1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Life is a Googly

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by arch1209, Jul 11, 2012.

1. arch1209

arch1209 Platinum IL'ite

We all make plans in life but uparwala (as we Bombaywallahas call him) or the alimighty has different plans for everyone. You start every day with the thought that today you will hit a century but he throws a googly at you and in some cases you prepare for the worst but he does something for you that puts a smile on your face.
    My life is no different either. Unlike most children who love going to school I hated school, I just hated it from the bottom of my heart. Reason I would like to believe is that my parents put me in school when I was too young, because I started talking when I was just 1 years old by the time I was 2 I knew all the rhymes and the standard answers to "what's your name?" "how old are you" "what's your parents name" and of course, "who do you love more, mommy or daddy?" Like most parents mine also thought I was the best thing to happen to the world after "Einstien" so they pulled some strings and put me into school a few months before I turned 3. The year was 1985 - now I was told that all you do in school is make friends and play with other kids of your age. When I reached school I realized that they comfortably forgot to tell me that there would be a teacher in school who would shhhshh me the moment I opened my mouth. I was also introduced to a sentence 'finger on your lips' and the concept of WRITING. No points for guessing I hated both. I refused to write, I would tell my teachers "Miss I will say all the answers you write it for me."
    At that time I lived with my aunt, she would come to pick me from school and every day after school she would sit down with other kids from my class and take down notes. Because I just refused to write. Gifts, scoldings, beatings - come what may I refused to write!!!
    We had an exam at the year end and while I got full marks in all the oral exams I failed the writing exams - because of course I didn't write (seeds of a rebel were sown much early in life). My school wanted me to sit through my Jr. kg or L Kg or Pre Kg - and my family was disappointed, all their dreams of having the next Einstien in their family were broken. My mom requested my teacher to consider me and they agreed to have a re-exam - but there was a hitch. I would have to clear the written exam in order to be promoted to the next class. My mom emotionally blackmailed me into writing at least something in the answer paper. Results were out and I had passed -the family was happy and so was the teacher that she had gotten rid off me.
    This story has become a family joke today, reason something that I hated as a child eventually went on to become my passion. Yes, I ended up becoming a journalist and my only passion in life today is writing. Writing without bounds, writing anything that comes to my mind.....It helps that I make my bread and butter (well a journalist does not make enough money to afford butter) with it.
    So you can see the googly he threw it me, But I'm glad for this one....I wonder what next?

2. Pallavi4me

Pallavi4me Platinum IL'ite

:rotfl:rotflHa.. Ha..

Thats really a googly arch1209. Your post made me smile early in the morning.

That is what is life ultimately, Right:thumbsup. Enjoyed your humorous narration Einstein of the family.

3. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

so arch, you are a journalist and still want to be assured that you write well??:) Another way to look at this.. maybe subconsciously you always knew that you were going to write ,write and write.. so why begin so early ?

2 people like this.
  4. arch1209

arch1209 Platinum IL'ite

@Pallavi4me Thank you so much I am glad my writing made you smile :) I hope you are always smiling
    @Mindian....That is an interesting thought, I never looked at things that way. Having been at home for four-years, actually killed my confidence a little but thanks to IL and sweet people like you I am getting back my confidence :)

5. mshanj

mshanj Senior IL'ite

Hi arch... oh it was so well narrated, i felt while in the middle of your post i felt, how come someone hated writing had written something narrate so well... and your final line clarified it to me...

That was a nice post and humorously written...

6. AArchana

AArchana Gold IL'ite

Ha ha.. :rotfl:rotflSo nicely narrated arch..

Results were out and I had passed -the family was happy and so was the teacher that she had gotten rid off me.

Can't stop laughing at the bold line.. You are really a good writer.. Best wishes dear..

7. introspection

introspection Silver IL'ite

You really can write .. touched some raw nerves there !! keep going .. and keep posting ...felt your writing style was similar to somebody I admire ... guess he is a famous writer now .... Pursue your passion, maybe you can churn out a best seller one day ....... !!

1 person likes this.
  8. Kristine

Kristine Silver IL'ite

Hi arch1209 , loved your humorous narration ..Keep writing.
    Reminds me of another kid who hates writing- a left-hander.

Best wishes to einstein..

9. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear arch
    What we hate doing in our younger life does become our strength as we grow older. The longer we take to start liking something, the greater we get addicted to it. I do not have to go too far to give you a suitable and convincing example for this theory of mine. People who have been associated with me from my infancy always tell me what an acute problem it was to feed me. I hated food of all kinds till almost my tenth year. The only tears that my mum shed in her early married life were caused by my stubborn resistance to food. My history is not clear when my sudden transformation took place but before anyone knew anything, I started eating with a vengeance! I have now become so passionate a foody that it requires superhuman efforts to wean me away from my supercharged plates!

Your mention of uparwala brought me lovely memories of Dev Anand’s classic song ‘Uparwallah jaan kar anjaan hai’ in the film Kala Bazar. The song plays a pun on the word uparwala. It is shot in a train and Dev Anand in the song actually means the girl (Waheeda Rehman) on the upper berth but puns the word to signify uparwala as God for the benefit of other passengers!

I don’t mind a googly being thrown at me as I have learned to tame it like Sachin Tendulkar over my seven decades of life. But I am mortally afraid of anyone trying to throw a spanner in my work!
    Sri

3 people like this.
  10. kelly1966

kelly1966 Platinum IL'ite

Arch..
    glad you've found your passion to write once again.. so may the uparwala ensure such with many such entertaining narrations from you
    amen
    K