1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Letters from a father to his daughter

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Vidya24, Feb 24, 2008.

1. AGR

AGR Bronze IL'ite

Dear dear Vidya

Fantastic........I can write only that much.......You have a knack for expressing.......and Hmmm.......for people like me we would feel happy that somebody else is expressing our feeling..........

2. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

Dear Vidya,

Your post read like a beautiful, structured story with a beginning, a middle and an end. You brought your father back to life for all of us.

I was chatting with a friend of mine this evening. And he, being fond of his daughter, quoted a touching Punjabi saying, "Beti mein pran basa hai." meaning "Our souls/lives are held by our daughters."

He even talked about a strange Punjabi custom. If a parent is ailing and will be better gone than living, like terminal cases, they will send the daughter away.
    Being the father of only daughter I could relate to what you have written. Ever since my daugther has left for higher studies I should say the quality of our conversation has improved. When I go to Chennai for my work, I take her out for dinner or lunch. Now we talk more like friends than as a parent and a child.

After having one such conversation a few days back I can fully understand the import of your words.
    So simple and yet so profound.

Another line which moved me was:
    I can understand the relationship between your father and your husband. When you write naturally addressed to both his children... that speaks of the love shared by the two men in your life.

Finally these words touched a chord in me. You need not have to be harsh on yourself. I am a father and I can tell you something. To the father, his daughter is always perfect. She is always his princess and queen.

It is after a long time that I am reading a wholesome piece of writing. Thanks for that.

regards,

3. slp807

slp807 Bronze IL'ite

Dear Vidya,

missed out on this very touching post, am lucky that i got to read it atleast today.

:bowdown for the writeup and i can understand your feelings.
    being the only daughter,i am more attached to my father and HE gives me courage and inspiration and when i feel tensed, depressed, i will give him a call and have a talk then i will be back to normal.

As Kamalji mentioned... do take the printouts

By the way, i too got 'Letters From a Father to his Daughter' by Nehru as a gift from my dear Dad.,

:bowdown to your dear Dad!!!

4. Devika Menon

Devika Menon Gold IL'ite

Dear Vidya,

That was a beautiful post one that kindled extreme emotions from me.
    I was very close to my father and was very unfortunate to lost him very early in life.
    There was still so much to learn from him but the cruel hands of death snatched him away much too soon.
    Your post made me very emotional.Infact I wanted to write before and attempted too but I just couldnt .Believe me it is 23 years since he's gone but still seems like yesterday when we would discuss matters, write letters , enjoyed a relation so beautiful yet so short.
    He had very high hopes for me , like all Dads wanted me to succeed in whatever i did.
    I learnt so much from him not knowing that I was learning!
    Daddy's are always so special to daughters and vice versa.
    I relived a lot of my childhood with my father as I went through your post.

Regards,
    Devika

5. shobabu

shobabu New IL'ite

Hi,

very touching and felt like talking to my dad at once..i too have preserved a few of his handwritten mails but now staying quite far save all his emails
    shobha

6. CarpeDiem

CarpeDiem Senior IL'ite

Dear Vidya,

Wonderful post! Your post brought out a lot of emotions in me. Skillfully written and so profound. It made me long for my father yet again. He passed away when I was 5 years old. Reading your post made me realize how our relationship would have been had he been alive.

7. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

Meena,

First and foremost, I apologise to you and all other who were kind enough to share their thoughts and my grief, and yet I could not reply to their goodness. Believe me, when I say from my heart that it was not my intention to ignore you or any of them intentionally. I wrote this post at a time when I was going thru immense personal crisis and had limited access to the net. I started replying to two, three members at a time. Then life got bit hectic with me relocating and I could not address this thread, though it has not been far from my mind.

I must say that those whom I replied to are good friends, but in no way my favourites or chamchas. Same can be said of those to whom I have not replied. All are friends, kind souls who tool the trouble of writing to me when I needed it.

I am sorry to read about the demise of your father. I too have gone thru the agony of not knowing about my fther's illness in right time, since I could not be contacted. And I too have moments of silent grief even now when I read old inland letters or first emails. No one can ever reproduce such concern.

Thanks again for your supportive words and apologies if I have hurt you now or before.

regards
    Vidya

Last edited: Jun 15, 2008
  8. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

Dear friends,

To all those who wrote a supportive message in this thread and to whom I have not replied, I am very sorry. This delay was not intentional. I have been in and out of one crisis after other with very limited access to the net.

So, please accept this post as a humble offering of gratitude to all those who have written here. Not replying to FB is bad and I am guilty of it. But it was not intentional. I will reply to each and every one here, once my situation stabilises.

Apologies and thanks
    Vidya

Last edited: Jun 15, 2008
  9. meenakrishnan

meenakrishnan Bronze IL'ite

Dear Vidya,
    I can very well understand your situation.I am sorry, if I hurt you.Even I have not attended my thread 'Let us learn a song today' for days and weeks....I don't get time to browse and reply the fbs due to some personal problems...I think expecting replies to wishes and condolences is ridiculous...Those words of sharing the same feelings come spontaneously...
    Love
    Meena

10. humerarouf

humerarouf Senior IL'ite

dear Vidya,
    You are right ,hearts and souls are more important than material gains, and wise are the men who believe and teach their children the same to affirm their faith in this truth.You are fortunate to have your fathers letters preserved.
    Sometimes, one feels like closing the door on the world outside and go through old letters,albums.
    I often look at a picture taken at my wedding just before leaving for my dh house when papa shook hands with my husband,it helps me
    Regards,humera