1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Lessons Learnt in Kitchen

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by Harithag, Nov 23, 2009.

1. Lady1

Lady1 Silver IL'ite

All experiences are quite funny in hindsight and also give good lessons-mine is similar:
    My mother in law came to stay with me in US after a long time passed in my marriage. By then I had two young children aged 7 and 4. She was extremely orthodox as well as a strict disciplinarian and this was the first time I would have a close encounter-long-term with her in the U.S. a completely different locale & culture compared to Triplicane, Chennai.
    I had built a sunroom and additional cooking set up for accommodating her orthodoxy but still cooked pasta etc for the kids in the kitchen with great apprehension about offending her somehow. One day the pot was boiling but I heard her coming and got very frightemned that she may say something and removed it and ran here and there to hide it somewhere for later. I had to set it down and I was on the carpet covered staircase and did. When I regained my breath and lifetd I found to my horror that now the pot with the pasta was stuck to the carpet which was slightly melted and discolored from the heat-I yanked it and the top square matching the corning ware came with it and went outside to put the whole thing out till my husband would return. I got so busy with my work and tending to the kids etc that when I went back after my husband's return from work-we found a small bird fallen in the pasta pot and trying to get out...would this horror ever end?! My mother-in-law came out at this time and said in a pleasant voice, would you like to make that special thing you make for the kids-that thing that looks like yarn strings? [meaning pasta] ... we just had to laugh peevishly while pulling the dirty past[experience]a pot behind our back ...
    I still cook pasta for the family but have since learned not to feel unnecessary inhibitions about our own close relatives.

2. jagruthi

jagruthi New IL'ite

Hi guys:

I am new to IndusLadies.com but when I saw these posts I wanted to share one of my experience. When I was new to cooking I need to use cooker and wasn't very familiar with it. So assuming that dal was ready I opened the cooker top with out removing the weight on it and just in a second all the extra water in the cooker spilled out like a cracker :bonk. Thank god nothing spilled on me. Never ever opened a cooker with weights on it.

Thank you
    Good Day!!!

3. beinglucky

beinglucky New IL'ite

I agree with the lesson posted by meena which is the most important one
    "never ever divert the attention while you are in the kitchen... '

Many times we forget whats in kitchen and burn the kadai nicely.

If u face that, immediately transfer the curry to some other vessel and put the kadai under tap. Immediately scrub off using the steel scrub or scrotchbite...but bit carefully dont burn your fingers

It will get cleaned as if nothing is wrobg with that.

4. toseetha

toseetha New IL'ite

HI All,

Some of us do practice to switch off the gas cylinder towards the End of the day. It is a good practice, however, it is also imp to switch of the gas stove also when we off the cylinder.

My hubby one day, did not off the stove and switched off only the cylinder. The next day morning, i opened the cylinder - but only after some time realized the stove was on. This could be very risky.

Note: This is my first posting and i hope i will become more active in the near future.

Cheers All,
    Seetha

5. anaconda1997

anaconda1997 Senior IL'ite

i got married when i was 21. we shifted to new rented house. i cleaned house for 3 days. then i asked DH to bring me cleaning acid to clean tiles and floor. he brought me just a normal cleaner because the shopkeeper said it acid will spoil floor. i shouted at DH and made him go again and buy. i applied and saw the mosaic floor become too hard and lost its smooth surface. i regret a lottt but thanks for DH ,he never irritated me by reminding it me but Sister in law told everyone.

2. i boiled milk and it got spoilt. washed the vessel , (MOT PROPERLY!!!)again another packet of milk got spoilt. then again ,than again and went out to buy one more, that too.. i started to CRY!! :rant then my sister laughed at me sayin it was due to the vessel which was nt washed properly.. aww ****. now i close a vessel which has no edges ad easy to clean and nothing is left behind. also learnt to boil milk in SIM. not heavy flame.

and sooo many ladies.. ! i would nt use harpic!! thanks!! hey was your sink a steel one??

