1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Lice and America!

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by sunitha, Jan 28, 2010.

1. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

A few days back I saw a news on TV.It said something about increasing Lice population in the U.S. and how more and more students are staying away from schools due to this problem!!

Well,pls don't laugh but in our country ,we almost live with lice and nits and no one stays away from school because of this.I too had lice till I joined work.I am not proud to say it but in those days any amount of Mediker was of no use and it never got controlled.Once I joined work,the stress was too much even for the lice,they all committed suicide!!:rotfl

Here in the U.S,if a student has lice ,he/she has to stay away from school,treat the problem and get back to school only after it has been controlled.There are even special salons that treat only this.In the news,they said a salon called 'Hair Fairies' is having booming business these days ,it seems! A person from the salon even mentioned the number of 'patients' treated,the number of lice and nits killed-just think,they keep a tab on that too!:biglaugh

Sometimes,I think here they make a big issue of the silliest things-lice,the dresses worn by stars to award events and a small drop of mercury.Well,wondering what that is,here goes that story.

Yesterday,in front of my son's school,there were atleast 5-6 Hazmat vehicles parked.Actually ,there is a doctor's office there and the vehicles were parked there.A blood pressure gauge had fallen by mistake and broken and some amount of mercury had spilt on the floor.All these vehicles were called in to clear this minute amount of mercury:hide:What a waste of resources:drowning

Last edited: Jan 29, 2010

2. Ranchu

Ranchu Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

:rotflI know.. I heard about this too .

In one of the Late Night shows with Conan O'Brian, Courtney Cox (Monica from Friends series) had come and she was mentioning this.
    It seems, In LA the private schools were big-shots / celebrity kids study, this is a major gossip thing . She was mentioning this and her daughter got it once and she had to disguise themselves to visit the "Hair fairies" salon to get the treatment.

3. srvaug

srvaug Senior IL'ite

I think that is a nice rule that students who have lice should not come to school. Its disgusting , really think some blood sucking critters, crawling on you ewwww:crazy
    My kid got it couple of times (from an Indian family :hide: friends kids). We were fine when we went to their house over night and she didnot even told me that her kids have lice. I never could have known it was her family until we made another trip to their home a few weeks later and her daughter's hair is cut short like a boy. (red flag 1) I asked her why she cut her daughter's hair, she said when her brother was getting his hair cut the sis cut all her hair by accident (red flag 2). Then her husband came into room and blurred out that she had lice, the school sent a warning(red flag 3)
    It was so much pain, especially for working parents kwim. I had to take off one day and treat her hair with RID. :bonk:rant

4. sharanyadevi

sharanyadevi Gold IL'ite

Hi Sunitha, Ranchu, Sravug,
    I couldn control my laugh reading your post...:biglaugh:biglaugh
    I never knew this that its a big issue in America..
    I was thinking what will happen, if they warn children in india. hardly only 2, 3 students will be there in the class rooms...:rotfl:rotfl:biglaugh

5. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

Ranchu,yes I saw that too,they showed a bit of that along with this news.What a sad state,to remove lice,you have to disguise yourself !

Svraug,I agree it is ok to stay away from school and thereby prevent any more students from getting infected,but should it be treated like some kind of untouchable disease?C'mon,it is just lice.We have lived with it and none of us(as far as I know) have died because of lice.Infact,I had more luxurious and long hair when I had all that lice.Now the lice is gone and the hair is gone too!:rotflSee,you are also talking about your friend like as though she committed some grave mistake by hiding the truth from you.It is only because this lice thing is made into such a big issue here,that she would have decided to hide the truth.Having lice does not mean one is unhygienic,it is just an infection that needs to be treated.

Sharanya,I agree,in Chennai,we can never have such a rule in schools,it will never work.

6. Soldier

Soldier Gold IL'ite

Really very funny news. In such a big leading country, they have no remedy for this? Students scared to go to school. Cant imagine all this.

7. paanzaa

paanzaa Gold IL'ite

Hype...That's is US of A...

Can you believe?
    How many Indian children are friends themselves here and lice is never a problem for parents...parents are better pests than lice.

8. MrsV

MrsV Bronze IL'ite

Actually, I am going to take another stand here.

Lice is just disgusting! They are little blood sucking parasite that live on your scalp and maybe even crawl on the surface of your hair! It's nasty! I remember in school once, when we were kids, someone saw a "roach" crawling on a classmate's head, it was lice! How gross?

And why would you not keep your child at home until the matter clears up, I would not want to exposed to it! You keep a child who has chicken pox or fever at home, so this is the same thing, maybe even worse! Though it is completely untrue, lice is associated with poor hygiene and being unkempt. It is embarssing for a child to go through that. Deal with the issue and home and then send the kid to school.

And I'm glad that I live in a country where the slightest chemical spill or exposure leads to a proper clean up and assessment, rather than just throwing some water on it and calling it day. Especially near a school!

9. srvaug

srvaug Senior IL'ite

Sunitha and others,
    No, its not the proper way at all. Even in India, I had lice once or twice when I was in school that's it. Yes , my mother used to comb mine and my sister's long hair until our scalps are sore. That's how I grew up.
    Lice is associated with improper hygiene.
    There is nothing wrong with having them, but atlease please don't pass it to the other people is what Iam saying. 1) My daughter was itching her scalp day in and day out 2) kids don't properly wash their hands if they are in school, so I imagine they eat with the same hands hence getting sick 3) How inconvienient for a working parent to take time off to treat the lice.
    I did not say we stopped going to our friend's house did I ?? I said I was pissed that she was giving me wrong info.
    Thank you MrsV for your input too.
    Also, please look at the site and its pictures. Do you let your kid to go through this ?
    https://health.google.com/health/ref/Head+lice

10. srvaug

srvaug Senior IL'ite

and Iam glad Iam the pest who does not want the lice on my kids hair.