1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Leaving the door open

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by bhagyachinu, Sep 28, 2010.

1. bhagyachinu

bhagyachinu Gold IL'ite

Leaving unclosed my door
    Of black pine, I go to bed
    For the night awash
    In plum scent and light
    From the moon
    - Tonna (1289-13)

This made me nostalgic. I love open doors and windows. When I was a kid, I grew up in a village. All the windows and doors will be open all the time. Home used to look like an extension of outdoors. At night, my grandmom used to just bolt the grilled front door, which could be opened by anybody from outside. Most of the houses had open verandah where anybody can come and sleep or rest any time.

After I came to Chennai, till about 7-8 years back, we used to bolt the front door only during night. As I have mentioned before, anybody, including cows, dogs, reptiles and people, used to walk in freely during day time. Me being the last to sleep, I will forget to lock the front door many nights and will find it unlocked in the morning. My father never used to complain about it. May be, being an outdoors person, I love keeping the doors and windows open so that I can bring the outdoor feeling inside. I get the feeling of living in a prison if I keep the front door locked.

Even when I went to Bangalore when my husband got a transfer, the house we lived there had huge windows which we always used to keep open. My husband used to joke to me saying that he gets the feeling of living in a park. After some months, he got curtains for some privacy. However, the curtains remained drawn majority of the time. The windows compensated for the closed front door – my husband used to tell me many times a day that I should, never, never keep the front door open.

When I came back to Chennai, I had a shock. My mother had got into the habit of keeping her front door locked always. And because of my husband, even when l am at home, I have to keep the front door bolted. Though he talks about safety – and mosquitoes – I can never get over the feeling of living in a prison. However, I don’t deny the threat in keeping the doors open now.

I don’t see an open front door anywhere in the city these days. The houses are also as closed as the minds and hearts of people who live inside it. Or is it the other way? I do not know.

So, I was happy to see something to the contrary recently, when I went to Kerala. I went there on official visit and as my cousin was staying just behind the hotel where I stayed, I thought I’ll say hello. It was in the heart of Eranakulam city. I went and saw the front door locked. It was a sort of enclosure with 5-6 independent houses belonging to brothers/cousins who are staying together. I wanted to find out whether she’ll be back soon and register my attendance and went to the nearby house. the door was wide open and there was nobody. I called and still no response, I just walked in and went and looked into the kitchen and one other room. Then I walked towards the bed room and found people there (that room was also wide open). I just went and spoke to them (no, they do not mind people walking in. they asked me to sit down and offered refreshments which I declined) and left. I love that memory.

I guess, the more we go towards villages, the more open doors we see. A couple of years back, we went on a south Karnataka tour. My son was small and I never used to give him baby formula – He was fed homemade baby food which needed cooking. We carried with us a vessel and ladle. When the feeding time came, we used to stop the car wherever and I used to get into the nearby house or hut and request them to use their kitchen. Everybody said yes and many offered milk to cook the food if there were no shops nearby.

I guess it is the trouble of material things that prompts us to keep our homes locked. The more we have, the more we want to protect them from others invading it. The problem I find with possessions are, the fear of losing possessions is more than the joy of having them. No wonder the zen monk went inside the departmental store and said, “I wonder how many things are there which I do not need”.

2. Coffeelover

Coffeelover Platinum IL'ite

very well described about our changing life style in city. I do agree wth you about small towns. I was in a small town till age of 12. They locked only in the night time. no one worried about privacy. Now when I go to India, I feel that no one knows their neighbor. Things have changed. Some times, changes are good, but not like this. Too much of possessions made us lock the door and suspect everyone.
    Hope to read more form you.

I like your poem vey much. Good work.

3. AbhiSing

AbhiSing Gold IL'ite

Interesting blog Bhagya..

Changes are ineveitable...in this day and age..whatever the reason be!

4. knot2share

knot2share Gold IL'ite

You come up with gems all the time. I totally enjoy reading them and the way it makes me introspect. I am one of those too who keeps the front door closed. Actually reading your blog reminds me of what my dad observed when he was here on a few months holiday visiting us. He could not find any house that either had the front door open or even have people/children outside the house. Everything is always closed except on two ocassions. Morning when the garage door opens for a car to go out and Evening when the garage door opens for the car to go in. Thats it! As my dad says in malayalam "oru manushyakuttye polum kaanilla" (you won't see even a single human being) :). It is sad that the world has come to this now. My grandmother's home used to be exactly like what you described - open for anyone.

5. mssunitha2001

mssunitha2001 IL Hall of Fame

Very Interesting topic....My home is open all the time except after 6 pm just because of my fear for insects which just get attracted by the lights.

Over in India, only our grill gate will be locked but the door open to let in air. Never have seen my parents close the door and all are welcome at any time. May be i got used to it, i keep my doors open all the time inspite of my dh telling me to close atleast when i am alone at home.

6. AkilaMani

AkilaMani Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Bhagya,

A wonderful post. Enjoyed reading.

Akila

7. swathi14

swathi14 IL Hall of Fame

fantastic post. Even today my house is kept open on night time too. We are in the outskirts of Chennai. My MIL keeps the chairs, utensils, big eversilver bucket (for the cow to drink water) everything in the entrance and till date, nothing is lost.

I liked your words "Now the doors are closed like our minds".

nice blog & i enjoyed reading it.

andal

8. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Bhagya

You are right. In villages we can keep the door open. But in cities all the doors are closed only. Like Coffeelover says sometimes we dont know who is the neighbour.. For safety and privacy people in cities dont keep their door open.

love
    viji