Lessons and Experiences while buying/scouting for a dream home

Discussion in 'Housing' started by charmingpooh, Jul 6, 2010.

1. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Re: Questions on how to find projects/builders

hi naanvetti, no expertise here, just practical discussions..we all learn to gether..so you can glean lot of info from there threads.

for me, hearsay, banners, advertisements in the magazines, and ofcourse propertyplus every saturday from the hindu..in fact this gives me the idea of the new launches if i missed something. yes you can use magicbricks and 99 acres.
    ]mylapore/alwarpet there are few new projects and also velachery main road has a lot of projects, with the suburbs gaining their own place of importance along the velachery mainroad.,like medavakkam, madipakkam , nanganallur around velachery.

velachery proper and good reliable builders quote 6k+ and alwarpet and mylapore the base rate starts at 10k. and goes upto 12k per sq.ft
    i would say, narrow your place, your budget, look at a few builders,do make a trip to india, check out the builders, finalise, do the registration, and go back. this way, you know what you are taking on. i believe, it is your first impression, first gut instinct when you visit a place that helps..you will definitely feel it ..yes this is my home.

some time back one of the acquaintance said that he had blocked a flat with a reputed builder from the us, without visiting the place, just through a poa to his parents who were too old to run around and visit the place. he was given a idea that this is happening this is what has come up..later when he came for a visit, he did not even see anything above 25%..happening. the construction was slow, and lot of changes that he wanted were not done.it is alway better, either go in with a person whom you can believe that he will deliver, or have a person to visit on your behalf is what works best at this point.

Kelambakkam, has good potential, but again even for buying the land, i would say check out for proper documents, and things. people say it is kelambakkam, thought it may be very far from kelambakkm.the vandaloor, kelambakkam road links ecr to gst. Kelambakkam. there is a xs real helios township project.and also lot of other projects around the area.

narrow your area, depending on what are your requirements. whether it is going to be your primary residence, or investment. if primary, the area needs to be developed or have the probability of being developed well before you return. all the best for your search.

1 person likes this.
  2. naanvetti

naanvetti Senior IL'ite

:bowdown Thanks so much for your detailed replies.

for me, hearsay, banners, advertisements in the magazines, and ofcourse propertyplus every saturday from the hindu..in fact this gives me the idea of the new launches if i missed something. yes you can use magicbricks and 99 acres.

I have added 99 acres also in my list now.

i would say, narrow your place, your budget, look at a few builders,do make a trip to india, check out the builders, finalise, do the registration, and go back.
    Definitely, let me go this way. I guess I wouldnt be able to make a visit to india until end of next yr. Remember in one of your posts, you had written how you panicked about silver price going up & quickly went bought lot of silver articles. But silver price went down in a day. I am in a similar state of mind. :) I am worried that, the prices will shoot up by the time I visit india next.
    But, I think the best option or solution would be what you have suggested here to avoid longtime regret...

Kelambakkam, has good potential, but again even for buying the land, i would say check out for proper documents, and things. people say it is kelambakkam, thought it may be very far from kelambakkm.
    I see,

the vandaloor, kelambakkam road links ecr to gst. Kelambakkam. there is a xs real helios township project.and also lot of other projects around the area.
    I will check this, i guess this project is being discussed here also.

narrow your area, depending on what are your requirements. whether it is going to be your primary residence, or investment. if primary, the area needs to be developed or have the probability of being developed well before you return.
    Most probably investment.

all the best for your search.[/QUOTE]
    Thanks again :) I will keep you all posted on how things go.

One other question, lets say I take a loan in india with a bank. Will the bank authorities check the necessary documents of the project? I will check it also, but would bank do the due diligence too?

3. laxmigan

laxmigan New IL'ite

Re: Lessons Learnt while buying a flat

we booked a flat in a govt.hsg scheme in chennai . It takes its own time :spin- advantage no hidden costs . You do not get to choose interior work . when finally we get the basic flat we will need to do interiors .
    Can anyone suggest some interior designers who can help us convert the flat into a home ?

4. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

you are welcome .

hahha. now you caught me there..but for the past two days i am again happy..see in the case of silver, the day i felt bad, my husband told me that do not look at the short term highs/lows as you invested thinking about long term (dd marriage) dh is a finance guy. so for the past two days the bullion market has bounced back so sharp.. so as i always say we cannot time the market. i bought my present home at 4000rs/sq.ft in 2009. the project is not even completed, but it is now at 5500....this rise is only on paper for me..as i am living in it and not thinking of selling. so the purpose also matters. am i clear or confusing.
    true..

5. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Re: Lessons Learnt while buying a flat

Laxmi, congrats on your purchase..remember no scheme comes without a cost..but the transparency is better in case of housing board flats. and these days all builders leave the flats as basic/bare as possible..kitchens is nothing but a counter for your stove..and just walls...all in the name of modular kitchen.

we have been discussing woodwork here.. please follow the thread there.. http://www.indusladies.com/forums/housing/5284-discuss-woodwork-and-modular-kitchen.html