1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Life is a mixture of joys and sorrows

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by PushpavalliSrinivasan, Jul 4, 2012.

1. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

On the 24th of September 2011 we went to Srirangam to attend a get together arranged by my niece on the eve of her 60th birthday. From Chennai my brother, sister in law, my younger sister and her husband from Hyd, my daughter, and another niece traveled together by Rockfort Express. On 25th morning more relatives joined us at Srirangam.

After having our morning cuppa we all went to Amma Mandapam Padithurai to have a holy dip in the river Cauveri. My niece had arranged a Kalyana Mandapam for the get together just a stone’s throw away from the mandapam. The Cauvery was full and we all enjoyed the cool water and the small fish tickling our feet was really enjoyable. Some of our relatives had taken bath at the chatram and were telling that they would accompany us just to see how much water was in the river.

Lo! Now after seeing us wading and playing in the water they could not resist the temptation to join us.
    Thus we all had a whale of a time and after much reluctance we had to come out of the water as our niece had told us to return by 8.30 to have breakfast.

We all had our breakfast and second dose of cuppa and assembled at the hall. As we all knew the paternal relatives of my niece also we all were talking in groups. Like a kaleidoscope the groups were changing and it was a clourful sight. Pictures were also taken group after group.

At one p.m. lunch was served and I could not recall the items served. But it was quite sumptuous and I could not relish all items as I am a poor eater. After lunch some people were taking rest in the AC rooms allotted to them by the host and some were chit chatting.

One of my close relatives who was born and brought up at Srirangam told us to be ready at 3.30 p.m. and she would take us to have darshan of Lord Ranganatha. She told us that she could not assure us for darshan as it was being first Purattasi Saturday and there was a big rush. We consisted a group of 11 persons and we all went along with her. As we expected there was a great rush, and fortunately a person who serves at the temple helped us to buy tickets for special darshan and so we were able to have darshan of Lord Ranganatha. We also had darshan of Sriranga Nachiyar and Udaiyavar. Then after having special panneer soda we returned to the hall.

My niece had arranged for Sri Velkkudi Krishnan’s discourse at 6.30 p.m. She had deputed a person to bring him to the marriage hall. But that person had taken his own time and so Sri Krishnan arrived just a few minutes to seven. My DH had the great opportunity to garland him. Sri Velukkudi had given a discourse for an hour on the topic of our Sanadhana dharma.

Then the dinner was served with all yummy yummy dishes and being Saturday I ate only rumali roti with aloo side dish. Vanilla ice cream was also served, but I just turned away from the ice cream table. Hope that you all will agree that I have control over my taste buds!

The next day we had engaged a van and went to near by temples after breakfast. We first visited Uththamar Koil also known as Thirukarambanur. Here all the Tri-Murthis Bramha, Vishnu and Siva give darshan to devotees. Then we visited Azakiya MaNavalapuram, where Lord Sundararajan with Sridevi and Bhudevi is in standing position and as for His name He is very beautiful. Then we went to Thiruvellarai where we had darshan of Sri Pundarikakshan. We had left for Chennai on the same night. Thus we had a wonderful trip as well as enjoying with relatives and also having darshan at temples. In the last one year we went to Srirangam thrice and on each occasion we also visited nearby temples.

On the 6th of October I had received a shocking news. One of my friends rang up and told that our friend Nirmala expired in the morning around 7 a.m and her husband had called her and told to pass the information to close friends. Further he had told her that he had donated the body to MMC. The death message itself was a shocking news for me and the news of donating the body to MMC made me shudder. She has two sons and both of them were in foreign countries.

Though my friend’s husband was also close with us, he is a moody person. Anyway I called up his number as I wanted to confirm with him. He just told me that my friend expired at 7 A.M. and he made arrangements to donate the body to MMC and it was placed in the mortuary. I was not in a position to ask any further questions. Then my hubby spoke to him. He asked him whether his children would be able to see their mother’s mortal remains. He told that he had to find out. Perhaps he was in a dazed position. But I felt so bad that the body was donated without performing any last rites. I can’t digest my friend’s body being donated before her sons’ arrival.:notthatway: I can accept donating eyes or donating some organs if a person is brain dead and no hope of survival.

Anyway the decision was taken and there might be a valid reason for it. But I felt very sad :-( for I could not even see my friend's mortal remains for the last time.

Life may be short or long, live it with a purpose.

2. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Mrs.Srinivasan,

I was very happy to read the best time you had in Srirangam. I was also saddened to know about the demise of your friend. I am sure there should be a good reason why he decided to do what he did. May be that was your friend's wish as well. I understand your feelings of her not getting last rites from her children. But I know for sure her soul will reach the Lotus Feet of the Lord by her own Puniya.

Viswa

3. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Dear Viswa,
    The most sad part is we were not informed when she was seriously ill and was hospitalized. At least I could have seen her once before she departed from this world.
    Thank you for your heartening response,
    Love,
    PS