1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Leaving locker key in India

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by justanotherDIL, Jan 7, 2014.

1. justanotherDIL

justanotherDIL New IL'ite

Hello IL members,

I hope you can help me with this issue. I'm sure many members have faced it in their life. So here goes the story:

I live in the US with my husband and my ILs are in India. I got married last year and during the wedding, as is customary, my mom and MIL gave me tons of jewelry. Before coming to the US, my FIL got a bank account and locker opened for me in their city. I kept all my heavy jewelry in that locker and brought some light stuff with me here to the US. Now, at that time, I had full intentions of leaving the locker key with my MIL. But, somehow, in the hustle of packing, I forgot to give the key to her. Now, we are again going to India next week, and in the last 3-4 months, my MIL has told me 20 times, "Don't forget to bring the locker key with you." I find it very annoying and wonder why she is so interested in it. I will obviously take it with me because I will need the jewelry when I go to weddings in India. Moreover, I am now 100% sure that she will ask me to leave the key with her before coming back to the US. And because she has been so interested in that key, I absolutely DO NOT want to do it. Today, during Skype conversation, she again told me to bring the key and when my FIL asked what locker are you talking about, she said "nothing." :-/

Can you guys (based on your experiences) tell me how to say no to her for this?

Thanks so much.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2014

2. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

Fishy......
    Bring up the topic in front of FIL so he knows(if she asks you to leave the keys) . Or just say...you would like to keep it .

1 person likes this.
  3. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

And u do not want to leave the key back in India because....? After all she was nice enough to give u tons of jewellery
    Its best to start a relationship with ur MIL with an open mind. Not giving the key would simply send a message that u do not trust her. Its a strong statement to make and one that will not be forgotten. A few OZ of gold is not worth it. My $0.02

4. gauridinesh

gauridinesh Platinum IL'ite

agree with yellowmango - its fishy. Any way that you can move all your stuff into another locker of yours without her knowing and then give the key to the empty locker to her?I know, its too cunning-just wearing my 'evil' horns here :)

Another option - 'forget' the key again :) tell her that you put all the keys bank papers and cheque books and everything in a bag, took it out and put it on the table, but forgot to take the bag in the last minute :)

5. Minion

Minion Platinum IL'ite

Op,

If you don't want to see your jewellery again then you should leave your locker key with your IL. If i were you I would open up a locker close to your parents residence and shift everything there and just handover the current locker key to your MIL.

6. MaliniHari

MaliniHari Gold IL'ite

Hey simple, give her the locker key. Bring the jewels to the US!ideasmiley

15 people like this.
  7. justanotherDIL

Thanks so much for the responses. Won't doing all this (like moving jewelry close to parents' home and say that I forgot to bring the key again) create a very negative vibe between us?

Justanothergirl - "And u do not want to leave the key back in India because....? After all she was nice enough to give u tons of jewellery"
    I had no issues in leaving the key with her. But, I am getting suspicious only because she keeps asking me about it. In fact, she once suggested that I should mail the locker key to my brother in law, who was going to India from the US. So I'm just wondering why she is so interested in that locker. I think I am more concerned because I have heard many horror stories about all this.

8. justanotherDIL

Hahaha.. That's what I plan to do eventually, in 2-3 years. The problem is what to do in the mean time.

1 person likes this.
  9. Priya4oct

Priya4oct Gold IL'ite

Agree with Just Another Girl..It depends on your relation with MIL..if you have good term and trust then i guess there is no harm in giving her key. But you do not have good term (or after giving key your mind is in india thinking whether jewels are safe or not) then i would suggest you keep with you.

Since you are newly married, just want to tell you jewels and other monetary items are very small in front of good relation ship.You will need to handle all relationship very carefully else it may spoil your married life This is just my 1%

10. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

Why don't you throw the ball in her court and just ask her why are you so interested in my locker?

4 people like this.