1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Lessons Learnt in Kitchen

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by Harithag, Nov 23, 2009.

1. Harithag

Harithag Gold IL'ite

Hi IL Friends,

Knowingly or unknowingly we do lot of experiments in our household chores.Some experiments comes out sucessfull while some may lead to absurd results with a feeling that we should never try these again.

Do you have done any such experiments....?

Then please log your lessons learnt.

You can share your successful experiments also.

To start with, Last Friday,i tried to clean steel sink in my kitchen.Since its hard water here,it has changed in to different color with some rust here and there.i thought of using a little bit of harpic.:idea To test it, i just sprinkled few drops in the sink and to my happiness, i found that portion came out very clean.Immediately i poured harpic all over the sink and in few seconds i found some thing wrong and started washing it with water.OMG...! :bonk harpic created some other stains.I thought DH will scold me for doing this experiment. instead we was happy with my work because sink is shining like a new one. He ignored those harpic scars.
    But i have decided NOT to use HARPIC again

Lesson Learnt-- DONT USE HARPIC FOR STAINLESS STEEL SINKS.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2009

2. Jaishree123

Jaishree123 Senior IL'ite

hi Hairtha

Very good thread!

I dont remember any thing as such now..but i will definitely write when I remember.

I m telling u this incident I m not sure if this falls into this category of experiments.

I had planted a mango seed one year back and it was coming out nicely..it had grown upto few inches then I realized that if it grows too big, it might touch the wall as it was planted very close to the wall..I asked the gardener to remove it and re-plant in different location ..he listened to me and he re-planted but after that, the plant died and all the leaves got dry and fell off. so whenever my hubby sees that place he reminds me..why did u have to move it..it was coming nicely..so I regret it.

Jaishree

3. Harithag

Harithag Gold IL'ite

Hi Jaisree,

Thanks for peeping in.

Hmmm..Thats also a good lesson.You wont do that again,Isn't it ?

4. Harithag

Harithag Gold IL'ite

Oh..53 views ,but only one Lesson from Jaisree...

Many of our successful and failure experiments can be helpful to each other.

ILites, Do post your mistakes and the solutions, you have found for that.

5. PavitraVenkat

PavitraVenkat Gold IL'ite

Nice thread :)

I had learnt a lesson in cooking. I decided that I would never ever dare try it again in my life. Wondering what it could be??? Seedai... :)

This diwali, we had decided not to prepare anything at home since my MIL and I were on a diet. :) So my husband said that we need not prepare any sweet or kaaram at home or even buy one. But just the evening before diwali, i was thinking that we should go in for atleast something since it was my thala deepavali. So i decided for making kai suthu murukku. But since I was try kai suthu murukku for first time, it was hard for me in making it. So decided would convert the same dough to make seedais since the ingredients were the same. But in that hurry, i forgot that for seedais we need to add dalda/ghee and make the dough really soft. I put a few seedais in hot oil. For first few minutes everything was fine, after that we literally had bombings in our kitchen. The seedais almost touched the roof and the hot oil spilled over the entire kitchen. Luckily my MIL and I had moved out of the kitchen just in time. This went on for about 15mins and then it subsided when no oil and seedai was left in the kadai. :( My MIL and I then decided to go out and buy some poli, murukku and thattai. I had a hell of a time cleaning the oil stains from the glass, cupboards, and literally the entire kitchen. I then made a strong decision that I would never dare try making seedai at home :biglaugh

6. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Oh Pavitra, that is so scary. Thank God, you guys were outside the kitchen when it happened!

7. S Priya

S Priya Senior IL'ite

Hi,

Once while preparing sambar to temper, i had kept the vessel and put oil then there was the door bell ringing, somebody calling my name outside , i just thought i would come in a jiffy even the oil and vessel needed to get hot ,so went to attend the door bell, my neighbour was there enquiring if water has come today, and was telling what rough day she is having she started and stopped after few mins(5-8), she diverted my mind and then when i remembered i ran to the kitchen there was fire in the vessel and when i off the stove the fire was above my height of1- 1 half feet, i got very scared and sat quitely for some mins and later stood for hrs scrubbing the vessel ohhh..... so i either off the stove or complete the work especially with the oil on fire is very dangerous(litte or more)

8. Harithag

Harithag Gold IL'ite

Oh..Thank god pavithra, You guys are safe..

Thanks for your FB.

9. Harithag

Harithag Gold IL'ite

This is really a lesson.Thanks Priya

10. deepa04

deepa04 Gold IL'ite

hi friends,
    when i was new to cooking,that is in my early marrige days,one day i cooked rice on pressure cooker. for along time there is no sound ,suddenly the rice is blowing like a flowerpot with sound.i got fear and ranaway from kitchen.that time my husband came and get down the cooker from the keresin stove.
    on that time i used to say that-'come we will ran away'.but he said there is no need because already we got married.after some time we remembered that laught for that.
    after that incident till now, past 10 years i did in cooked rice on pressure cooker.