1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Life can be Sweet and Sour

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Kamalji, Jun 8, 2011.

1. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Life can be Sweet and Sour

( An old repost of a blog posted here in 2007, for my new readers)

Like Subbu’s story,life can be tough.I used to be a garment exporter from 80 to 85, then the business stopped due to certain reasons.I did well then.Then I started a retail showrrom for the next 8 years,and lost all that I had made,barring the home.Business was bad and I was hand to mouth.

I used to go personally to the vegetable and fruit market and bargain for 50 paise a kg on items.In the fish market I would buy the cheapest fish,and not buy the one of my choice because of shortage of money.Wife used to phone for 15 kg postman oil,and I would keep putting it off,as I had no money,giving some or the other excuse.Sometimes buy her the Gujerat Groundoil ,brands like Maruti Oil,cheaper than postman,but not to her taste.

My Car tyres were flat,but could not afford the 600 tyre tube those days.Used to get my tyre retreaded,and buy second hand tube.Sweaters had become tight,and I would say, I will buy a new one next year.And I used to wonder, I have two daughters to marry,Dear Lord,do yuou want me to ask my parents to give me money for their marriage?Should I sell my bunglow and go shift in the interiors,and use the difference?Should I sell my Car and buy a Luna,which gives good average,and park it in the side lanes,so no one in the showroom area will come to know ?I started to search for cheaper version of Liquor.I used to drink Aristocrate whiskey which was a princly 90 bucks those days, and I came down to a brand called “ Sunny” which was available for 50/-From air Travell I came down to Train Travell,not even Ac,but the 3rd ordinary class.

But Sunny was horrible,made my throat burn,but carried on.Wills was 5 bucks a pack then in the mid eighties.I shifted to beedis when I was alone,and smoke ciggies when someone was around.

But I still had no complaints.Life must go on.I only used to pray to the almighty, that please keep my izzat intact,I don’t know the way, you have to show me the way,Boss.I felt a lot of change in the people around me.Wedding invitations disappeared slowly.There were some people common to me and my friends,and we used to be invited to marriages together.Sometimes friends would phone me, what time do we leave , and I would have to tell them,I have not been invited.It hurt,as the same person had invited me previously along with my friends,and now just because I am not doing well,They don’t invite me.That hurt,surely it did.But the smile never left my face.I knew my turn would come one day,sooner or later,as God my pal will not let me down.My ,parents and brothers were all very supportive , and told me and wife,don’t worry about yr daughters, they are ours,and don’t worry about the marriage expenses, we are there, u shell out nothing.My heart and courage swelled.

That was very reassuring,but I would lie awake many a nights,on the verge of tears,but the eyes would not oblige,just thinking about the future.Soon the whiskey would take effect,and off I went.

In 90 my cousin sister got married,and in 91 my two younger brothers got married.I did not give them a penny as I did not have any.I am still ashamed of that,but circumstances were such,what could I do.My dad, he quietly gave 20,000 to my wife instead,saying u guys have spent so much to come from jaipur to Mumbai,please keep this,and don’t tell Kamal about it.When we reached Jaipur, my wife handed over the money to me with the story.I had tears in my eyes,firstly bcs I had been reduced to this state,and touched for my Dad’s concern for us.And Mom,from her savings used to keep making ornaments for my wife.

My wife, I never bought her a saree from my own money for many many years,nor a [piece of ornament,but she is one in a million.She never ever grumbled and made do with whatever she had.I promised myself that the day I can,I will lay the world at her feet.

Well the tide turned,and turned dramtically.And this had many hands,but none was mine.One was my Dad,another a family Saint,who never took a penny for his blessings,and a few others.Soon I was exporting and traveling all over the world.I sold off the showroom,and the next 10 years were bliss.

Exports had become Tax free, the Govterment incentives fantastic, the Bank interest rates fantastic,and what I earned I paid no taxes,and saved in good RBI Bonds,Fixed Deposits of Banks,etc.Today I am comfortable thanks to the lord.The invitations to marriages have started to come in.And I do know who Is true and who is false,who like me for what I am, who like me for my money or status.

I have no regret in life.Those days too are very important to me.They showed me the value of money,and what happens when you run short of it.Maybe that is why I am cautious on the side of being called a miser,or stingy,but never mind.I never stop my wife and children from having what they want,But my wants and needs are very few.I am happy with what I have,and don’t desire anything in life.I have all the basics that I need.

And now Indus and I lites have entered my life,and what more could I want.I have a few very good friends here,some ive met and some ive spoken to,some I will meet someday.

