Libraries in Delhi

Discussion in 'Shopping/Restaurants in Delhi' started by Shabnam88, Mar 4, 2010.

1. Shabnam88

Shabnam88 New IL'ite

Hi all,
    I read about the online libraries available in the Delhi NCR region. It is interesting but I would like to become the member of a good library especially in South Delhi /Connaught Place area.
    Please do tell me details of Libraries in the area.
    Thanks

2. raminderkaur

raminderkaur Bronze IL'ite

Hi Shabnam,
    I can easily recommend the American Centre Library at 24 Kasturba Gandhi Marg, <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:address w:st="on"><st1:Street w:st="on">Connaught Place</st1:Street>, <st1:City w:st="on">New Delhi</st1:City></st1:address> -110001.It is a fully computerized library and you can use the Online Public Access Catalogue (OPAC) terminals to search for your book/journal through out all the 4 American Centre Libraries in <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">India</st1:place></st1:country-region>. The Library offers latest information on American society, economics, politics and government and is a valuable resource centre for all those planning to go to <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">USA</st1:place></st1:country-region> for higher studies/ jobs etc.
    The American Library in <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">New Delhi</st1:place></st1:City> is Wi-Fi enabled and offers free wireless Internet access to its patrons. The Library has 40 connections, which are provided on a first-come-first served basis.
    The Library is open from 11 am to 6 pm Monday to Friday
    For further details contact the Library at Phone No
    : 2331 4251, 2331 6841
    :coffee

3. MadhujaJ

MadhujaJ Senior IL'ite

I agree with Raminder. The American Center Library is a good one. I can also recommend the British Council Library as one of Delhi’s bests. It is located at 17, Kasturba Gandhi Marg, New Delhi – 110001. Their phone number is 011-23711401 and their facsimile is 011-23710717.

The British Council Library remains open from Monday to Saturday from 10a.m to 6pm. The contact person is Mr. Vijay Shankar.

British Council Library boasts of about 24,000 books in addition to about 3,200 children’s books and 900 E-Zone books.

On top of a fine collection of books, this library has educational videos, home videos, newspapers and periodicals from the UK.

4. anandisingh

anandisingh Senior IL'ite

I have always found the Ramakrishna Mission Library quite useful. Many of my friends agree with me on this. This library is located at Paharganj, the address being Ramakrishna Mission, Ramakrishna Ashrama Marg, Panchkuiya Road, Paharganj, New Delhi- 110055. The phone number is 011-23587110 and 011-23583023. The facsimile is 011-23580848.

This library is known to be functioning since the beginning of this esteemed institution. But, the improved and extended new library was founded by Swami Ranganathanandaji in 1956. The new library in the ground floor occupies a vast area of more than 2700 square feet. The huge collection of books spreads over a wide array of subjects.

5. amritasharma

amritasharma Senior IL'ite

The Ramakrishna Mission library is indeed a blessing to all voracious readers who want to quench their insatiable thirst for reading and gaining knowledge. This library boasts of a vast collection of books on subjects like Theology, Philosophy, Humanities, Linguistics, Spirituality, Literature, Science and Technology etc. The library also has a huge collection of multi-lingual journals and books. It has an impressive collection of books in Russian and Sanskrit. It has a stock of 15 dailies and 165 periodicals in various languages.

The library is used by more than 250 members daily. The total number of books here are more than 40,000.

6. BandanaSen

BandanaSen Bronze IL'ite

Dear Shanam
    There are a couple of libraries in and around Chittaranjan Park in South Delhi. I am a member of the D.C.Memorial Library and find the collection useful . Here are the details:
    Deshbandhu Chittaranjan Memorial Library
    Chittaranjan Bhawan,(near Market no 1) C.R.Park, New Delhi -110019. The library has an excellent collection of children books, english literature as well as bengali literature. Books in english include every thing from literature ( including Indian authors) to politics to films and Indian history. The yearly membership fee is just Rs 120/- only. The Children sections has a good collection but it could do with some good books and comics etc.
    In case you would like to donate books please contact the Library.
    The Library timings are as follows : Tue, Thurs, Fri 7 to 8.30 pm. On Sundays the Library is open from 10 to 11.30 am.

7. JayaRawat

JayaRawat Senior IL'ite

The following libraries are good useful ones:

Nehru Memorial Library
    Teen Murti Bhavan, Teen Murti Marg, New Delhi

National Science Library
    INSDOC, 14, Satsang Vihar Marg,
    Institutional Road, Mehrauli Road, New Delhi

The libraries at the following places are also worth a mention:

Shastri Indo-Canadian Institute
    5, Bhai Vir Singh Marg, Opposite Saint Columba's School, New Delhi
    Timinig: 9am to 5pm
    Closed on: Saturday & Sunday

Russian Centre
    24, Ferozeshah Road, New Delhi
    Timinig: 10:00 am to 6:00 pm
    Closed on: 2nd & 4th Saturday and on Sunday.

National Archives
    Opposite the Indira Gandhi National Centre for the Arts,
    Inter-section of Janpath and Rajpath, Delhi India
    Tel: 91-11-23384797
    Fax No: 91-11-23384127

8. amritasharma

amritasharma Senior IL'ite

The Nehru Memorial Museum and Library, about which Jaya has told, is a very special repository of personal memorabilia of Late Shri Jawaharlal Nehru, the first Prime Minister of India.

Apart from a number of personal documents and treasures of the Nehru family, the library is also a treasure trove of books, periodicals, photographs and various other relevant materials related to the life of Nehru. These trace the different phases of the Indian National Movement. Apart from these historically relevant documents, the library also boasts of published and unpublished materials about the myriad progressive policies and ideas of Pandit Nehru, who was a visionary in every sense of the term.
    Computer Typing

9. JoyshreeGupta

JoyshreeGupta Senior IL'ite

Hi Jaya
    Yes, I once visited the National Science Library when I needed to consult some scientific journal. I found the staff quite helpful.
    The National Science Library is part of the Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR). It is spread over 4 floors. The National Science Library is the designated depository Library for scientific journals published all over <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on"><st1:country-region w:st="on">India</st1:country-region></st1:place>. You will therefore be able to find all the different science journals published in <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">India</st1:place></st1:country-region> as well as all the journals published by NISCAIR, CSIR. There is a separate floor for Indian and Foreign scientific journals. The Library has a good collection of scientific journals in the Russian language.
    Scholars from different scientific institutions are able to access soft copies of back and present issues of Indian journals.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2010
  10. MadhujaJ

MadhujaJ Senior IL'ite

The Russian Centre of Science and Culture, New Delhi, which Jaya has mentioned, boasts of a rich library. The library has about 26 thousand books. Various books, magazines and newspapers here have updated information about Russia. The video library is also very helpful as it has fiction and documentary films on VHS and DVD.

English Magazines like the “Moscow News” and the “Science in Russia” are available here. Russian magazines like the “Geo”, the “Argumenty and facty”, the “Profile”, the “Asia and Africa segodnya”, the “Itogi”, the “Ballet”, the “Karavan istoriy”, the “Krestyanka”, the “Russkaya slovesnost”, the “Nauka I Zhizn”, etc are also available.