Let's share how you reuse leftover food - Share and Prepare :)

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by Priya4oct, Mar 21, 2014.

1. Priya4oct

Priya4oct Gold IL'ite

Hi Friends,

During our discussion in another thread, i felt reuse of left over food is one if key area to avoid wastage. I thought to open another thread so that we all can share tips to reuse leftover with others.

Here is my idea -
    1. I make chapathi/Paratha dough using leftover daal/Sambhar. If I want to make paratha, I mix finely chopped onions, corriander and ajwain in dough. After making dough leave it for atleast 30 minutes and use....This is my frequent recipe.

2. This weekend, I made dhokla in bulk (thanks to my measurement sense :) ) and no body was ready to eat that after breakfast. So next morning I reused this dhokla - Fried this dhokla with onion, capsicum (green pepper) and peace and peanut powder. My DH liked a lot.

3. Some times , I mess leftover curries and mix with chapathi dough .

Please share your Ides too.

--
    Priyanka

5 people like this.

2. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Here are some tips from me.

Usually when guests come home most of the time we do have many left overs.

Chapatis (good for breakfast)
    Makes small pieces of these chapatis and keep aside.
    Chop onions, chillies and coriander.
    Then take a kadai add little oil to it, when the oil is hot season it with jeera then add kadipatha, chopped chillies and onion. fry for some time then add chapati pieces and fry it, then add salt, a little of red chilli powder, put it on slow flame closing the kadai and allow it to become hot. When you open the lid you can see the steam coming up then stir it then add a bit of sugar and lime juice and coriander and stir it nicely and serve it hot.

White rice(best during tea time)
    Take this white rice and smash a bit, then add chopped onions, a green chilli chopped, coriander leaves, salt and red chilli powder, ajwain mix all this nicely and make small balls.
    Heat oil in a kadai and deep fry these balls a very yummy snacks for your evening tea.

I think I have shared these before but can't remember:)

Sometimes there is lots of salad left, make yummy smoothie out of it.
    Take all the salads and mixie it to a fine paste. Add butter milk to it ( if the salad is just chopped veggies) and a pinch of salt and chat masala.

if the salad is already having some sprouts and masalas into it. just grind the salad if you feel it is too thick you can add butter milk to it or even you can add milk, the way you like it.

6 people like this.
  3. GaythriV

GaythriV Platinum IL'ite

Nice thread Priya4oct.

White rice pakora seems to be yummy. We can add bread also for more crispiness.

Nice recipes with leftovers.
    I always prepare fried rice with white rice using egg and left over chicken.

With leftover rice you can make Bisibela bath also.

In a cooker add oil, mustard seeds, curry leaves, chopped onion, tomato and 1 cup of mixed vegetables (carrot, beans, turnip, fresh peas). Saute' well then add instant bisibela bath powder and tamarind paste. Allow to cook for 2 min and add cooked dal, leftover rice, water and salt. Close the lid and leave 2 whistles to go. Remove and add required boiled water as the bath should be little watery. Serve hot with ghee and kara boondhi.

4 people like this.
  4. Arunarc

You are right Gayatri there are many types of rice preparation with white rice. You can make pulao of different types.
    We make a type of rice which is know as Lal baath(red rice)

For this take the white rice mix it with salt chilli powder and garam masala powder and keep aside.
    Chop onions and coriander, and coarsely grind garlic a bit more of them.
    Then in kadia heat oil add mustard seed after it splatters add curry leaves and garlic and fry for a minute then add this rice and mix it nicely close the lid and allow it to get nice hot then add coriander and serve it hot.

2 people like this.
  5. bhucat

bhucat Platinum IL'ite

I do not like to reuse the remaining stuffs for the next day, may be chapathis, chutneys are seems to be ok but not the curry, sambhar etc which is also not good for health.

Actually in Bhagavad gita there is a chapter (guess 9th one) which explains about the food and its usage in that it is mentioned not to consume the old ones...they even say to the extent that we should cook food for each time during a day ie breakfast, lunch and dinner should be prepared seperately...since it is too tiresome job we are using some of the same veggies in the dinner..though not practising completely, atleast trying to implement the poilcy of not using the previous day left overs....

Priya, Definitely not to deviate your intention of starting this, This is what i heard recently from a scholar so just sahred with good thought, so hope IL friends will take it in the right sense...thanks!

3 people like this.
  6. Arunarc

Hello Bhucat

During those days might be true, becoz left over might be used by the servants or so.

Even the doctors say that you can use the left overs of 1 or 2 days but see to it, it is been kept in the fridge. Not those left overs that are kept outside for more then 12 hours and reuse that food.
    In case you keep it in the freezer you can keep it for 8 days and consume it later.
    Yes once you remove the food from the fridge or freezer and it gets to the room temperature you use how much you want and you keep that food again for reuse. It is a big NO. This food should not be used again.

Taking some precautions and reuse of the food is no harm.

Thanks for putting in your point here, I had a good discussion and information about this from my doc friends. And the credit goes to you:)

2 people like this.
  7. pinkRoseBud

pinkRoseBud Gold IL'ite

My biggest concern after I started cooking is to how to reuse chapathis. I started making different types of rolls with it. You can use whatever vegetables you want. Sometimes I add cheese too. That tastes not less than restaurant wala khana :queen patting my back

Newbie at this. So hope it's healthy.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  8. indoc

indoc Gold IL'ite

Left over idlis.. no problem.. make upma from them.. recipe almost same as arunarc posted above.. but add more veggies like string beans, bell pepper or half a can of peas and one finely chopped tomato. Can add eggs too and make it as egg fried upma.

1 person likes this.
  9. krishnaamma

krishnaamma Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear ladies this is a nice thread :) foe more ideas Please go through the link in which I gave many ideas to use left overs :)

http://www.indusladies.com/forums/krishnaammas-kitchen/6074-new-dishes-using-left-overs-9.html
    with love Krishnaamma :)

10. thegirlygirl

thegirlygirl Platinum IL'ite

You're so right Bhucat!

I just thought of this when I saw this thread.

This verse is in the 16th or 17th chapter of the Bhagvad Gita, and it goes something like this,

'Food which are wholesome, fatty are dear to those in the mode of goodness, food which are putrid and of decaying matter are dear to those in the mode of ignorance.'

It is also written in the Bhagvad Gita that food should be consumed within 3 hours of being cooked, after that it is unsuitable for human consumption.

I too don't like to use leftover food at all. My dad is especially fond of leftover food, so to change his habit, I copied this shlok from the Bhagvad Gita with the translation on a piece of paper and stuck it on the fridge! :)

1 person likes this.