1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Lettuce Leaves - Usage and Storage tips please

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by msm, Feb 5, 2014.

1. msm

msm Gold IL'ite

Friends - please tell me the following.

How do you store lettuce leaves - wash it, make small pieces and store in a container? or keep it in the store packaging itself and wash only the quantity you need before you use it and leave the rest in store package or transfer to a container?

How long we can store Lettuce leaves?

Is there any taste difference between the iceberg and romaine lettuce?

Which lettuce is good and tasty to eat raw? Hope there is no vast difference in the nutrients between these two varieties?

Too many qtns - so far my experience with lettuce is not that great, mostly they get spoilt before I complete them. your answers will greatly enhance my relation with lettuce :)

2. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Thanks to you, I searched for this and since the blog is too big I am copy pasting

1. Fill a sink with cold water, separate all the leaves of lettuce, place them in the water and swirl them around. If the lettuce is a bit limp, let it soak in the water for 30 minutes and it will miraculously come back to life.
    2. Drain the water, turn on the faucet, and briefly rinse each piece of lettuce as you remove it from sink and place in the basket of your salad spinner. If you use organic lettuce, just give each piece a quick once-over to check for clinging bugs and dirt. As you put the lettuce in the spinner, you can tear the leaves in half if they are large (such as full-size romaine).
    3. When the spinner is full but not tightly packed, spin the lettuce until dry.
    4. Spread two paper towels (still connected) on the counter and pile the dry lettuce in the middle. Wrap the paper towels around the lettuce and slide into a gallon-size zippered plastic bag. Squeeze the air out and close the bag.
    5. The lettuce can now be stored in the fridge and should stay fresh for at least a couple of weeks. You can take out what you need whenever you want to make a salad or sandwich and then just reseal the bag. The plastic bags can also be reused!

Source - A Recipe for Keeping Lettuce Fresh and Crisp - Pinch My Salt

If dried the way mentioned, she says two weeks!

No idea! May be trying both of them might give you an idea on your preference :hide:
    Which lettuce is good and tasty to eat raw? Hope there is no vast difference in the nutrients between these two varieties?

I hope this has helped you!

1 person likes this.
  3. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Here's my $0.02:

4. msm

msm Gold IL'ite

Thanks very much Srama and Malstrom for your detailed responses. Very Much appreciated...