Let's Fire Up Those Neurons!

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by Gauri03, Jul 23, 2014.

1. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

This is what happened,

Skeleton key -> passe-partout -> Jules Verne -> his female relatives -> what a waste of time!

Skeleton key -> collar -> Aria's emphasis on linking -> crochet -> famous crocheters -> Oh boy! This is going nowhere.

Back to Skeleton key -> passe-partout -> manservant ->around the world in 80 days -> Wikipedia page -> There she was... 'Nellie Bly' or ELIZABETH JANE COCHRANE

1 person likes this.
  2. Gauri03

The first one is REBEKAH BROOKS. Seen her all over the news during the 'News of the World' voice-mail hacking scandal. Are all the ladies famous journalists?

1 person likes this.
  3. Aria

Aria New IL'ite

Gauri the way you cracked Nellie Bly cracked me up! Sure, there is a Kate Warne there, eh? Who is Kate Warne? She is the first female private detective employed by Pinkerton Detective Agency, making her the first female American private investigator. Similarly Nellie Bly bent the rules, broke the shackles and pioneered journalism for women not as belletristic writing in fashion but trenchant writing on socio-political issues.

Wikipedia entry has more details on the story behind her entry into undercover journalism.

An aggressively misogynistic column titled "What Girls Are Good For" in thePittsburgh Dispatch prompted her to write a fiery rebuttal to the editor under the pseudonym "Lonely Orphan Girl".[8][9][10] The editor George Madden was impressed with her passion and ran an advertisement asking the author to identify herself. When Cochrane introduced herself to the editor, he offered her the opportunity to write a piece for the newspaper, again under the pseudonym "Lonely Orphan Girl".[10] After her first article for the Dispatch, titled "The Girl Puzzle", Madden was impressed again and offered her a full-time job.[9] Female[citation needed] newspaper writers at that time customarily used pen names, and for Cochrane the editor chose "Nellie Bly", adopted from the title character in the popular song "Nelly Bly" by Stephen Foster. She originally intended for her pseudonym to be "Nelly Bly," but her editor wrote "Nellie" by mistake, and the error stuck.As a writer, Bly focused her early work for the Dispatch on the plight of working women, writing a series of investigative articles on female factory workers. But editorial pressure pushed her to the so-called "women's pages" to cover fashion, society, and gardening, the usual role for female journalists of the day. Dissatisfied with these duties, she took the initiative and traveled to Mexico to serve as a foreign correspondent.

Further reading at Little Orphan Nellie – The New Inquiry

What?! you did not follow the haberdashery trail for the last lady in the set? Yes, they are all journalists, sensational , trailblazers in their times (the last lady for a different reason)

Last edited: Jul 25, 2014
  4. Aria

Aria New IL'ite

Image2.jpg Image3.jpg Image1.jpg

I know there is still one to crack! But I am too excited hence posting another set , prelude with no clues, er..what ever.

Identify the pattern and who/what do these images represent?

(okay the pattern is frivolous)

Gauri, I hope you didn't mind the entropic neurons appropriating the platform from you today, I had some free time, all yours from tomorrow to host.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2016
  5. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

(1) I should point out (re: the first puzzle) that I did not invent the John Calvin / Thomas Hobbes connection. Bill Waterston, the cartoonist, studied political science at university, so he named his characters deliberately. The clues hewed close to the source.

(2) Very oblique hints are often attenuated further during signal transmission, such that only incomprehensible da-di-dits are received at the other end. I was headed to the Reform Club, to catch up with my friend Phil. No time to check out Nellie's take on the latest collars from Milan. She was a fashion reporter before she became a world traveler.

I am loath to kill the puzzle before others have had a crack at it ... hence the urge to draw it out a bit, just a bit longerrrrrrrrr.

1 person likes this.
  6. Aria

Aria New IL'ite

The transatlantic telegraph cable is fried up because of the excited neurons transmitting incoherent "dits" and "dahs".

Is it to discuss Nestlé invests $9m on Bulgaria Kit Kat line ? What a respite to parental woes!

7. Gauri03

That was a good tip. :) The third lady is AMELIA BLOOMER.

1 person likes this.
  8. Gauri03

On the contrary, I am grateful you're keeping the thread alive. Please keep 'em coming!

9. Ragini25

Ragini25 Platinum IL'ite

soka is alive? :cool2:

1 person likes this.
  10. Aria

Aria New IL'ite

Obliquely ditty-dahy clue for http://www.indusladies.com/forums/e...lets-fire-up-those-neurons-3.html#post3337368

"Sunset Boulevard" - the movie. Sunset Boulevard — is a 1950 American film noir directed and co-written by Billy Wilder, and produced and co-written by Charles Brackett. It was named after the boulevard that runs through Los Angeles and Beverly Hills, California. Break the linguistic madacam (def: broken stone used in making a road) in that avenue!

(For some reason I am unable to add hypertext to the hyperlinks in the post)

Last edited: Jul 25, 2014