1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Lets share our feelings - Season 5

Discussion in 'Infants' started by Traveller, May 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pavarun

Pavarun Silver IL'ite

Oh Latha, healthy vibes to you. Take care. It is toughest when we get sick.

Nitha, good luck with the move. I'm sure you'll love this place. Maybe its just the moving jitters.

Aishu, have you tried formula? Even with the kanji or other puree keep trying. It gets a while for babies to get used to the different consistency.

Aarthi, happy picnicking! Your picnic lunch sounds so yummy!

Pooh, I think its worth a try, if both are ok with it. If your DH is not a huge fan and is dead against it and if you are not keen I would not make it a big issue.

Ramya, maybe a vacation may help?

Uma, hang in there. How long is your MIL going to be there?

2. aishu22

aishu22 Gold IL'ite

Hi Sindhu - no i haven't tried formula yet.

Pooh - It looks like that, b'coz yesterday apple puree was also a flop show.So I'm also thinking about postponing solids for a while.But shes very hungry&thirsty and my milk isn't sufficient to her.Yesterday night it was like she woke every 45 mins for feed :-( So I'm planning to give formula and introduce bottle rather than to give solids.
    What say?

Edited to ask this:- LO hasn't rolled over yet.She will be completing 5 months this 18th.Is she late? She showed interest and did tried rolling over but her hand got stuck between her tummy and she cried.After that she tried for few days and now she isn't trying at all.Cause of concern??

Last edited: May 16, 2010
  3. smart_soul

smart_soul Bronze IL'ite

Hello Ladies,

Been a beautiful day here. Had a couple of parties on Friday and Saturday evenings and DD had a blast. I had a nice haircut with 'scrunching' done.. for the first time and I'm liking it.

Rant time.....
    Am kind of low now.. had an argument with DH for no reason.. not argument per say, we were discussing something very important and he just walked off.. :rant. Feel like just yelling at him. But seriously staying COOL. My manthra for tomorrow would be 'IGNORE'. Also I like to travel and go outdoors in summer and he does like going out but not as much as I do and these days with DD I also have lost interest and at times I feel I've lost 'MY' nature to him. And during these low times is when all negative thoughts pop out.. don't they? Has anyone felt that way?

Poonam, I would think you can give photoshoot a try... No harm in it...
    Aarthi, picnic sounds fun. Do tell me how you planned and prepped for the event.

Aarthi, Latha - after you guys discussed about herbal tea, I so happened to find the same 'Yogi' brand tea for cold at a store here. I was excited to see it this morning and immediately picked up one.

Aishu, I think you need not worry too much about DD not rolling over. Some kids directly sit, I've heard. also check with paed on her milestones.

Hello to all ladies I've missed.. I haven't read all the posts yet. Will do it when I login back.. :)

4. aarthi7

aarthi7 Senior IL'ite

latha/s-s

packing picnic lunches is one of my fav things to do,i i feel so happy organizing everything from food to cutlery to snacks,its also economical and healthy.i have tried writing whatever i know here,,others may include their suggestions as well,it would be helpful for everyone around.a little bit of pre planning and organizing will be quite essential

i have a family picnic bag and blanket ,the bag is always equipped with cutlery(plates,spoons,paper cups and napkins),refuse bag ,jellies(for ds),.these are the things we might miss out in the last min.i keep furnishing the bag with these basics soon after every trip.

i decide a menu that has one main dish with side gravy,a starter,curd rice with papads,along with store bought sweets/chips. always carry plenty of fruits(preferably apple and clementines),water bottles and tetra pack juices.i have motion sickness,hence i carry fruit gums/cloves.

now coming to menu selection, it is always one of the following:
    --mixed rices-tamarind/coconut/lemon(seasoning is done the previous night and i also cook plain rice,so its just mixing in the morning)
    --chappathi rolls (with a thick gravy like panner tikka,aloo-mattar,bhindi masala).again,i make it the previous day and pack them in foil boxes ,i dont refrigerate them.thanks to the weather again.
    --puris with channa masala/potato masala
    --curd rice with seasoning
    --packets of ketchup(i keep collecting from macdonalds)
    --idlis(for break fast)in case of long day trips.
    --starters-deep fried snack/baked snack/dhoklas with coriander chutney

--if i make chappathis,i take a deep fried starter,if it is puris,i carry some baked goods or dhoklas.

