1. What Movie Did You Watch Today? : Post Here
    Dismiss Notice

Let us discuss the kutcheries you have attended/listened...

Discussion in 'Music and Dance' started by Shanvy, Dec 18, 2007.

1. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Re: Let us discuss the margazhi kutcheries you have attended/listened...

Dear Shanthi,
    I am running between MFA , Music Academy & Brahma gana sabha, for a few programmes.

Sudharani's dance-drama Mammuda is incomparable ! Do not miss it at all.
    I loved the kutcheris of Bombay Ranjani-Gayatri immensely. They are topping my list of favourites now. In academy their RTP in Kapi was superb. All these years, I have heard Kapi RTP once by TVS & then now, an excellent rendition by the duo.
    Their pilu abhang on Eknatha in MFA is still ringing in my ears !
    Love,
    Chithra.

2. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

hi chithmam,

Wow, you are having a nice time and feast for eyes and ears..i miss it..

But now with the net, the AIR, media channels I am getting almost all the kutcheries...

heard from a friend that rain played spoil sport in that kutcheri...will post the whole concert for all il's if she sends me a copy.

Will be expecting more from you......

3. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

V24,

Thanks. I started this thread so that we can all discuss. yeah i too liked the Q&A of priya sisters. all the best for your resolution...

For me most probably it is forgive..and i have written few scribbles on the same in indian poems..and why forgive..will talk about it when i succeed...
    :cheers

4. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

OST --What to talk about his performance...His theme was apt for thiruvadirai.Nataraj/Sivan.....how does he retain his voice??? a clear flowing voice...

1. Isha Pahimam- Kalyani - Tyagayya
    2. Sabapathiku -Abhogi- Gopalakrishna Bharathi..(The song flowed so well ...).
    3.Natesan Namami Satatam-Manirangu-??? composer I am not sure (I know very few songs..in this ragam...the evergreen YAAR ENNA SONNALUM popularised by Maharajapuram.)
    4. Nagalingam Bajeham--Sankarabaranam-Diskhitar (The elaborate piece was beautiful. and the thani by - Umayalpuram K.Sivaraman on his mridagam really was too good..and he could hold a place for himself...:clap:clap.)

5. Kana vendamo --Sriranjani--Papanasam Sivan..(This is one of my favourite ...irukann irukumbodhe vinnuyir gopuram kana vendamo..
    (...those of you who have read many of my posts and blogs... will know i am partial to PSS....:biggrin2:)
    6.Kandavarkku kanavilum kala bhayam Edayya kanaka sabhaiyil ulle idadu kalait-tukki adum kaksi-Kunthalavarali-swarna venkatesa dIkshitar (this was the song in the background during the personal column..) ..would have liked to hear the whole piece...
    7. Eppo varuvaro--Jhonpuri -Gopalakrishna Bharati.

5. Meenaneelakantan

Meenaneelakantan Bronze IL'ite

Dear Shanthi ma'am

Thanks for providing that special link..
    What a feel it is to see my Anjaneya here!!

I dint go to temple yesterday..thought of going tomorrow to get the program schedule..Thanks again ma'am..and how come you found that link?

Love
    Meena

6. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

hi meena,

You are welcome to the link. I used this once before for sending the picture of anjaneyar to one of my friends...

7. honeybee

honeybee Gold IL'ite

The concerts I attended so far..I did not make a note of the songs sung,so it's "quote from memory"
    Priya sisters
    They began the concert on a traditional note with"kalyani varnam".They sang "Shobillu sapthaswara".( I don't remember the rest!)
    The concert was good.This time there was some minor discord in their otherwise perfectly co-ordinated singing.The auditorium had its share of acoustics problems.One of the sisters had a sore throat and had difficulty scaling peaks.
    The hall was just half full.This year there is drop in audience level for Priya sisters and mandolin Sri. U.Srinivas.In my opinion, it has nothing to do with their peformance.They rock as usual.It's the audience whose tastes have changed.

Aruna Sairam
    She is a sure crowd puller.The hall was brimming and was filled to its max capacity.There were plastic chairs too in addition to the regular ones to accomodate more people.Tha ambience was too good.Her performance was a power
    packed one.. and the loud consistent applause was a proof of her talent.She ahs a husky voice compared to other female counterparts and she traverses from low pitch to high pitch with total ease.(pesum kural!)
    The speciality of the evening was "Bajare re manasa" in abheri and her Abhang.There was arequest for "Maadu meikkum kanne" and she willingly obliged.She's one of the most friendly singers and interacts with the audience.

8. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sowmya Honey,
    My two cents on Aruna Sairam.
    I used to be her great fan - now not so much ! She literally "shouts" music (as though!). The graceful or gentle hues in her music are slowly fading away. She is a very pleasantly mannered singer, but a tactful crowd-puller ! She knows how to "stage manage" her music - not wrong at all !
    Love,
    Chithra.

9. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

hi sowmya,

I also agree with chithmam, though i being a kelvignanam, cannot say she is shouting, i will use an term aggressive...the way she comes out with her performance shows too much aggressive with a lilt towards arrogance)(?) but i don't have the capacity to judge her just by her performance...

But she is definitely a crowd puller......and has a rare voice......

10. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

When Chitmam, was talking about the ranjani and gayathri sisters, I did not relate to the sisters who have transcended to singing along with the expertise on the violin.

Yesterday, Had to help one of my friend, just heard one song....Karpaga manohara...in tamil there is a saying oru panai sotthukku oru parukkai padam..(that is to check if the pot of rice is cooked, u need to just check a grain)...
    what to say wow...they have a great voice ...simply excellent...they are in for a long run....
    So I waited for the retelecast..though it is smaller slot then the original...here is the list...

Concert theme - Kshetras...

1.Thera theeyakka raada - Gowlipantu...Tyagayyar...
    2.Karpaga manohara - Malayamarutham - Papanasam Sivan.
    3. vazhi maraithiukuthe - Kharaharapriya?-Gopalakrishna Bharathiar
    4.Kaliyuga varandan - Brindavana Saranga - Periyasami Thooran
    5.Bogindra sayinam - Kundalavarali-Swati thirunaal
    6.Pandari se bhoota - Abang-Sant Tukkaram

Anybody is curious about their performance check out their performance of another abang at YouTube - Vithobha Chala
    (the number of comments is a proof for their performance)

Last edited: Dec 26, 2007