1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Life Depends On The Liver!

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, May 1, 2017.

1. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

Of course! Social drinking, even for women, is a no double-take incident.

To disclose, I am a teetotaler out of anxiety more than principles. You know how my mom is, she thinks I am some degenerate hippy already, if she catches me drinking, she will pack her bags and go on all-India pilgrimage and pray to every rock and idol to fix my brain. I just don’t want to jangle her nerves more than she can take about me. We should do a 'funny parent' (FP) series sometime.

Last edited: May 6, 2017
  2. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@Iravati
    The net is full of articles about why people take to drinking. The legendary flutist T.R.Mahalingam whose concerts I have heard a number of times always produced his best when he came drunk! I even know of some concert agents presenting him a bottle of scotch so as to get the best out of his flute. While we got drunk with his sublime music, he enhanced his creativity with alcohol! He lived up to sixty and did NOT die of Cirrhosis of lever a condition caused by excessive drinking among other reasons but due to brain hemorrhage.

Coming to the lighter side of drinking, my daughter sent me this forward today:

AN IRISHMAN'S FIRST DRINK WITH HIS SON

While reading an article last night about fathers and sons, memories came flooding back to the time when I took my son out for his first pint.

Off we went to our local pub only two blocks from our house. I got him a Guinness. He didn't like it, so I drank it.

Then I got him a Kilkenny's, he didn't like that either, so I drank it.

Finally, I thought he might like some Harp Lager? He didn't. So I drank it.

I thought maybe he'd like whiskey better than beer, so we tried a Jameson's, nope!

In desperation, I had him try that rare Redbreast, Ireland's finest. He wouldn't even smell it. What could I do but drink it!

By the time I realized he just didn't like to drink, I was so damn drunk I could hardly push his pram back home.

Sri

3. Cheeniya

@Iravati
    I am not a male chauvinist and I am a strong protagonist of equal rights. But I am a bit uneasy when it comes to women drinking. If you ask me why, I can't explain it. I am happy to hear that you are a teetotaler.
    Sri

4. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

Oooh oooo! You should not have done this Cheeniya. No, no! you cannot deflect this thread into a more fun zone.

You may not know but I have a thing for Irish men. Those loud, hard-drinking, playful and salmon-pink blushed men.

Back in the day, when the topography of the land was still confounding, there was this lad at work who was a riot. I inquired slyly, what is about him that makes him so explosive and endearing. “Oh, he is Irish”, was the unanimous response.

I don’t know if it is the stereotyped tipple or the potato love, but —uff! — that Irish brogue is to die for. You should not have brought up Irish in this thread. Now I will go all schmaltzy and Finn MacCool intoxicated. Perhaps the "Irish" fancy was deeper than I realised. Growing up, I was a huge fan of Pierce Brosnan before David Duchovny swayed me away.

Last edited: May 7, 2017
  5. Cheeniya

@Iravati
    Tell me, have we ever stayed on course when you decide to respond to any rambling of mine? No one else has helped me so much to stay on course of my rambling, if rambling has a fixed course that is!
    Sri

6. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

So, are we onto Irish cart now?

Cheeniya, I am enamoured of Irish. They are jolly and fun. My earliest stint in my career was with playful blokes. I used to miss work on weekends. By today's standards or even then standards, they are roughish at work. They used to evaluate the hem line of my skirt and advise me on grooming. They used to whip up such pranks at work that used to leave me in splits. Mind you, back then I was that slightly diffident and slightly conservative Indian lass.

Let's say it was one rambunctious and waggish rugby team I worked with. Not one email would be of any serious tone. We used to outsource a lot of work to companies in India. The only befuddling emails at work would be from the project managers in Indian companies who will write in a formal tone that discombobulates my Hebrides gang.

Ira, why does everyone in India write in a notary diction like they are composing the legal constitution of a nation. I shrug my shoulders withholding the fact that we are trained to play-act "leave letters" at school. Dear Sir .....(mouthful of formal sounding jargon ) Thanks and Regards and Kind Hearts (x)

I did mention somewhere that there was lot of un-learning in terms of diction and mannerism when I landed in this country which can be attributed to this league of mischievous gentlemen. Oh! That was such a lively group. And of course there are Irish and Gaelic throbs who will make even our hatchet-wielding Temperance activist Carrie Nation swoon.

P.S: Believe me when I say my conversations at work are in the same tempo, temper and humour that I share here with you. Not one 'serious/formal' email ever goes out from my inbox. Further, everyone is like me at work, wacky and silly. It is the urbane project managers from India who scare the hell out of us with their techno-rich flamboyant notes.

7. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

I think I mentioned this somewhere that the initial years are troubling for an immigrant to culturally assimilate at work. I am someone who grew up watching Chitrahaar and Shaktimaan. I had peers who watched Mecha and Eurovision. It takes time to skewer that gap. Also, one advantage of working in international teams is that you are exposed to Romanian fables to Turkish comics to Walter Benjamin’s Denkbilds all in fun and chatty emails. I have learned so much just from oblique and fun emails at work. It is a different matter that my porous brain cannot retain everything I hear or read.

8. Cheeniya

@Iravati

Irish as you say are such fun. They are like our Sardarjis of India. They love the jokes on them and enjoy them as much as we do. Irish and Sardarji jokes are very popular in my club. They never fail to generate a laugh like for instance the following:
    An Irish priest is driving down to New York and gets stopped for speeding in Connecticut. The state trooper smells alcohol on the priest's breath and then sees an empty wine bottle on the floor of the car. He says, "Sir, have you been drinking?" "Just water," says the priest. The trooper says, "Then why do I smell wine?" The priest looks at the bottle and says, "Good Lord! He's done it again!"

I have told you earlier about my Masonic Membership. Besides Indian, we have English , Scottish and Irish Constitutions of Masonry in India and I am a member of all the three. Of all the three, Irish Masonic ceremony is so colourful and meaningful. Here I came to realise how serious Irish can get in serious matters!

We make fun of the Irish way of talking English but you must hear Rex Harrison lamenting about the murder of English language in different parts of England in My Fair Lady!

9. Cheeniya

@Iravati
    You may not know this that brain gets more and more porous as we grow older. If I need to compare my porous brain to anything, it can be only to the bucket with a whole! I am sure that you have heard that celebrated dialogue!
    I often used to declare proudly that the Madrasis spoke the best English until I had to work in North India. There every time I tried to convey something in English, they would ask me to speak in proper English!
    Sri

10. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

You nailed it!

Haha! That is a good one. Smart and witty! I’ve have never heard that one.

Dave Allen is the poster boy for Irish sacrilegious comedy. He is the only one I know who could make a whiskey slur while holding ginger ale. Check out here.