1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

lettuce salad

Discussion in 'Healthy Living' started by ssubhasr, Dec 19, 2008.

1. ssubhasr

ssubhasr Silver IL'ite

Hi

We went to an Italian restaurant last week and had lettuse salad along with some sause. (It tastes like tamarind) From that day I liked that very much. But I dont know the name of the sause. Does anyone know what type of sause we can use along with lettuse which is also forms a good diet ?

2. Ansuya

Ansuya Platinum IL'ite

Ssubhasr

I've been wracking my brains trying to figure out what the dressing was on your salad - I love food too much to pass up on a challenge like this!

My best guess, since it was an Italian restaurant, and you seem to be describing a dark, sweet-sour dressing, is that one of the main components must have been balsamic vinegar.

You can look for bottled dressings in the grocery store that contain balsamic vinegar. As for the "good diet" part, salad dressings aren't known to be good for you (especially the rich, creamy bottled preparations and the ones they serve in chain restaurants), but a simple balsamic vinaigrette isn't bad for health at all.

The recipe for this varies slightly depending on the source, but a balsamic vinaigrette usually contains balsamic vinegar, garlic, olive oil, honey, mustard, salt and pepper, or some combination of those ingredients. You could make it at home if you have the ingredients, but it is much easier to just buy a ready-mixed bottle (look for a healthier brand, like Newman's Own).

Good luck with the salad dressing!

Ansuya

3. Cutepavi

Cutepavi Silver IL'ite

Any italian salad dressing has the tamarind taste.. usually thats what they serve in italian restaurants... you would get that in any grocery store in the ranch section... actually buttermilk ranch also goes great with lettuce salad.. :thumbsup

4. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear Subha,
    I make a dressing with
    finely chopped garlic, chilli flakes, (good amount of!) lime juice, chopped coriander (you can use basil), olive oil, salt & pepper.
    For the salad I use boiled peas, chopped tomatoes, choppd paneer (or tofu) + lettuce.
    I plan to post it in my forum.
    Perhaps instead of lime juice, tamarind paste can be substituted. But this has a "tangy enough" taste.
    tangy lettuce salad.jpg
    Love,
    Chithra.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2008