1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Life is a Needle to Weave Golden Thread of Sweet Memories

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by iyerviji, Jan 22, 2013.

1. iyerviji

iyerviji Finest Post Winner

The Size Of Candles May Differ But They Yield The Same Brightness.
    It’s Not The Matter Of Your Position, But Your Ability That Shines.’

Mindi's thread Runnn brought me memories of my working days. I started working from the age of 20 yrs in the year 1963.That time I was not so courageous in life and never used to talk much. Through my brother I got a good job as a Typist in a Company in Hyderabad and it was far from my home. I had to travel by bus. It was a small depot and only few staff. Our Manager, Accountant, a Clerk and myself as Typist. We were all in the same room. Our Manager an elderly person used to sit in the same room and I used to be so scared. I used to get scared to have coffee also in front of him. Since it was my first job I used to have many doubts which I used to ask my colleague and he used to help me out. He always used to say Mar gaya. I had good experience working there and since my brother got a job in Mumbai I had to leave that job after two years but since my boss liked my work he recommended for a job in Mumbai who were Distributors of my present Company. I got a job in two days after coming to Mumbai. Before coming to Mumbai everyone used to scare us that you have to be very careful there, dont talk to strangers , they will lead you in a wrong path, that children dont know their father as the come home very late and by that time children will be asleep.

I had to travel a long distance by train. First one week my brother came with me to drop me and I was not used to travelling by train and Mumbai trains dont stop for long and you should know the knack of getting into the train by that time. Somehow I got used to that. People never used to waste their time in the train, some would be reading books, some will be cutting vegetables, some singing in a group and some will be standing near the door and would not like to come inside and if anyone says antything they will start fighting. When someone gets into the train first thing they will find out where the other person is getting down as they have to travel long distance. Evenings we friends used to go and have Bhel puri, Pani Puri etc from the road side . Though I never used to have much money to spend for the eatables but my colleagues always used to take me also and spend for me.A colleague of mine was staying near our house so mornings mostly we used to go together. Since I was working in Accounts Department had to sit late sometimes and he only used to drop me home late in the night. If I used to say I will get late going home if I sit late my boss used to say when he is there why worry. Once we all friends had gone for a picnic and I never knew that we have to wear casual dress . I wore Pure silk saree and went, later I felt so funny seeing everyone wearing simple dresses. First two years I travelled by train and then we shifted to another place from where I used to travel by bus. I used to get starting bus so not much of a problem. Only evenings big Q will be there while going home and difficult to get the bus in time.

Then after my brother's marriage he got his own house and I stayed with my brother and sis in law and from our house my office was only 4 or 5 stops so not much of a problem travelling. Me and another friend used to go out before going home. My brother and sis in law used to come late as they used to visit her parents before coming home. I had to come home and boil the milk and warm the food. Some days I used to get late and used to come and do the work fast, fast before they reached home. It was nice staying with my bro and sis in law . Weekends we used to go out. After two years I got married and I was staying in Central Suburb. From home to station I had to walk a long distance, then go by train and again from station to office used to go by bus. Sometimes half way I used to travel by train then half way by bus. In our stop there was a theatre call Kismat and the bus conductor used to say kismatwale uthar jao and I used to think only lucky people should get down.:)When first I landed in Mumbai and say the bus where BEST was written I used to think they are Best buses. During rainy seasons the trains neve rused to be in time and sometimes it used to halt and never go further. Then we had to find some way to reach home. Sometimes I used to stay back in a place where relative or someone used to be there then go back home next morning. Those days no phone also at our house so somehow used to send the message to home people. After marriage from 1973 to 1991 I travelled by train. Then after I had hip bone fracture in 1991 I started travelling by Contract Bus.

From 1991 to 2002 I travelled by Contract Bus and we had a jolly good time travelling by Contract Bus. I have happymemories of the same. My 50th Birthday was celebrated in the Bus. My friends bought a cake and made me cut in the cake. There was one uncle who used to sponsor idli and some sweet in the mornings. I had also taken some days. We had 3 buses and we used to celebrate all the festivals int he buses. When the bus completed 10 yrs they had a competetion between the buses and prizes also were there. That year we had a jolly good time celebrating the festivals. Evenings we usedt o play some games and when we used to have housie most of the times I used to win. We also used to order some snacks everyday and have , one we had kalinga also in the bus. In the office also we used to have Carrom Board Competition and I have also won in singles and doubles. I also got an opportunity to visit Lonavala and Nasik where all the employees in Accounts Department were taken. When we went to Lonavala I had just joined office after my hip bone fracture but I did not want to miss the fun so went with a stick in hand and enjoyed with everyone. We used to celebrate everyone's birthdays in the office and I was told to buy the greeting card. When anyone was leaving I only used to buy the farewell cards. For Onam someone or other used to bring Pal Payasam and distribute. Me and another friend of mine used to like to dress up well on festival days and our Director used to appreciate and used to tell us to informher in advance so that she can also wear nice saree those days. We had a saree shop nearby and me and my friend were regular customer there. We were like a family int he office and never felt we were working. I worked for 38 years and those memories are always there . It was very sad the day I took VRS and had to part with my friends.

5 people like this.

2. Aspire

Aspire Gold IL'ite

Thanks for sharing those wonderful memories amma.

Got reminded of the time when in my youngers days in Mumbai with my cousins and relatives. We used to have fun going in the electric train and the double decker buses across relatives places and for site seeing during holidays.

1 person likes this.
  3. iyerviji

Thanks a lot Aspire dear for giving the first fb and making my day. Glad to know that also had the opportunity t travel by train and double decker buses.

4. AArchana

AArchana Gold IL'ite

Viji ma!! Very nice to read your beautiful memories!!

Life is a Needle to Weave Golden Thread of Sweet Memories
    Very true lines ma!!

--
    Archana

1 person likes this.
  5. rkgurbani

rkgurbani IL Hall of Fame

It was such a pleasure reading about your sweet memories Viji Maa. Yes, memories are for a lifetime. No matter what, they will always be with us. Some memories make us smile while some bring tears to our eyes.
    Hence, it is very true that to have good memories we must do good always and try to bring a smile to everyone because these are the very moments that will be good memories for us one day

1 person likes this.
  6. archana506

archana506 Gold IL'ite

very nice writeup...

1 person likes this.
  7. knbg

knbg Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Vitamin Viji aunty.....
    The beautiful title pulled me in.....
    Your sweet memories ....nicely summed up in your style made me smile and also think about how to make life interesting.......:thumbsup
    Loved the post and love you aunty...........:):)
    flowers02.gif

2 people like this.
  8. iyerviji

Thankyou AArchana dear glad you liked the post

9. iyerviji

RKG dear glad you liked the post. True dear we always treasure our memories and when we di good to others we get back good in return. Thanks for the sweet message

10. iyerviji

Thanks Archana dear