1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Life- A Biology Or Geography Or History ?

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by HariLakhera, Nov 21, 2017.

1. HariLakhera

HariLakhera Platinum IL'ite

LIFE- A BIOLOGY OR GEOGRAPHY OR HISTORY ???

When ever I read or listen to this song penned by Nida Fazli, I am reminded of those childhood days when day dreaming was the norm- when I grow up, I will become this or that, live here or there, do this or that, not really knowing what lies in store for me. On sober times, it was all getting educated, finding a good job, starting a family, fulfilling the obligations and finally retire and fade away. On fantasy waves, becoming a great writer, an actor or just a vagabond with a backpack. But then comes a time when we have to reflect and look back and agree what the poet has to say:

अपनी मर्ज़ी से कहाँ के हैं किधर के हम हैं,
    रुख़ हवाओं का, जिधर का है, उधर के हम हैं।
    (We have no choice where from we came and where shall we go,
    Depending on the direction of the wind, we will go where it takes us)

वक्त के साथ है मिट्टी का सफ़र सदियों से,
    किसको मालूम, कहाँ के हैं, किधर के हम हैं।
    (Time and dust has the companionship for centuries,
    Who knows from where we came, where shall we go)

Forget about dreams, do we really get to travel the path of our choice? Barring a few, none. One Mr. Kamath wanted to become a classical singer. He ended up in the despatch department of a manufacturing unit always surrounded by the noise created by the hammers inserting the iron nails into the wooden boxes. The sound was musical though not with a set pattern. He however kept his hopes alive by attending the classical music concerts and wiring critiques. Not bad.
    Another Mr. Gopal wanted to become a painter. He ended up as a steward in a five star hotel, artistically arranging the forks and knives in his spare time.
    Mr. Shamim, wanted to travel places and finally settle in the land of opportunities called USA but landed up finding a job in a Mica mining unit in Jhumritlaya, Bihar and finally settled there only to be buried there six feet under.

Hundreds and hundreds of job seekers travel to different places and countries for making it big, earn good money and finally settle to their place and land of birth. Most end up settling there only and buried or cremated in a foreign land. Their generations do not even know or care where they originated from.

I am not sure whether life is a biology or geography or history. Whether it belongs to the parentage or to the place of birth or to the history before or thereafter. It's a play, we the actors assigned limited roles. On the stage, we might meet some actor, equally bewildered but ready to mingle and play his or her part. In the end, this too will end.

लायी हयात आये, कजा ले चली चले,
    अपनी ख़ुशी से आये, न अपनी ख़ुशी गये।

(Brought by life, death will take away,
    Either way, there was no choice)
    Sheikh Muhammad Ibrahim 'Zauk'

Enjoy the day. Tomorrow may not be ours. In the end, it is neither a biology, nor a geography nor a history. It is just a play- curtains up, curtains down.

2. GeetaKashyap

GeetaKashyap IL Hall of Fame

@HariLakhera

Very interesting philosophy, Liked this post.

3. HariLakhera

HariLakhera Platinum IL'ite

Geetaji,
    Thanks for your motivation.