I just say to you all one thing.dont despair.Have faith in the Maker,call him by any name,or any religion,just fall at his feet,and all will be all right.He is the father,and a father will always look after his children.He wants us to suffer like a catapillar,to struggle to come out of our coccons to be a pretty butterfly.So don’t ever despair.

Sorry to have bored u with such a long blog,but Subbu’s blog took me down memory lane.Sleeping already ?ok ok I will not post more,God promise.Take care guys and gals.

KAMAL MAHTANI

2. mimur9

mimur9 IL Hall of Fame

its the bad phase in life which though a difficult one bringing traumas & jiff in relationships is a very good teacher of life showing clearly who is a true well wisher and those helping hands. sour/bitterness is needed to realise the pleasure of sweetness. Its said there is a dawn after every dusk, I appreciate the confidence you had and the support from your family members. These are the real cause for your success which paved the way for the blessings of almighty for you to shine thereafter. Its the essence which will energize one even in the worse of worst situation. Seems our nethas & babus have a lot of it.:rotfl

3. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Lovely blog Kamalji. There is nothing sweeter than success earned the hard way. It shows you your own strengths, shows you who are your real friends, shows you the worth of family and gives you faith in the old man above. And as you say, you emerge from the cocoon of miseries as a beautiful butterfly.

Good for you Kamalji. :thumbsup :cheers

4. Soumedh

Soumedh Silver IL'ite

Dear Kamalaji,
    Good morning.....
    Thanks for reposting this again,as I am new joinee here.
    Your experience in life and your thoughts about life is so true,wonderfull and inspiring too.
    These lines are so very true"I just say to you all one thing.dont despair.Have faith in the Maker,call him by any name,or any religion,just fall at his feet,and all will be all right.He is the father,and a father will always look after his children.He wants us to suffer like a catapillar,to struggle to come out of our coccons to be a pretty butterfly.So don’t ever despair.
    Thanks a lot.
    Have a great day ahead!
    Regards

5. BeeAmma

BeeAmma Silver IL'ite

Very touching story Kamalji. Wishing you and your family many decades of health, wealth and happiness.

6. Monakumar

Monakumar Senior IL'ite

Dear Kamalji,

Your article gives me the following perception regarding life

"Life is full of experiences whether good or bad, but passing clouds leaving a lesson to learn. Who is there or not there, always He is with you in some form and giving his hands for survival."

I am grateful to you for sharing your life experiences and motivating to face difficulties with total trust on Him.

7. shashiv

shashiv Gold IL'ite

Dear Kamalji

Your story was so touching almost made my eyes to tears. Your thoughts and experience in life shows your strenghts and who the real friends are.

I just say to you all one thing.dont despair.Have faith in the Maker,call him by any name,or any religion,just fall at his feet,and all will be all right.He is the father,and a father will always look after his children.He wants us to suffer like a catapillar,to struggle to come out of our coccons to be a pretty butterfly.So don’t ever despair.

Your quote on this is something very true... May God always shower all his blessings and love to you and your family.

Shanti

8. ptamil2007

ptamil2007 Gold IL'ite

Thank you Kamalji for reposting your experience in life.

I needed such motivation and a feel good factor about life - and your post came at the right time

9. navs23

navs23 Platinum IL'ite

A very beautiful blog Kamalji :thumbsup and your narration about how you tided over such grave troubles is very inspiring :clap

:hatsoff to you dw for supporting you during the most stressful times, she really sounds like a one in a million woman for being patient and understanding. A wife can make or break a man and yours made you :thumbsup:thumbsup

We have been through it, when dad was cheated by mom's sis husband on a business and they shamelessly ran away with all the money. We were too young to understand the pain, but dad was a hero, for he managed everything, made ends meet and never ever refused anything that we asked for. Mom kept him strong and kept us shielded from the pain and truth. But, it taught us a valuable lesson of simplicity and made us brave any kind of situation. Money and comforts may come and go, but (good) family and friends stay :cheers

10. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Kamalji, that was a very nice article on Life’s ups and downs!
    Once a gentleman put it this way...he was a Hindu but he gave the Bible’s Garden of Eden as an example. He said that the Garden of Eden is the figurative example of our world, our life. The majority of it is good only a smallest fraction is the negative (the one forbidden tree). But only if the majority of good is punctuated with the little bad the human mind will think of God. If everything is good we will not remember God. That’s why God created the negative.
    My husband (sorry I keep quoting my husband, but he has taught me so much, to me his word is veda :)) always says the God will give us only the right amount of problems that we can handle. Never more! Once we think of Him he will give us the strength to overcome that problem too.
    Very nice article Kamalji. Yes life is the best teacher is’nt it? Along the way it is amazing how our perspective of what is important, right, wrong, etc. changes as we meet so many situations.