Let's Fire Up Those Neurons!

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by Gauri03, Jul 23, 2014.

1. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I arrived at the answer in multiple ways, not sure which was first. I tried all these:

World Trade Center + airplanes landing + Christopher Award
    that took me to the wiki page for Christopher Award where I searched for "World", that had an entry "The Day the World came to town... Gander, Newfoundland." I saw the "Gander" but I was looking for Goose. : )

The goose/gander clue and the musical took some connecting.
    I searched Goose + St. John's + WTC
    That took me to "Goose Bay" which coincidentally was also associated with helping the diverted aircraft:

Early afternoon
    Diverted aircraft begin to arrive at Newfoundland and Labrador airports in St. John’s, Gander, Stephenville, Goose Bay and Deer Lake.
    “I was just so proud of how our emergency measures group jumped into action and how the local leadership responded, especially in
    Gander and St. John’s, Stephenville and Goose Bay.”
    The musical was hard to connect as i kept using "WTC + musical" or "World trade center + musical". Somehow I finally put "9/11 + musical" , one of the search results had an image with the same hardwood floor as the image in the puzzle clue. LOL. Some use of all the time spent choosing hardwood for my house.

My take-away from this puzzle solving was the importance of the principle of parsimony and using multiple synonyms in search. "WTC" "World Trade Center", 9/11...

Can't believe it's been 21 years. What a coming of age ...

For me, this was almost a coffee-break puzzle. Good one, jskls.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2022
    jskls, Thyagarajan and Laks09 like this.
  2. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear @jskls,

This was somewhat an easy but a very interesting puzzle. While I landed with world trade center pretty quickly, it took me a little while to get to the solution itself. Like I mentioned, I went on a wild goose chase to actually land where I did. I think my mind went all over the place - the moment I noticed that dot on Canadian map, all I could think of was Nova Scotia and a favorite song Carly Simon's "You are so Vain". Go figure! Spent sometime listening to the song and then when I looked closely by typing in WTC aero planes Nova Scotia....I landed at Gander international airport and the rest as they say is history. I finally made a connection to @Gauri03's hint of September ribbon also :)

Enjoyed it. Thank you! Also thanks to V sir @Viswamitra and @Kohvachn for answering to my messages to confirm if I was on the right track :)

jskls, Gauri03 and Thyagarajan like this.
  3. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:Superb. Alpha to omega, in toddler's step by step described the origins of making the puzzle and the formulae to reach the pinnacle of solution - just stupendous.
    You lighted a candle when I was cursing my darkness around this Funtastic image puzzle.
    God Bless us all.

jskls, Rihana and Gauri03 like this.
  4. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

@jskls,

I related well with the Ground Zero and the planes and identified it as something to do with 9/11 right away. As I had mentioned earlier, I left JFK at 1 a.m. to reach Tampa at 3:30 a.m. on 9/11 due to faulty plane departing 6 hours and 30 minutes later. Had I stayed in NY that night, it would have taken 6-7 days for me to return to Tampa. Sad memories. Your map nailed me with Gander in Newfoundland before I recognized Gander bird. Immediately I recognized the Operation Yellow Ribbon. I had also landed in Gander once when I returned from India on my way back to the US for refueling (May be for a different reason but that was announced by the captain as the reason). However, I worked on the other clues about the book and musical later which is why I responded on that the next day.

When you asked the question about the extra credit, I did mention the answer in a spoiler and thanks to the guidance from @Kohvachn, I immediately removed it and changed my answer. Thank you @Kohvachn.

Your puzzle was a great success, in my mind, simple and easy to follow. So much to learn from you. I wish all your future puzzles a great success as well. Thank you for setting up this puzzle despite your busy schedule.

Laks09, jskls and Thyagarajan like this.
  5. Kohvachn

Kohvachn Gold IL'ite

"...After the collapse of the Soviet Union, Havana-Moscow flights became a bit of a pain for the Canadians as numerous frustrated Cubans and Soviets sought asylum there. Finally, they passed a rule that anyone traveling on a flight which stopped at Gander had to have a Canadian visa!"

Lol. It was interesting to read about the history of the Gander airport from its world war times to the recent - operation yellow ribbon. A feel-good story indeed about 9/11.

History and trivia combined, just how I had liked to be entertained! :wink1:

Good puzzle @jskls. The design was neat; clues were approachable, leading to the wiki and from the wiki to the rest of the clues easily. Enjoyed solving it. :thumbsup:

Sweet. When I was reading about the water designs of Mughal architecture, I remembered your "Roman Aqueducts" puzzle. This is another, that will stay in my mind for more good reasons! :beer-toast1:

Laks09, jskls and Thyagarajan like this.
  6. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Thanks for the puzzle @jskls ! I enjoyed solving it. Congratulations to little Ms Jskls for winning the award!!

The planes and freedom tower immediately brought up 9/11 in my mind. From the map I landed on Goose Bay. I assumed the bird was a goose, and though I ought to know better, I didn't check further. :oops: It led me to Operation Yellow Ribbon right away. I could connect the musical and the volunteer photo, but had trouble with the Christopher Awards. Coincidentally, the head of the volunteering operation from Goose Bay also wrote a book about Operation Yellow Ribbon called, Flown into the Arms of Angels. I figured that was the book you were talking about but that book hadn't won the Christopher Award. It was after you told me to look close to where I was that I found Gander and all the clues fell in place!

Making a puzzle that is neither too easy nor frustratingly hard is an art and you seem to have the formula just right. My favorite puzzles are ones that teach me something I hadn't known before. This one scored on both counts! : )

-----------------------------------------------------------------
    I will take the rest of this week to update the puzzle index. Will post the next puzzle around the middle of next week.

Laks09, jskls, Rihana and 1 other person like this.
  7. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Had a mid-coffee brain flash that you had asked this question and I had’t answered. The answer is yes. That is totally acceptable. In order to google Northern Africa, one has to start by knowing it is Africa. If someone needs to reverse image search Africa, these puzzles may not be for them. : )

So long as we aren’t sticking actual images into images.google.com and looking them up, we are on the straight and narrow. All other strategies are valid including asking children, spouses and neighbors.

Laks09, jskls and Rihana like this.
  8. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

Glad to hear that. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this puzzle. Cant believe it’s 21 years today.

I had a tough time choosing the image for Gander as well

Laks09 likes this.
  9. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

Ha ha I did listen to this song as well and some interesting read there. Wonder how a full solar eclipse will be in Nova Scotia. Thanks for playing this puzzle

Laks09 likes this.
  10. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

Thanks for playing this puzzle sir. I am sure the next one will be a breeze

Thyagarajan and Laks09 like this.