Leaving Baby In In Laws Place

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Stardust1990, Feb 26, 2019.

1. Stardust1990

Stardust1990 Senior IL'ite

There is a custom called Kuzhandayai Kondu Viduthal where after staying for the first few months of baby's birth they leave baby at in laws place. My in laws stay at Chennai and I am at trichy with my parents. We decided to go to Bangalore directly after this. My in laws are bent on us coming to Chennai. The hazzle here is we have too many baby stuff to transport and temperature in trichy and Chennai is well over 42 degree celcius making it very hard to travel. We have to make multiple trips for this custom which we are finding it hard as we are scared such extreme templratues in April may affect baby and even aren't comfortable traveling in such heat. I have already booked a 2 ac ticket to Bangalore and I am not comfortable bf in public. My in laws won't accept Bangalore as their home and want us to come to Chennai only. Hence pls share your inputs..

2. Anusha2917

Anusha2917 IL Hall of Fame

If you could stay in 42 degrees in Trichy , staying in 42 degrees in Chennai should not be a problem. And how long are you supposed to stay? While I totally get the challenges you are going to face while travelling from Trichy to chennai and chennai to Bangalore, for the happiness of your in laws and if they are sentimental about such things do it for their sake.
    This is just my opinion. Please don't take any offense and do what is most comfortable for you and kid. Also let me tell you Bangalore is not any less hotter. The summer heat is already robbing me of my sleep and I am already dreading the March April time :)

3. Stardust1990

Stardust1990 Senior IL'ite

Thank you for the input.. I am not taking about myself but my baby.. I am a little scared to put my baby through such extreme weather while travelling..i have seen children cry relentlessly the entire train journey as they are uncomfortable. I am staying indoors on trichy. I use ac when it gets too hot... And no Bangalore summer is way kinder than Chennai

Anusha2917 likes this.
  4. IL86

IL86 Silver IL'ite

Do whatever is comfortable for your baby and yourself as you are the one who is going to handle the baby. Especially if it is your first journey with baby. I know how difficult it is as I once travelled with my 7 month old baby it was her first long journey , it was a nightmare she cried whole time during journey and I was unable to pacify her and she didn't eat much so she became tired, dehydrated and after that she was unwell for one whole week. So give utmost importance for your baby's comfort, staying at home is different from travelling during summer so don't add unnecessary additional trips for baby.
    You can tell in laws since Bangalore home is where your husband stays you can consider that as in laws place for customs sake and inform them you will travel to their place with baby when it is little bit older and after summer is over.

Amica likes this.
  5. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

Congratulations on your baby, @Stardust1990!

Traveling with an infant is difficult in the best of circumstances. I wouldn't make multiple trips at these temperatures.

Request your doctor to say it is not advisable for baby to travel in this heat. DH and ILs usually accept "no" from the baby's doctor but not from the mother. Good luck!

Stardust1990 likes this.