1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Learn to Unlearn!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by anukarsha, Jul 19, 2010.

1. anukarsha

anukarsha Gold IL'ite

Hi Friends!
    We’ve always been conditioned for “Learning” something new. And we know that learning is an ongoing process. We learn till we die. Then why this title-“Learn to Unlearn”?
    Friends, sometime back, I had once written about ‘Habit Formation’. It’s not an overnight process; it takes a few days to get into a habit. It involves many things like; a thought gives rise to an action and this action when repeated forms a habit. We generally find ourselves bound to so many things; old habits, culture, social norms and many more things. We hardly make any effort to think or alter these things because our mind is conditioned in such a manner that we hardly find the need to change the environment. We perform our duties on a subconscious level and really don’t ever feel the need to analyze if we are happy or not.
    We force many things on kids, on subordinates and on our own self too. Not only this my friends, we even force ourselves to stick to old marketing tactics, business strategies and so on and so forth. I’ve heard many a times from our elders, “Don’t ask something like this, we never asked our elders. They told us to do so and we did. You should also do what is required without any fuss”. I ask why, why not ask for something which you don’t understand? Why not satiate the hunger of the young generation where curiosity is concerned? I still come across many who say when we were your age, we didn’t do this, we didn’t do that. Oh! Please don’t forget that the time has changed and so is the mindset, the environment. The needs have changed, the methods of education have changed and even eating habits have changed. You name it and it has changed so why not try to unlearn something?
    Why do we need to unlearn?
    To set ourselves free from the imaginary boundaries which may not do any good to you in today’s environment;
    To fill the vessel with something new, you got to empty it first, so remove the clutter from your mind and get a new, refreshed you;
    Get rid of bad, old habits;
    Let go the old things and make a place to accommodate new;
    So friends, unlearning is another process of learning to get yourself freed from unnecessary emotional baggage if any and kick start your life afresh!
    RegsJ

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2012

2. knbg

knbg Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Anu,
    A nice post dear ....learning to unlearn would help us to come out of habits and obsessions

3. anukarsha

anukarsha Gold IL'ite

Thanks Bhargavi for your reply. I agree with your post!!!

4. superwoman09

superwoman09 Gold IL'ite

Hi Anukarsha,

Learning to unlearn is far difficult than learning something new. How do we go about freeing ourselves from the emotional baggage that we all carry around.

1 person likes this.
  5. anukarsha

anukarsha Gold IL'ite

Dear superwoman[​IMG]

Thanks for your reply.

If you are following my another thread--personal growth through spiritual routine, you would have come across a sentence quite a few number of times, and that is "we give the age to our problems." Same is the case with thoughts, emotions etc. We unnecessarily get attached to negative things in life.

It's very easy dear, if you give it a sincere try. I consider every relationship as a blessing to me. There are obviously a few broken relationships--friends, kith and kin, affectionate relationships etc. All relations come with a specific purpose, and once that purpose is over they don't remain with you. Take every relationship this way. Never leave on a negative note, never malign any relationship.

Once you understand this there is no emotion attached, no hard feelings, no bad memories. Just empty the "garbage bin." and here are fresh you!!!

I hope this helps. Should you have any more questions please feel free to write back.[​IMG]

6. superwoman09

superwoman09 Gold IL'ite

Hi Anukarsha,

I am just now going through your thread "Personal growth through spiritual routine". One can never cease to learn new things, but to unlearn is a different thing altogether...most of the times we dont know how to go about unlearning.