1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Life in America - things we miss

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by AbiV, Mar 4, 2008.

1. AbiV

AbiV New IL'ite

Though life in america has its plus points, I always miss

- The ease with which you could get medical attention (for every day illness). Here in the pacific northwest, I need to call for an appointment after 3 days of fever and wait for next available slot which could be days away. With medical costs being astronomical, I have to stay within the insurance's network of doctors. when our son fell and broke his teeth, the only children's dentist (our regular dentist wouldn't see him) in our area was not covered by our insurance.

- The affordability of services - whether its vehicle problem, appliance trouble or a difficult stain to remove. Even after all the expenses, the problem is not fixed. As one of our Russian friends said "there are lots of "experts" here - and not many fix-it-all people like back home"

- Our thrifty environment friendly ways. In developed countries everything is disposable- plates, paper towels, appliances . a small party generates so much of trash. I grew up using broken pens as pencil holders and daily calendar as rough note for sums :)

- The innocence of kids. I feel that american children grow up much too early. Everyday I see school kids smoking ; middle school children's language and subjects of discussion makes you forget they are after all children!!

Add your thoughts to this list of things that make you wish you were back home.

2. vpriya

vpriya Senior IL'ite

Medical help is one thing which i really miss here. but kids in india are also just like the kids here, they know a lot of things at young age and there is smoking/drugs etc there too.
    i feel the other way round when it comes to kids. my neices and nephews are very money minded at such a young age which makes me thing is it the way they are brought up or just life there.
    I miss my family, MOM and her cooking and her caring.
    I miss lots of food and vegetables, the fresh taste of some vegetables there.
    It is more easy to do gardening there in india, here we have to buy potting soil which is so expensive.
    Actually ppl here are getting more consious abt environment and plastics, but it is catching up so fast in india, the western lifestyle of disposable everything.

3. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

nice analysis, abi and priya!
    To that I can add some more of ----our festivals, our temples, our food and the taste, crowded streets, the noise...mmm will add later...

sriniketan

4. nakkamanju

nakkamanju New IL'ite

hi ..
    i miss the chat we get .....i know not a very hiegenic food but still when its raining i really miss those hot pakodis ,mirchi bajji etc..

5. vaidehi

vaidehi Silver IL'ite

Hi all,

To name a few... i will start with my Parents, i miss them a lot. though we can call them, and can see them thru Webcam and all . but i do miss my parents presence.

Second would be ,my son who is 3 1/2 yr old cannot go out and play freely on his own in mud or sand .Either coz of the climate or for security reasons.

Third would be food, Me and my Husband are total foodie, we really miss all those Vadapavs,bhajji,dosa,idlli,panipuri.......hmmmm(list never ending)

i do miss all those temples,cultural events and gatherings which takes place in India. Though its full crowded ,but its nice opp to meet diffn people.

Last , but not least i really miss all those malli and jathi flowers, i remember when i was in bangalore ...my husband used to get me flowers daily(Easy and cheapest way for him to please me....but i used to love it).

cheers
    vaidehi

6. akijay

akijay Bronze IL'ite

Hiii friends,

i miss my parents a lot.. neighbours,food,crowded shoppin places..our wadrobe..tats the most important thing,traffice..i miss my house a lot,my mother's food.tv news,mobile messages ..and so on..

7. chinmunni

chinmunni New IL'ite

hi all,

i miss the sour mangoes during summer season and the chutney,mango rice and most imp the ugadi pachadi made out of that.

i also equally miss the fruit mango, the milkshake,mango souffle......hhhhha my mouth is watering!!!

Cm

8. AbiV

AbiV New IL'ite

Mangoes ! yep that seems to be at the top of list for our family every summer. we have tried all sorts of mangoes available here - but nothing like the banganapalli and alphonso at home.

we are looking forward to our r2I as soon the mango season in India will start ! :)