1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Lentil Pancakes - The lovely round beauties.

Discussion in 'Indian Diet & Nutrition' started by shivachoubey, Jun 1, 2010.

1. shivachoubey

shivachoubey IL Hall of Fame

Dear Jara,

Yes No rice at all :). Its tastes damn good, so do give it a try and let me know.

Have a great day ahead.

regards

Shiva

2. Meera34

Meera34 New IL'ite

Shiva, I made these for breakfast today morning. I expected it to be very time consuming to make, but it cooked as quickly as an omelet, and was wonderful to taste and filling (my tummy is still happy after 4hrs! :))

Thanks for bringing us such wholesome recipes dear - you rock! :)

3. shivachoubey

I am so happy to hear that you liked the pancakes. They are very healthy indeed. Thanks for the appreciation dear.

Have a great day ahead.

regards

Shiva

4. Burcidi

Burcidi New IL'ite

Hi Shiva

We saw your recipe today with my mom and was so excited. I'm trying to lose weight and mama is diabetic so this is a great recipe.

I think I did something wrong though because it didn't stick together on the pan and crumbled.

I used green lentil and put everything you said except gourd because it's not available here. Then mom said to cook the lentil a little bit as she didn't want to wait overnight. So we cooked the lentil for a few minutes after letting it sit in water for about 2 hours and smashed it instead of grinding.

Can you tell me what not to do or what to do so the recipe comes out right the next time? We are not Indian so cooking Indian isn't too easy for us. But we love the food.

Thank you! Love your blog and recipes. You are very inspirational. Great job!

5. shivachoubey

Welcome to my blog and thanks for liking it.

Here are the steps to make it easy for you.

1. Start by using yellow mung dhal. This has a far better binding texture than the green dhal. Soak it overnight and then drain in morning. Grind to a nice paste with some salt, garlic and ginger.

[​IMG]

2. Once you get a nice creamy texture, grate one carrot in this. The liquid should not be very thick, it should be smooth and flowing.

3. Now, on a non stick pan, add little oil and spread 1 ladle of this paste. Keep the heat on medium, and cover the pan for 3 - 4 minutes. Don't move the pancake, once its cooked it will move easily. If the pancake is not cooked it will refuse to move.

4. Once the pancake can be moved easily flip it and cook the other side (no need to cover now.)

This way you will understand the right way how these pancakes are made. Once you get this right, you can experiment by adding little cucumber and other kind of lentils.

Check this recipe out, it calls for a smooth batter and pics is also there.

Lentil Crepe - IndusLadies

Let me know how it came out. Its not at all difficult, it just takes a little practice, once you get your hand right you will make it in few minutes.

Have a great day ahead.

regards

Shiva

6. Burcidi

Burcidi New IL'ite

Thank you for your reply Shiva!

I will get yellow dhal and do it this way. By the way, I have made your hummus recipe and it turned out great. Had it this morning for breakfast. We usually put tahini in our hummus but that adds lots of calories, it is much better the way you have made it. We had fresh milk this morning, so I have also tried your paneer recipe and added oregano to it. It is waiting under some rocks right now. Will taste it soon :)

I have a request. If you get time, can you add some sweet low fat recipes. I actually eat food in small portions always, but have a terrible sweet tooth. I am getting all the excess calories from sugar. Some low cal healthy options to tame my sweet tooth would help me so much.

Thanks again :)

7. shivachoubey

Dear Burcidi,

Thanks for liking the hummus recipe. I am searching for low fat desert recipes too but no matter what, I end up adding sugar or fats to it. Will upload as soon as I lay my hands on some real good low cal low fat desert recipe.

Lots of love to you.

regards
    Shiva

8. Shrisha

Shrisha Bronze IL'ite

Shiva,
    The lentil pancakes batter - Can we grind it in a mixie? Or we should use a grinder like how we do for Idly dosa batter?

9. shivachoubey

Dear Shrisha,

I soak the lentils for few hours and gring it to a smooth paste in a grinder like a dosa batter.

Hope this helps.

regards

Shiva

10. Shrisha

Shrisha Bronze IL'ite

Thank you Shiva. Will follow the same