1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Life Can be Sweet and Sour

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Kamalji, Aug 28, 2007.

1. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Life Can Be Sweet And Sour

Life can be tough.I used to be a garment exporter from 80 to 85, then the business stopped due to certain reasons.I did well then.Then I started a retail showrrom for the next 8 years,and lost all that I had made,barring the home.Business was bad and I was hand to mouth.

I used to go personally to the vegetable and fruit market and bargain for 50 paise a kg on items.In the fish market I would buy the cheapest fish,and not buy the one of my choice because of shortage of money.Wife used to phone for 15 kg postman oil,and I would keep putting it off,as I had no money,giving some or the other excuse.Sometimes buy her the Gujerat Groundoil ,brands like Maruti Oil,cheaper than postman,but not to her taste.

My Car tyres were flat,but could not afford the 600 tyre tube those days.Used to get my tyre retreaded,and buy second hand tube.Sweaters had become tight,and I would say, I will buy a new one next year.And I used to wonder, I have two daughters to marry,Dear Lord,do yuou want me to ask my parents to give me money for their marriage?Should I sell my bunglow and go shift in the interiors,and use the difference?Should I sell my Car and buy a Luna,which gives good average,and park it in the side lanes,so no one in the showroom area will come to know ?I started to search for cheaper version of Liquor.I used to drink Aristocrate whiskey which was a princly 90 bucks those days, and I came down to a brand called “ Sunny” which was available for 50/-From air Travell I came down to Train Travell,not even Ac,but the 3<SUP>rd</SUP> ordinary class.

But Sunny was horrible,made my throat burn,but carried on.Wills was 5 bucks a pack then in the mid eighties.I shifted to beedis when I was alone,and smoke ciggies when someone was around.

But I still had no complaints.Life must go on.I only used to pray to the almighty, that please keep my izzat intact,I don’t know the way, you have to show me the way,Boss.I felt a lot of change in the people around me.Wedding invitations disappeared slowly.There were some people common to me and my friends,and we used to be invited to marriages together.Sometimes friends would phone me, what time do we leave , and I would have to tell them,I have not been invited.It hurt,as the same person had invited me previously along with my friends,and now just because I am not doing well,They don’t invite me.That hurt,surely it did.But the smile never left my face.I knew my turn would come one day,sooner or later,as God my pal will not let me down.My ,parents and brothers were all very supportive , and told me and wife,don’t worry about yr daughters, they are ours,and don’t worry about the marriage expenses, we are there, u shell out nothing.My heart and courage swelled.

That was very reassuring,but I would lie awake many a nights,on the verge of tears,but the eyes would not oblige,just thinking about the future.Soon the whiskey would take effect,and off I went.

In 90 my cousin sister got married,and in 91 my two younger brothers got married.I did not give them a penny as I did not have any.I am still ashamed of that,but circumstances were such,what could I do.My dad, he quietly gave 20,000 to my wife instead,saying u guys have spent so much to come from jaipur to Mumbai,please keep this,and don’t tell Kamal about it.When we reached Jaipur, my wife handed over the money to me with the story.I had tears in my eyes,firstly bcs I had been reduced to this state,and touched for my Dad’s concern for us.And Mom,from her savings used to keep making ornaments for my wife.

My wife, I never bought her a saree from my own money for many many years,nor a [piece of ornament,but she is one in a million.She never ever grumbled and made do with whatever she had.I promised myself that the day I can,I will lay the world at her feet.

Well the tide turned,and turned dramtically.And this had many hands,but none was mine.One was my Dad,another a family Saint,who never took a penny for his blessings,and a few others.Soon I was exporting and traveling all over the world.I sold off the showroom,and the next 10 years were bliss.

Exports had become Tax free, the Govterment incentives fantastic, the Bank interest rates fantastic,and what I earned I paid no taxes,and saved in good RBI Bonds,Fixed Deposits of Banks,etc.Today I am comfortable thanks to the lord.The invitations to marriages have started to come in.And I do know who Is true and who is false,who like me for what I am, who like me for my money or status.

I have no regret in life.Those days too are very important to me.They showed me the value of money,and what happens when you run short of it.Maybe that is why I am cautious on the side of being called a miser,or stingy,but never mind.I never stop my wife and children from having what they want,But my wants and needs are very few.I am happy with what I have,and don’t desire anything in life.I have all the basics that I need.

And now Indus and I lites have entered my life,and what more could I want.I have a few very good friends here,Sri being one of the best persons i have had the privelge to interact with.

I just say to you all one thing.dont despair.Have faith in the Maker,call him by any name,or any religion,just fall at his feet,and all will be all right.He is the father,and a father will always look after his children.He wants us to suffer like a catapillar,to struggle to come out of our coccons to be a pretty butterfly.So don’t ever despair.

Sorry to have bored u with such a long blog,but Subbu’s blog took me down memory lane.Sleeping already ?ok ok I will not post more,God promise.Take care guys and gals.

KAMAL MAHTANI

Last edited: Aug 28, 2007

2. Jananikrithsan

Jananikrithsan Gold IL'ite

To taste sweet and sour is better than tasting only sweet. Experiences makes a person realise the worth of all that he / she is blessed with in life.Loved reading your write up, Kamalji. Kudos to your family for having stood by you when you needed them the most.

3. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

DEAR KAMALJI,
    NO LINKS OF OTHER SITE ALLOWED KINDLY FOLLOW THAT PLEASE, NAHI THO DANDE PADENGI HAMEY BHI..SUNKAN

4. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Sunkan,

Sorry for that goof up.I changed it immediately.It wont happen again.Thanks and regards.kamal

Jananiji,

Thank u so much for yr appreciation.Yes my wife is a gem,and she has had to adjust a lot, without ever cribbing.God bless her.

Regards.kamal

5. Nivedi

Nivedi New IL'ite

Kamalji - From all the naughtiness of life....to a serious one. Well written and thought provoking! Faith can move mountains and can indeed create wonders in our life.

6. malspie

malspie Platinum IL'ite

It was very touching.......................

7. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Kamalji

The post is nice. and some of us could take few leaves out of your experiences.

8. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Nivediji,

Yes how true.Thanks and regards.kamal

9. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Malspie,

Shantiji,

thank u for yr kind comments.Regards.kamal