1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Leap Frog learning DVDs

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by Traveller, May 26, 2008.

1. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Ah hah - thanks Sindhu. I guess I have to stick to my PC then.

V.

2. Vishalini3

Vishalini3 Silver IL'ite

Mommies,

Can I order this from Amazon? Or is it available in Chennai somewhere? Also, which one you all would prefer? DVD or the play device? I am getting to know this product just recently in IL, dont know anything about this.

3. Gowri66

Gowri66 Gold IL'ite

Ponlatha,

Came to know from my friend about this site. It is impressive to me too.
    Almost all the branded toys are available with them !!

Check it : ToyWorld.in - Indias Largest Toy Store!!!

Hope it helps !!

4. arthidiva

arthidiva Silver IL'ite

WOW, thanks Gowri.. I have been searching for a store in india with a website where I can see diff products and their prices.. thanks for fishing this out for us.

5. Vishalini3

Vishalini3 Silver IL'ite

Gowri, Thanks a ton!!!!!!!!

Latha, Vanathi, Krithika, whoever have used Leapstart,

ToyWorld.in

What toy do you suggest for my 3.3yr old? She has some difficulty in recognizing alphabets... she is good on numerals and counting, colors, shapes, pattern matching stuff but prefers everything else than alphabets. So am thinking whether buying leapfrogs' toys would bring in the interest or I should go for DVDs? DD is good at learning on screen or with a toy. She is good bothways. But wanted to know the preference from you, mommies.

6. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Pon - I love the Fridge Phonics. Its what we used and DS learnt so easily with it. I supplemented with starfall.com. In fact at your DD's age I would do only starfall and not buy any toy. The floor puzzles (foam stuff) for the alphabet are good too (saw thwm in Odyssey I think). Other things are to ask her to read car license plates/billboards and anything else.

V.

7. Gowri66

Gowri66 Gold IL'ite

Ponlatha,Arthi...
    Glad.. I could help you !! I will also use the same, once I am back home ! :hiya

Vanathi...

Though my baby is going to be 2months only :hide:... bought the one you suggested "Fridge Phonics".
    Also planning to buy "My Pal Scout" too !!! As it says, it can used from 6months to 3 years, what is your opinion on this ???

8. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

What we did was first just use alphabet trays, then use the voice software in the computer that helps assist blind people read, phonics cards, books, fruit bar wrappers, meccano set, building blocks, Sesame Street DVDs, good old black board charts and chalk piece to form the letters and sound them out. Once he knew the alphabets we have been using sticky paper to label things around the house, scrabble tiles, cut out letters to form words. DS has completely stalled in reading out words, but is now interested in learning Tamil and has started speaking Tamil very well the last few months. I do have a software programme that came preloaded on my comp G-compris that we used. At this stage, I am still thinking about introducing games, but then I also have the feeling I am overreacting to what I see my friends' kids do.

9. Vishalini3

Vishalini3 Silver IL'ite

Krithika, Vanathi, we have been using chalk, over our big front yard cement-floor. Building blocks, trying to read out things from wrapppers, pamplets, billboards, whatever thats bold/large prints. But i see that she is more interested in numerals all the time, spontaneously points out all numerals, counts, matches, etc... If we cut out letters on thick card, she wants to trace them like a stencil and paint them :))) But the same cut outs for numerals, she is interested in recognising them :biglaugh I cant figure out why... In her school, they havent started alphabets yet... They wud do it next yr along with phonics. W.r.t books, first time, i read in English, no translation. She understands. Further reading, she reads on her own, her own vocabs, following the pictures, but not interested in the text-reading. Any ideas? Thats why i thought Fridge phonics cud help her. But way too expensive:drowning

10. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

It is expensive - thankfully mine was a gift (it wasnt available in India then)! Maybe you should just leave it for a bit and come back later. DS was like that with numbers inititally and now he's much more ibterested. Some kids are simply more into one thing than others at one point - they do come round later.

V.