1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Life In Nj Compared To Other States?

Discussion in 'Indians in New Jersey' started by chaaral, Apr 26, 2016.

1. chaaral

chaaral Silver IL'ite

Hi,
    I was wondering how is life in nj compared to other states?

if you have lived in other states and moved to NJ or lived in NJ and moved out can you please share your experience. what were the pros and cons and how u felt.

I have lived in NJ all the time( from the time came to US) so no idea about other states, but always wanted to move out of NJ but was stuck here due to job and GC process. I understand family and friends are another reason. but apart from that i need your thoughts.
    Many of my friends always either love or hate NJ. one place is not perfect in everything, there is always good and bad but have been thinking about it. any thoughts??

2. JGVR

JGVR Gold IL'ite

I have lived in a few states(south,midwest) other than NJ.In those states i felt work life was a bit more relaxed and balanced, people were much friendly and down to earth than at NJ.

chaaral likes this.
  3. chaaral

chaaral Silver IL'ite

agree with you abt work pressure. in nj too many indians, so mostly everybody has their own group and making new friends is a bit difficult.

4. SoniaG

SoniaG New IL'ite

I lived in many states including NJ so I can definitely share my first hand experience.
    Pros of NJ: A lot of Indians so you make a lot of friends. Indian shopping, food, nanny, cooks, temples are a plenty.
    cons of NJ: high cost of living. expensive housing. work pressure for husband and wife both directly and indirectly. long commute. There is tremendous pressure on students in schools due to over population of Indians. Pressure on students in college as there is just one good public university (Rutgers) for such a huge population. Due to dominance of financial industry jobs which are very cyclic, there is always a high pressure of job loss and we have one of highest number of H1 s and many fake H1s as well due to which finding a job is challenging as well.

5. Hi2017

Hi2017 New IL'ite

Pro's - You can get everything Indian, Temples, Food, Groceries, people within short commute.
    Con's -
    1)You waste at least 4 hours a day in commute to work in traffic. Other places it could be 1 hour to go to work and 1 hour to go back home from door to door. But here in NJ, its 2 hours from door to door to go to work and 2 hours to go back home. (On average) That's a lot of lost family time. When you get back home after2 hours of commute, there's hardly energy left to do anything. Poor "us" :)

2)Pressure....its the same everywhere else....maybe a bit more in NJ where there are many Indians in the organization!

3)people are less friendly, or not at all friendly.

4) rent is expensive for an old construction unlike in other places. Every kind of service is expensive too. From health insurance to everything.