1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Lice and America!

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by sunitha, Jan 28, 2010.

1. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

The idea was not to divert this thread into an argument,please.

Mrs.V,having been brought up in America,your take will definitely be different here,I appreciate it.
    But I disagree with both you and Srvaug,Head lice has nothing to do with poor hygience and social status.

2. srvaug

srvaug Senior IL'ite

I did NOT say social status at all. I said hygiene.
    No matter where the person is brought up, some views do matter.
    Even in India , the kids who have head lice, who frequently scratch their head because of it are kept at a distance by other kids. I didnot even study in some fancy shmancy school but I do remember that incidences in my school.

3. Manaswini08

Manaswini08 Bronze IL'ite

I have to agree with the mothers who think Lice is disgusting. Why would you want such parasites on your body. In India (or anywhere else) if you have tape worm in your body you get dewormed, correct? So, why would you think anything less of having such parasites outside of your body??

Granted even the cleanest children can get lice but it should be taken care of right away. I remember being a kid in school and having a friend be pulled from class by the school nurse because she was constantly scratching her head. A note went home to all parents and the poor girl was sent home early to start her treatment.

And I certainly do not agree with some of the statements that say that almost every kid in India has lice. If any kid in my family, in India, was found scratching their head their parents would take measures to get rid of the intruder. Certain families do consider having lice as disgusting and will not permit it in their home.

As for the Mercury scare, I would not want the school to react any other way. Exposure to sufficiently high levels of mercury can cause permanent damage to the nervous system, brain and kidneys. Not sure how you feel, but I would not want my children exposed to even a tiny bit if those are the risks.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2010
  4. MrsV

MrsV Bronze IL'ite

Social status was not mentioned once.

So given that you were raised in India, it is ok for your child to carry lice and come to school and pass it on a child whose mother was raised in the US? I don't understand. How could you justify this?

And to the person who said, this is a big hype - it's a health concern, and I'm sorry that you don't see it as such. MRSA was a big hype in the US, as well - but it got contained and it did not spread like it would have the health department was not so vigilant. With MRSA, bacteria occurs inside the body, so I guess it must much more devstating that the parastic skin infection that lice is. And please don't counter with a comment saying, no one died.

Another example, in the US, kids will not be admitted into schools or day care if they are not completely immunized, why, so that younger kids will have much less chance of being afflicated with something, so this is a similar justification.

5. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

Social status was a general comment,not intended at any one in particular.When I read about head lice,I got to know about it and mentioned it only generally, not aimed at anyone.

Well,my view is ,yes, lice is disgusting but no one needs to be treated like an outcast because of this problem.In India,it is common and one is not looked down because of it.I too had parents who would do anything to get rid of it but unfortunately,those days it was not easy to control.To me this is not a BIG issue,thats all.If my kid gets it,I will treat it,no doubt,but I will not get hyper because of it.

The mercury incident was also a small incident,the amount being very minute,as mentioned earlier.The school itself did not make an issue of it like it is made here.Again,why I mentioned it is because of the number of people who were involved in dealing with such a small incident which could have been dealt with by a handful of people.That is why I said it was a waste of resources.In school,we as kids have played with mercury because it was something interesting to us then.I cannot even imagine such a scenario here.:hide:

My intention is not to make this thread into an argumentative one,just a discussion!

6. paanzaa

paanzaa Gold IL'ite

Rinsing hair with neem oil would take the pests away..including parents because of the smell.... Lice can create nusiance..

7. paanzaa

paanzaa Gold IL'ite

Madam:
    I have been to a lot of schools both in US and India. Children are children.
    But why so much hype about USA?

8. bhuvnidhi

bhuvnidhi IL Hall of Fame

Ha..ha..haa..Sunitha ,That was hilarious.:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl

That is what happens in US of A.

But even I do not like these lice and having dirty hair.Everyday I check whether my kid has got any of those nits.Geez.I cannot stand those creatures.I know we all grew up seeing lice and nits during our school days but I do not like those parasites.

But I feel closing down school due to lice and nits sounds so foolish to me.

I SINCERELY HOPE THEY DO NOT BLAME ON INDIANS AS USUAL(as somebody here said their kids got from Indian kids )FOR THESE PARASITES.:bonk:drowning:rotfl.

Panzaa , Some people are always overwhelmed by US of A.If you do a PEST CONTROL using neem oil on your head, then your American neighbour(who knows even your Indian counterpart) will complain of STINK.:spin

9. paanzaa

paanzaa Gold IL'ite

I have a doubt...They might patent it claiming to be some "Native Indian" method..The plight of the native Indians- awful.