Legal Rights on own house

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by abh16, Mar 30, 2012.

1. abh16

abh16 Silver IL'ite

Hi everyone,

My husband's family has a house in our native place in India. And the house is given by my FIL's mother. She wrote a document on house saying, the house should be enjoyed by his son (my FIL) and Daughter-in-law (my MIL) and then the house goes to her Grand Son (my husband).

Now my question is my FIL and her mother are no more. My FIL and MIL are divorced after the document was written.

Now because my in-laws are divorced, will the house will be on my husband's name or will my MIL have rights on that.

My husband has a sister and what about her rights on the house.

Like to know how the rules are in INDIA on this aspect..

Any ideas ladies..??

2. glascobaby

glascobaby Silver IL'ite

Hello Abh,

As much we have enquired and came to know with our experience is that, usually - a property divides into 2 shares and the no. of kids accordingly. So, in your case, it has to be like your FIL's, MIL's and then another 2 shares of that your hubby and SIL. So totally 4 equal parts it meant to be. But as the case of your FIL is no more and MIL's got divorced, i think there is no need of any deviations behind as the legal document of the divorcee speaks and also be clear about what kinda settlement does your FIL has done to your ex.MIL..

You need to approach a proper legal consultant in order to make the documents as clear to transfer it as 2 equal shares ....one part for your hubby and another part for your SIL......