Let us all light Yama Deepam.

Discussion in 'Festivals, Functions & Rituals' started by Chitvish, Oct 17, 2006.

1. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear Usha,
    This year deepavali falls on Chathurdasi. So, Yama Deepam is to be lighted on 8 th thusday evening. Amavasai is on 9th Friday - so Kubera Pujai is to be done that evening.
    Love,
    Chithra.

2. malspie

malspie Platinum IL'ite

Dear Chits,

So much we learn from you !!!
    I had never heard of Yama Deepam. Diwali is on 8th (Oil bath in the morning ritual), That evening we have to lit "Yama Deepam". Learning and understanding your valuable posts.
    A small query - why is trayodashi attached to Yama... Is it only the trayodashi that falls before Diwali or trayodashi of every month... Just trying to ponder more on the subject...

3. Chitvish

Dear Mals,
    It is customary to light lamps on deepavali evening. So, we must light on 8 th evening.
    One can chant the following shloka also:

DaththO deepas(h) chathurdas(h)yaam narakapreethayae mayaa
    Chathurvarthi samaayuktha: sarva paapaa(a)panuththayae

த(3)த்தோ தீ(3)பச்(H) சதுர்தச்(H)யாம் நரகப்ரீதயே மயா
    சத்ர்வர்த்தி ஸமாயுக்த: ஸர்வ பாபா(அ)னுபத்தயே

It is auspicious to light deepam with four wicks in particular because that is specially meant for eradicating all papams. The fear of death will not strike a person who lights this deepam & chants this shloka.

Love,
    Chithra.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2007
  4. prishen

prishen Bronze IL'ite

Dear Chitra Maami,
    Namaskaram. I just read through all your post on this thread, "Let us all light Yama Deepam". Thank you for enlightening us on the importance of ligting deepams on Deepavali. I have a small question. Please correct me if I am wrong.
    In the post last year for Diwali, you have mentioned that we should light the deepam and pray Lord Yaman on Thrayodashi day. For this year you have mentioned that we should light on Chathurdasi day. Sorry that I am new to this. I dont understand the importance of Thrayodashi day and Chathurdasi day. Why we need to light deepam on dfferent days every year. Any special reasons for this or I have misunderstood somehitng here. Please advise me.

Thanks,
    Priya

5. girijashaji

girijashaji New IL'ite

dear Chitra mam,
    When i went thru the older threads i happened to read abt Lakshmi kubera pooja which i am planning to do this year.For that can you send me a picture of Mahalakshmi with Kubera?I had asked this in the deities thread.but i think you have not seen that.Hence this mail
    Thank you
    Girija Shaji

6. gayu_r

gayu_r Senior IL'ite

Dear Chittu manni,

This is the first time I am going to light yama deepam and do lakshmi kubera pooja for Diwali.. Honestly I have not heard of these before, inspite of having grown up in Chennai.. I have taken printouts of all these shlokas, bought the deepams from Indian store and am looking forward to the festival :) I am sure these add more value to the festival and I really like it when any festival is accompanied with things-to-do apart from eating yummy things :)

Affly,
    Gayu

7. prabhabala

prabhabala Gold IL'ite

Hi chitra,

We all know about lighting of lamps. I never knew why it was lighted.

It is so nice to hear the explanation from u.

thanks for sharing

prabha

8. Chitvish

Dear Priya,
    You are correct. I made a mistake.
    This year Yamadeepam is to be lighted on Wednesday 7th evening.
    The reason is given as follows:

Aas(h)vinasyaa(a)sithae pakshae thrayOdas(h)yaam nis(h)aamukhae
    Yamadeepam bahirdadyaath apamruthyur vinas(h)yathi

ஆச்(H)வினஸ்யா(அ)ஸிதே பக்ஷே த்ரயோதச்(H)யாம் நிசா(H)முகே
    யமதீபம் ப(3)ஹிர்த(3)த்(3)யாத் அபம்ருத்யுர் வினச்(H)யதி

ஆஸ்வின மாதம் க்ரிஷ்ணபக்ஷ த்ரயோதசிக்கு யம தீபம் என்று பெயர்.அன்று மாலை யமதர்மராஜாவைக் குறித்து வீட்டுக்கு வெளியில் அகலில் நல்லென்ணை விட்டு விளக்குகளை ஏற்றி வைத்து வழிபட்டால், நாம் அறியாமல் செய்த பாபங்களும், யமபயமும் விலகும்.

We should light as many lamps as the number of persons living in the house and keep them outside the house or in a nearby temple. This is supposed to eradicate all our “papams” and “fear of death”.

In North India, the lamps are kept burning right through the night in reverential adoration to Yama, the God of death.

The following shloka (from skaanda mahapuranam) can be chanted when lighting the lamps.:

Mruthyunaa paas(h)dandaabhyaam kaalaena s(h)yaamayaa saha

Thrayodas(h)yaam deepadaanaath sooryajah preeyathaam mama

ம்ருத்யுனா பாச(H)த(3)ண்டாப்(4)யாம் காலேன ச்(H)யாமயா ஸஹ

த்ரயோத(3)ச்(H)யாம் தீ(3)பதா(3)னாத் ஸூர்யஜ: ப்ரீயதாம் மம

May my deepa daanam please Yama Dharma Raja, who holds Paas(h)am and dandam in his hands, shines with Shyama daevi and Kaaladaevan and is the son of Suryan.
    பாசம், தண்டம் இவைகளை கைகளில் ஏந்தி ச்யாமா தேவி மற்றும் காலதேவனுடன் பிரகாசிக்கும் ஸூர்யனின் மகனான யமதர்மராஜாவானவர், நான் செய்யும் இந்த த்ரயோதசி தீபதானத்தால் ஸந்தோஷமடையட்டும்.

Love,
    Chithra.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2007
  9. Chitvish

Dear Girija,
    I remember you asked for it. I was waiting to post it around deepavali time. I will do it.
    Love,
    Chithra.

10. poonamjoshi9266

poonamjoshi9266 New IL'ite

Dear Chitra Mam,

From my childhood i have seen this in my house.

In-laws never use to do but i have started since last 9-10 years.

We are suppose to do this on 8th Nov'07 (late night) this year.