"</TT>

<TT>The businessman says, "After that, you can finally retire, you can move to a house by the fishing village, wake up early in the morning and catch a few fishes, then return home to play with the kids, have a nice afternoon nap with your wife, and when evening comes, you can join your buddies for a drink, play the guitar, sing and dance throughout the night!!"</TT>

<TT></TT>

</PRE>

<TT>The fisherman was puzzled, "Isn't that what I am doing now??"</TT>

</PRE>

Last edited: Nov 3, 2005

2. sudhavnarasimhan

sudhavnarasimhan Silver IL'ite

A very good one!

Hello Ambika,

That was very cute and made me laugh aloud at the end. Life is so simple from the eyes of the fisherman. That is really what everyone should be doing, enjoying life with the near and dear ones and not be running after what the American Harvard university PH. D proclaims. I really wish our men , i mean husbands who are always running after these material benefits read and realise this and spend more time with the real people who matter most to them.
    I really wonder where we all heading to in this mad rush or search for wealth which is supposed to bring with it the security and happiness!
    But i guess that is how society functions and we need to keep up with it. But i have always been sharing such thoughts and friends around me would wonder if i have lost my mind or what. In fact no one believes that i don't hanker after money in my dance field also. They look at me in disbelief when i say that most of the shows i conduct here are for my satisfaction and are mostly free.
    Well that is the paradox of life.....let's see what our other Indus ladies have to say on this.....

3. nuggehallipankaja

nuggehallipankaja New IL'ite

Message of 'Lifeis like that'

This is a wonderful piece of writing, propelling the reader to ponder over the real values of life; The realistic approach of the fisherman is one to be emulated , atleast in a small measure by the overambitious race of today

NUGGEHALLIPANKAJA.

4. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

That is a very thought provoking piece:) I have read this before, atleast , a similar one. The moral is so simple and so true. But I wonder how many such fisherman are there today?! Wish life were so simple:? .

5. ambika ananth

ambika ananth Bronze IL'ite

thanks

Thanks dear Sudha, Pankaja and Kamla

True, even I wish life is so simple as led by the fisherman. This particular anecdote I incorporated in one of my recent Telugu short-stories, which appeared in the Diwali Issue of a popular Weekly. The Editor liked the story precisely for this message. Though it may not be hundred percent true, still the message has a deep meaning which shows what makes life an enjoyable peaceful experience.

thanks
    ambika