--curd rice is a must for us,i make it the previous night and refrigerate,adding a little bit curd in the morning .of course,the weather is always mild here,so the curd rice has never turned sour so far.same is the case with other dishes as well,,they remain fresh atleast for 30 hrs.

--i use individual foil boxes/microwavable plasctic boxes for packing the food.food stays fresh and no chances of leaking as well.

i mostly stick on to this list,no further confusions about what to make.

being vegetarians,we have had lot of problems finding good food wherever we go,and ended up having severe acidity,headache and what not.i have made it a point thereafter to carry picnics ,even if it is for a short trip..believe me,it is so much enjoyable to carry your own picnic..

HAPPY PICNICKING,

sorry girls for the long post

Last edited: May 17, 2010
  5. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

hi girls,

hope you all had a relaxing week-end. sorry i'm yet to read all the posts. still not better:(

DH is still sick. DD vomitted loads of phlegm last night so she was feeling much better today. after a week or so she ate properly today - rasam rice and curd rice. i am so relieved. but the bug has left us with crazy sleeping/nap times and i'm not going to bother for some time about getting the routine back in order. first get better then other things. as DH says we both feel so tired and unable to gain any motivation. today we all forcefully went out for a walk. it's refreshing but the bout of cold air has caused me a headache again:(

SS,

i'll give you company on that rant. and i am with you on low mood and negative thoughts. i always think i'm getting better at 'ignoring' and burying those negative thoughts but then i realise i've made very little progress. i sometimes tell DH that he's still a huge puzzle to me despite a decade of togetherness:( and i'm the kind who can't keep my mouth shut when a dispute arises. i make a conscious effort not to talk tit-for-tat but then i can't just stay shut... it's so hard! DH hates it that i don't keep quiet during arguments. today i told him 'i can't wake up early, i can't keep quiet why don't you accept these flaws and look at my other positive things'... at the same time i must also accept him with his flaws:)

Aarthi,

thank you for compiling picnic tips. since we plan to do more outdoor activities this summer i'm sure it'll come in handy. and also when we have guests next month i've decided to stick onto basic menu. those recipes that can be prepared ahead to a large extent and that wouldn't take much of kitchen time during actual preparation. otherwise you know how it is when we have friends visiting.. they too would want to help and we can never go out. i've bookmarked this page:)

Aish,

i can't remember very well when my children rolled over, sat etc., (poor memory on this one!). but i can tell you DD has been late with all her milestones. i was soooo concerned that she wasn't walking. she started only around november (around 17 months). but once she learnt she was really fast.

hitting the bed. tomorrow will be a busy day. i've to call a music teacher for DS' violin classes. i've to fix a trial session before the summer holidays. he says 'i love to learn violin' but don't know if he really means that:)

6. arthidiva

arthidiva Silver IL'ite

Latha, sending lots of health vibes to you.. glad that DD has had proper meal today.. she must have got exhausted all these days..

Aarthi, great tips on picnics and its preparation.. wow girl, you are so organised!

Ramya, I seriously suggest you try staying in your mom's place to see if it makes any diff in Adu night sleep.. usually a change in place for a baby will change her sleep pattern in a good or bad way.. now that her sleep pattern is bad, hopefully any change will bring in some good to you both.. Also going forward can you take a break for 2 days in a week or atleast 2 days in a fortnight and go to your mom's house? girl you are working full time, and awake almost all night.. I went thru this and I went absolutely nuts, affected my mental health! I was completly an absent minded person until I got decent hours of sleep.. If I were you, I would spend atleast one day a week in mom's house given that your mom's place is nearby.. every weekend, you could atleast go there one evening and come back the next evening or lil sooner the next day.. I know ILs might look at it differently but thats not what is important now.. atleast one day in a week, YOU need some sleep.. the freshness you get after a good sleep is worth girl.. your DH will see the diff in you if you are allowed to get some sleep.. hugs to you.