6. charvi2811

charvi2811 Junior IL'ite

Mini Fire in the Kitchen:shaking:
    This happened today at 12:30pm while i was preparing lunch....... like i do normally i had put my vegetable on the gas stove on low flame and went to watch television to come and stir the vege after a while, the position of the gas is visible clearly from my T.V room , my one eye on the T.V set and the other on the gas i noticed fire from behind my gas stove, i rushed to the kitchen to see the gas pipe was on fire , i immediately switched off the gas supply from the cylinder as also the gas burners, i also opened the windows....... whew !! as soon as the gas supply was cut the fire died out within seconds.....
    Thank god no damage was done......... i called someone from the gas agency immediately :help and he came and replaced the gas tube connecting the cylinder to the gas stove, he said the tube had got loosened from the connecting end..........
    Lesson learned : Keep checking the gas tube regularly my friends this could have gotten bad but for:bowdown God's grace ALL IS WELL.
    _____________________________________________________________________________________
    CHEERS CHARVI

7. nityakalyani

nityakalyani Gold IL'ite

Hi,
    nice thread started. Like evryone i do have the habit of keeping something on the stove and forgetting as i get involved into my online classes. As usual the cooker was charred but the rice did not get charred. Idea stuck to me.why not use a pich of Harpic to clean the cooker bottom,did it very meticulously and the botom started to shine.all the teesal was removed and the cooker is similing once again.
    Lesson leart- i ensure that all are switched off before i sit in front of my computer
    nityakalyani

8. Deepthik

Deepthik New IL'ite

Hi..
    I want to keep my experiences in this thread...
    this incident happend in 2006 I think... I work in night shifts... I stay in hostel maintained by a couple. they have 2 kids..one boy & gal..
    On that day, early in the morning around 5:00am one of my hostelmate went to aunty for some hot water for bath.. Auntys family is still sleeping..so, she wake them up and asked for hot water from out side....

aunty went into the kitchen and switched on the light there... thatz it.. cylinder blasted :-((
    reason is the gas pipe is loosened or became old.. so, it is leaking the gas.
    As soon as she switched on the light due to electricity, flames came and cylinder blasted..

Very sad and fearful day... even now am getting tears coz of pain caused...

As thesre is only that family staying at the downstairs all the problem was faced by them only... :-(

Aunty expired after struggling for 15 days or so... Uncle and kids suffered almost for 3 - 6 months..now they are fine...

they are very cool and happy family.. every one of us loves the family.. but now, the family has been splitted... donno how those kids are now, I heard from one of my fnd that uncle is in marriage trails, but dont know how far it is true...

So, my dear ladies never take closed room for kitchen or see atmost venitillation flows into the room... dont blindly switch on the light early in the morning...first open the doors or windows and then switch on the lights... Also, make sure the cylinder pipe and gas stove are in good condition...

thanks for sharing your experiences...
    and I wish not to hear any experiences from any one as of mine...

9. anaconda1997

anaconda1997 Senior IL'ite

deepthi, what a tragedy .. it shd nt have happened.. thanks for sharing this here.. i was very careless abt this thing but i will see if everything is perfect.. so bad..

day before yesterday, me and hubby had a fight so we were nt speaking wel.. night at 11 i kept milk to boil in SIM. morning i woke up at 4.15. milk was still boiling . OMG . today i disposed the vessel fully. this happening to me again this month but not this long!!!

10. vadapallisudha

vadapallisudha Gold IL'ite

hi harita,
    It is true we learn many things from our mistakes.and few of them u remember everytime u venture to do the same work.reading ur thread i wanted to share on stupid mistake i have done in the initial days of my marriage.
    I was married 8yrs back.my husband was Flight Lieutenant when i joined him.on my welcome to the airforce station he was stationed the unit has arranged an welcome party for me(it is a custom).i was to be there in a saree and days back i was not that quick in dressing in a saree.so my husband told me to begin atleast an hour before should be there on time.
    I was like can be managed and it will not matter if 2-5min of delay.thinking that i put milk on stove to boil and thought to have tea as soon as i finish with my dressing.mean while i husband kept reminding to start with my saree.so out of confussion i left to dress up and it took more than 1hr making my hair,doing the saree,makeup,meanwhile my husband had called up his senior to say that we will be there in 10min.in such panic state i forgot abt the milk on the stove and we rushed out of the house.
    By the time we came back from 3hr party the house was stinking,and fumes coming out of kitchen my husband was shocked to see a vessel turn black with the whole kitchen filled with smoke.i was like looking at him in fear knowing not wht his reaction would be,he was running all around opening the windows,put on the exhaust fan in the kitchen,opened all doors to let in some fresh air.all the time i was standing where i stood and was in tears scared wht he would say.
    Seeing me in tears and standstill he started laughing and giving me a hug told me to be careful in the kitchen and its ok with spoiling vessels and food but very dangerous with LPG.
    Since then i boil milk only when i do something side by side.and my husband had never forgotten to check the cylinder before we leave out since then.
    I remember this daily when i put milk to boil1:rotfl
    bye!
    sudha.v