Life in Abha for an Indian, non-muslim vegiterian..

Discussion in 'Indians in Saudi Arabia' started by katbasav, Feb 14, 2012.

1. katbasav

katbasav New IL'ite

Hi to everyone,
    gave an interview last week, for a job in KK University, Abha. Tentatively selected and may get an offer in couple of weeks. I have been offered SR. 14600 per month and SR25000 HRA per year, with some other allowances. I am married and shifting alone for time being. looking for a double bedroom house/apartment for rent, semi-furnished, and near to university.
    I know about saudi and its lifestyle, but still unaware of the facts about the expenses, like whether HRA is sufficient per year or i will have to pay from my salary. and also regarding the mode of tranport, whether any public transport system available or have to hire pvt taxi, and the expenses of traveling per month.

And also i have read in some of forums that, if need to travel in saudi, beyond 10 miles, i need to have travel permit, other than iqama. is it true? because i am a traveler by hobby and passion, and like to do lot of photography, mainly wildlife and birds... it this allowed or any restrictions on these hobbies also.

really confused

Help is appreciated.

K.B Raj

2. babithasunil

babithasunil New IL'ite

Mr K B Raj

We are from hubli, karnataka. like you we are also non- muslim, vegetarians. we stay in a place called Baysh which is around 150 kms from abha. we are well adjusted here and don't have any problem.

Happy to hear that you got selected for job in Abha. Abha is a famous hill station in Saudi Arabia with cool climate throughout the year. It's a very big city with plenty of shopping malls and supermarkets.getting a apartment for rent in your budget is not at all difficult.you may get furnished apartment also.

Here we don't get bus or autos like India. but you will get taxis, most of the expatriates purchase car for their comfort. It is better to own a car. No travel permit is required. iqama and driving licence is sufficient to travel in entire KSA.

Most of the Indians lead a very simple life. No theaters or any type of entertainment. ladies should wear Abhaya (burqa) while going out. no need of covering the face. Avoid taking photos in public places specially when ladies are moving around. No pure veg hotels. In saudi we can save lot of money from our salary.
    you may get house within 1500 SR . household exps including electricity, phone(with unlimited internet) will be 1000 SR. water is free. only drinking water we have to purchase. petrol is very cheap.

Abha and Khamis Mushayat are twin cities. In Khamis i have seen lot of Indians. You will get very fresh vegetables in abha and Khamis. I have seen many parks in Abha.

At last it's a very nice place. don't miss this opportunity, all the best.

1 person likes this.
  3. katbasav

katbasav New IL'ite

Thanku sooooo much...:)

4. Saisakthi

Saisakthi IL Hall of Fame

COngrats on being selected to the KK university, please extend your experience to us at the Univeristy and the life style so that we get know about the same sitting at the other end of your workspot,

Best wishes, May the almighty take you through your new endevaour!!!

5. krishindian

krishindian New IL'ite

Please share the job opportunities for Software professional in Abha and children scholling and cost of living in Abha.

Thanks,
    Krishna Kumar

6. santoshy

santoshy New IL'ite

Hi,
    KB Raj
    This is Dr. Santosh from mumbai.
    Please share your experience of KK university and living there, as I have received an offer from KKU.
    Please share your views, I will be very happy.

Regards
    Santosh

7. gudsouls

gudsouls New IL'ite

hi all..
    i am a general surgeon attending interview for asir.. how is present scenario due to yemen war?? is it a gud place to shift with family??
    which is the best hospital in asir??