Life in Cochin

Discussion in 'Cochin' started by rekha1997, Apr 22, 2010.

1. rekha1997

rekha1997 New IL'ite

Dear Ladies

At first, I should say that Indusladies is one of the best websites i have ever come across and I would really like to congratulate each and every one who has kept it going!!!!

I have been living in Dubai for the past 10 years. I have 3 kids, a boy who is 12 years and twin girls who are 7 years. I am planning to move to Cochin in kakanaad next year and educate my children there.

Before I take this decision I need some input on the expenses below:

Rent for a 2 bedroom apartment
    school fees for Grade 8th and Grade 3rd ( I have heard Vidyodya school is supposed to be a good one and in that vicinity. Any suggestions?)
    Transport
    Domestice helper
    Provisions
    Electricity

I would also like to know how is life back there? Will my kids have a problem in adjusting after so many years in Dubai? I am also totally new to the place after my 23 years in Mumbai and 10 years in Dubai.

I look forward eargerly to some positive and valuable information.

Thanks in advance.
    RM

2. raisin

raisin Bronze IL'ite

Hi there,

Kochi is a wonderful place minus the humidity. BVM/Bhavans is a good school. My cousins study there. Vidyodaya should also be good.

Why kakkanad? I am not sure about the life in Kakkanad. I don't know much about the much except for my trips to kakkanad during school. Whatever be it, when you look for an apartment make sure that the place is not prone to buglars and thefts (safety issues) and also have 24 hrs water supply. Public transport is good is Cochin. Though it depends on the area you live in. You should get a domestic help without much hiccups.

3. annhall5

annhall5 New IL'ite

Kochi is a very nice place to stay.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2010
  4. Ridha

Ridha Senior IL'ite

hi rekha,
    iam staying near kakkanad for last 2 years.the actual place is vazhakkala where everything easily accessible ,schools,public transport,groceries,fish ,meat etc....
    2 bedroom appt rent vll come betn 7000-8000rs plus monthly maintanance charge depending on the location nd builders.
    getting a maid is not a big issue especially to appt...........but their rates r very high.
    bhavans,vidhyodaya,rajgiri r some of the schools nearby.
    electricity...........not have much power outage when climate is gud.but u can select a n appt with generator backup so it wont b a prob at all.ours have that.even some of the appts have pipeline gas supply so u dont have to worry abt running around to get a connection.
    life is not that bad except for the heavy traffic.there r some malls where ur kids can hang out,if they prefer.most of the fast food joints u have in dubai have outlets here.
    hope this helps.
    regards
    ridha
    regards

5. sindhusn1980

sindhusn1980 New IL'ite

Kochi is definitely a good place. I am from Ekm , Kakkanad to be precise now in dubai... There r many good schools...Bhavans,Rajagiri,vidyodaya....I dont think your kids will have a tough time there.

sindhu

6. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Hi,
    welcome. My brother was in Cochin for 12 years and I used to visit often. I visited in this March also. There won't be much problem there, Cochin is developing faster than other cities. Lots of activities are there for kids, even during the holidays. I am sure you will love living there.

7. rekha1997

rekha1997 New IL'ite

I would like to thank each and everyone for the reply. I will be going in September and looking at my options.

Regards
    Rekha

8. georgeradhika

georgeradhika New IL'ite

Hi Rekha

Just joined and read this thread. We are planning to move to kochi soon and would appreciate any advice.

How have you adjusted to the city?

TC
    Radhika

9. rajmenon22

rajmenon22 New IL'ite

hai...im interested...im a wholesale ditributor of garments and ornaments...
    im male 27 from thrissur...

Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2013
  10. Martinii

Martinii New IL'ite

try skyline apartments.