1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Let's talk about sex? How to talk about it to your child?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous in Parenting' started by JustAni, Oct 30, 2008.

1. adara

adara Bronze IL'ite

Re: Talking to kids about sex!...when and how?

Sure Laks...once I get the book and go through it with dd then I will post on how it all went and how far I think she understood.
    Once I open up the periods topic then I think that will get me started on talking to her about sex education...

2. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Adara,

My DD school had talks and details how much i do not know from the 7th standard being in india. but today in 9th, she says she understands about the reproductive system. (Though not much is discussed in detail, i feel the kids do have an idea of what is what.)

The other day one of the teachers was very much against the sex-education courses of the USA though she had her own arguments against it, i just left it as it is. one person's elixir is another's poison.

I would say go with what you feel fine as a mom. your instinct will definitely guide you. Even when talking about puberty, I talked to her saying if she gets it she needs to come and talk to me, and it is a mom-dd secret.

Regarding the average age, I am really worried with the average going down every year. 10 is the average for india. (we are also fast approaching the global average age of 8/10 according to my gynaec:hide:).

Malaytha, my gynaec is against giving too much soy products to kids. I stopped giving my ds soy nuggets and flakes and milk. I give them once a month now.

Tulir website lead me to this informative site. I just printed the necessary parts and filed it and presented it to my DD.

3. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Shanthi - I'm not surprised with girls attaining menarche at 10 in India. I myself got mine @ 11 and I had absolutely no clue whatsoever! I was shocked and scared. Schools those days didn't do much either. When I asked my Mom years later as to why she didn't prepare me she told me she was not too comfortable discussing it with us. I'm pretty sure none of my peers got prepared by their moms. I told all my friends about it. Imagine a 11 yr old giving out half baked information to peers. My worry is that my LO will get the same half baked information from her peers and I want to avoid that.
    Thanks for the link. I'll look it up! I still have a couple of yrs to go!
    Btw, I'm really wondering if we can look for some changes which can hint us to the onset of the first period. That way, when we see the changes, we can get them ready. Can you shed some light on it?

4. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Laks,

the link talks about everything from the changes to the bees ......check it out. so easily understandable.

For me, since i was on periodic check ups due to my gynaec problems, she was my guide. infact, one day i took DD to the clinic along with me, when she was 10, and she did talk to her about how things would change for her.

I did ask about it long time back in one of the threads.

5. Laks09

I just went through the link, Shanthi. Thanks a ton for it.
    I also read your thread. I'm glad to find other experienced moms here to help us out. It definitely helps!

Thanks again - Shanthi.

6. apar_ram

apar_ram Silver IL'ite

Dear Adara,Laks, et all,
    In my DD's case i first talked to her about puberty in very scientific terms and so she was prepared for that, she got it at 12. Adara the book that you have ordered is a godsend only in explaining not this topic but all other ones pertaining to girls and taking care. I would highly recommend it. I got it when she was around 10. I still bug her to read that book once in a while for good upkeep of herself.
    Now about birds and bees topic, I spoke to her before they spoke at school so she doesnt feel to embarassed. That too i did scientifically without getting too much in detail but still she found it gross! :) In my experience it is good to do both, first you start out the conversations and then they hear it at school too.
    Hope it helps,
    Aparna

7. Malyatha

Malyatha Gold IL'ite

Shanti, I have never before heard that soy products may actually not be good for kids! Do you know why this is? DD gets three glasses of soy milk a day, to replace the three glasses of milk she would have during the course of the day. Can you explain your gynecologist's thought process here?

Also, thank you very much for the informative link. I have bookmarked it. DD is currently too young for any of this stuff, but the information will be very helpful to us when the time comes.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2009
  8. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Malaytha,

She says that soy products disturbs the hormones. I am on a soya based estrogen compound..before HRT, and she told me to avoid it for both my kids.

Check out this site. Do google for the side effects of soy products :spin:spin. too much soy protein is definitely harmful. (I remember chitvish writing about her experience too.)

9. Laks09

Aparna - Thanks a lot for the tip. That definitely helps! I'm buying the book too.
    Shanthi - I always thought Soy Milk was an equivalent to regular milk without the lactose and is good for people who have lactose intolerance. I was aware of a small amount of estrogen present in Soy since I've seen a lot of my co workers in the US switch to Soy milk when they started seeing menopause related changes. Docs there advocate Soy milk/Soy Formula and consider it a healthy alternative to regular milk. In fact, I wanted to switch my LO to soy milk when we moved back because I could not find organic milk in India. She just didn't like the taste so I stuck with regular milk. The link you posted is an eye opener!

10. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Laks09,

This is what my gyn says. most of the times, we blindly follow all that we think is healthy. what is healthy for somebody maynot suit us. she also says though we are now global, indian metabolism has a certain resistance and acceptance for certain foods.

Both my kids have soya milk because of lactose intolerance.

I was giving soya too my kids until i had a indepth talk with her. i have reached menopause (surgical) so on soya proteins, and will definitely say if it works is better than hrt and its side effects.

I have a siddha friend who says if we follow our food habits according to the seasons and the availability, lot of our problems will be solved. do we have any seasons in chennai. we get all foods all times.