Uma, hugs to you.. you may not be able to do much different this time too when your MIL visits but I think you know the lessons learned and you will handle it much better this time. dont worry.. make sure you plan enough activities for you and your kids so you are already busy when MIL arrives so lesser time for all of you to spend on silly issues. Ignore and smile (as if nothing happened, as if you didnt hear, as if you didnt understand what she meant) will help.. because it is anyways going to be just 2 or 3 months of togetherness.. its not worth spending time and energy on silly issues when you know nothing much can be changed between you..

oh pooh, ours is an avent family.. P and all his little cousins are very loyal to Avent bottles :)) Also we mommies at home feel no other bottle can be maintained as new as bought and it survives all the bangs the little boys do :)

Aishu, you could try Avent.. seems like your DD is clear she doesnt want solids so soon :)

Sindhu, how are you? hows P n V doing? hope your in-laws are having a great time.

Last edited: May 17, 2010
  7. msharadha

msharadha New IL'ite

I have come here to rant again. My sisters-in-law are here (I have 2) and always when they come they just ignore me and have a great time in their parents room. They are never rude to me, and we have not had any quarrels at all, and thats the reason I never understand why they ignore me. When I go sit along with them in the drawing room, they just quietly sneak out of the place one by one to their parents room and even MIL and FIL join them. They take my kid along and I will be left alone in the hall. This has happened everytime they visit, have already discussed with DH and he does not talk much about it. Now, as you all know DH is also not there to spend time, am just not able to tolerate this. Is this common in everyone's house, or is it am making it seem big.

Last night I just told DH that I would go and stay with my mom for 2 weeks next saturday, and he says he wants me to spend the weekends with his parents. Actually those are the days am affected the most. I told him that its ok, I will cancel my plan, did not want to discuss this ignoring topic with DH again. But you know what, he comes up angrily with a question "Do I have problem with his sisters visiting his house?" When am actually working hard to adjust and not make it hard on him, he speaks like this. Where did I go wrong gals? I just feel he lets me down everytime I need his support.

Any suggestions are welcome.

8. Amitha

Amitha Senior IL'ite

I have had this experience. The only difference is it happened when all of us met in my eldest co-sister's house and not in my own home. During summer holidays, both my sister-in-laws, my second co-sister and myself met in my eldest co-sister's house. My MIL, 2 SILs went inside a room, locked themselves for chatting leaving my 2 co-sisters and myself outside with children. I was a little surprised initially, but looking at my co-sisters, I understood that it was normal for them to behave that way.

Probably you should just enter the room wherever they are and ask "Can I join you people", "What are you guys doing here, I am all alone outside, do you mind if I join you". I mean if you feel there is some sort of barrier between you guys, you be the first one to break it - simple. I have done that and it worked for me. I would just enter the room and announce "Oh mother-daughters talking. Sorry for disturbing. I'll come back later". And invariably their response would be "No no ... absolutely no problem. We talk everyday, come in". I feel though they everyday on phone, when they actually meet in person, they want to have that special time for themselves.

You try to break the ice and see what happens. Let us all know, how it went.

9. Amitha

Amitha Senior IL'ite

Aishu,

My DS1 completed all the milestones by 3 months late. He rolled over at 6 months and walked exactly after 1 year 3 months. His speech was also a little delayed. All children are not same. Different kids have different speed at which they do & learn things. So don't worry.

By the way - when he actually started walking, running behind him was very tiresome. And so is his talking - now I feel "He was much better when he could speak less". Now he is a non-stop chatter-box :).

Discuss with her paed if it is really bothering you that much, but I think it is too early to be concerned about it.

10. msharadha

msharadha New IL'ite

Amitha, I forgot to mention that, my FIL never stays in the same room as I am. They tell that in their village the FIL never talks to DIL and the DIL need not serve food for the FIL. So I cannot go to their room and tell them that I would like to join them or that I am alone. They all know that I am alone, they do it wantedly. My niece used to feel bad that I am being ignored and she would tell it to her mom, aunt and granny, but they never used to mind it at all. I dont want to poke my nose in their affairs, but I do not want to be treated like that also. So I thought that me not being in the house will be better, that too when my DH is not around am already going nuts, now I really do not need this behaviour.

Still even DH is not understanding, what can I expect from his family.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.