1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Life – A Single Attempt…

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Malar2301, Sep 13, 2011.

1. Malar2301

Malar2301 Gold IL'ite

[JUSTIFY]
    “Hey Thilaka…All the best…today Mathematics only rite??”

Heard the conversation between two friends when I was waiting for my company bus. The name and the subject shaked me. I was about to turn and look the girl…the girl…Thilaka. Unfortunately, no one was there then. Meantime, my company bus came and I boarded the bus with a heavy heart. Took my usual seat and the thought of the name Thilaka made me close my eyes. I knew myself that I’m traversing behind 10 years…

It was January 5th of 1998, children were very enthu in going to school after their half early holidays. Deepa was busy packing her school bag by then she heard the calling bell.

“Ma…I think Thilaka has come! Is my lunch ready???” as she was shouting, ran to the door to unlock it.

Thilaka looked very tensed which was unusal. She used to be over cheering and smiling always. My heart told something was wrong with her. We parted to school bidding bye to my mother.

We used to go by our bicycles. And that day Thilaka was not in a mood to ride her cycle so she left her cycle in my home and we both went in my cycle as doubles.

In the school, everyone were really happy and so cheering as they met their friends after a short vacation. Again Thilaka was not normal. Something was troubling her…I know.

It was the first hour of the day – Mathematics. All the cheer in the children vanished and tension occupied as the Mathematics teacher entered the class room with the corrected exam papers.

We were sitting in the fourth row. Thilaka called me…

“Deepa…I’m feeling very nervious…see my hands are shivering…and…and…I think I’m gonna faint…”

“Teacher is going to distribute paper rite…so only you are feeling that way…you will become alright…”

Saying so I turned to face the teacher without noticing the tears falling from her eyes. In couple of minutes, she pulled my hand and before I turned to her side. She got fainted and was lying on the table.

I shouted “Ma..ammmmm…Thilaka…fainted…”
    We sprankled water on her face. She was struggling to tell us something…but words were broken.

We took her to the office room, where we had first aid kit. We gave her glucose water…but nothing worked out. She was half unconscious. She told us something…

“I …tttttook…. tablets…attempted suicideeee”

Everyone was shocked to hear what she said.

“Pleaseeeeeeeeee take me to the hospital…save meee…plsssssssss”

Management forced her to tell the reason.

All she finally spoke was “Maths examm….ppppppppppaper….failllllll…” that’s it.

All her friends including myself begged the school management to take her to the hospital. But the school management was very strong to get her signed in a letter stating that the school was not responsible for her action.

She was not in a position to sign. But they made her scribble her signature in a plain paper and wrote what ever they wanted. She was almost totally unconscious.

Finally we all carried her to the auto and took her to the hospital. We were asked to wait outside and the doctors took her inside the room to examine her.

Within minutes, doctors came to us stating that “she is NO MORE. If you would have brought her 10 mins back atleast we could have done something…I’m sorry”

I wiped my tears and got down the bus and entered into the office again with a heavy heart.

Dear Friends,

What I have stated here is not a story. It happened in real time when I was doing my 10th standard. It happened on the same mentioned date that I lost one of my good friend. She was weak in Mathematics, except for that she is a very good human being.

Two things I wanted to mention here

1. Life – We cannot have multiple attempts. There may be exceptions. But mostly only one attempt. Once over…Over for ever. So for who ever think suicide as an option, please re-think. At any point in time, suicide is not a correct option.
    2. School management could have taken her as soon as we heard the information. We could have saved her life. Though she did attempt, she asked at last to save her. Unfortunately she is no more.

You know what mark she got in Mathematics paper – 54. She passed the examination…but failed in life.
    [/JUSTIFY]

2. tuffyshri

tuffyshri Gold IL'ite

3. sreemanavaneeth

sreemanavaneeth Gold IL'ite

Dear Malar,

After a long time you have blogged. I do not know how to express my happiness.An excellent blog about LIFE. Life is very precious once over nothing can be done.
    She was very coward in her studies but passed in her death. If it would have on the other way, i.e. thilaka would have gone to KOMA stage or any disability her entire life would have been spoiled and her parents would have become mad. Students always think and Thank their life whatever they got. FAILURE will always leads to the path of SUCCESS. Simple concept they have to follow. Failure and Success to be handled carefully always. Failure will make you always to achieve your goal and Success you would like to retain always.

4. SARASVADIVU

SARASVADIVU Silver IL'ite

"Children are special editions of God Himself..Treat them with a tenderness..akin to a Rose bud."

[​IMG]

5. SARASVADIVU

SARASVADIVU Silver IL'ite

Dearest Malar,
    That was very poignant a story- My heart sank when I discovered that it was not jus a story, but that, Thilaka had lived among you'll flesh & blood.

I have come across many 'Thilakas' in our school; but the only difference is our management is not as the one you've put in here!!
    We have professional counselling for the kids.plus there is the 'Mentor system', where each mentor is assigned with 6 kids -mentees-. I've been a mentor for class XI kids and strongly can empathize with them- theirs is a heavy burden..it's their time of the adolescence..topping it..the Academics..other pressures as the seniors of the school, they'll be pulled up for everything{ XII will be spared due to the Boards}!

Going by my experience..I'm sure, Thilaka would have gone to become something special and of great use to the society, had she lived! May God bestow Her with that sense of much-needed solace at least when she's there above!!!

And Malar dear, I'm taking this story to my children. My tokens of gratitude to you for giving them such a post, with a great message!!!!
    Saras..

6. shashiv

shashiv Gold IL'ite

Dear malar,

Really felt sad after reading your blog... as stated by you its not a story but happened in real life.... Life is so precious as One has no right to end it themselves... Of ending it, Thilaka should have been more courage to face LIFE... In a way, the school management should have shown more responsibility in saving her...

Shanti

7. AkilaMani

AkilaMani Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Malar,

I feel sad for thilaka and for you... it must have been really difficult dealing with the loss of a close friend, and of course the anger towards to management. Life is so precious to be lost over trivial things that seem so great at that moment. Maths could have been won over, the management could have had some troubles, but life of a child was too high a price to save their name. Shame on them.

Am truely sorry for your loss malar.

Akila

8. ILoveTulips

ILoveTulips IL Hall of Fame

Dear malar.. very sad indeed.. When i read that its true story i felt sorry for two kids. One is thilaka other one is our dear malar.. thilaka found her way in a minute but malar still carrying her for years.

There are lots of kids poor in studies. its also becausd of the pressure she shud have taken this extreme step. i feel sorry for her family.

Very heart burdenjng blog with heavy message. very apt title. life single attempt. very true dear...

Please start writing more often. your blogs are always good. i love reading them . they are mixture of lots of love and affection...

p.s. please also write comedy pieces...

Ilt

9. Malar2301

Malar2301 Gold IL'ite

Of Course...Thanks Tuffyshri for dropping in here.

10. Malar2301

Malar2301 Gold IL'ite

Yes Saras...they are special editions of God himself...very true. Thanks for the words.