1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Le Creuset Pans - Have any one used it??

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by veeramachaneni, Sep 6, 2013.

1. veeramachaneni

veeramachaneni Platinum IL'ite

Hello Ladies,

I am looking for some advice on Le Creuset fry pans. I love the colors and reviews out side but they are mainly from americans and saying great things about how good these will be to make casseroles and stuff like that.

Have any one used these pans? If so how do you like these?? I know these are heavy but I just wanted to know the other aspects to these pans in regards to Indian Cooking.

Thank you all.

2. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

I have several Le Creuset pieces bought many years ago. I use them almost everday. The ones I use most often are the Dutch ovens. These are good for making gravies, dal, sambar, etc. The smaller ones are also good for making dry curries. The enameled coating makes cleaning a breeze.
    They can also go into the oven, so they are good for making biryani, etc.
    I use only medium heat, since the pan heats up and holds temperature very well. I also have a skillet with the black, non-enameled coating, but I don't like that piece as much. The pans are pretty enough to use as serving dishes too. I never put them in the dishwasher, and I use only wooden/plastic spoons for stirring.
    There are many other enameled cast iron brands available, for lower prices, but I love my Le Creuset!

1 person likes this.
  3. veeramachaneni

Thank you for the reply Malstrom. I also read the same reviews about the frying pan. I didn't own even a single lecreuset but I am planning on buying them.

Thank you for the reply. It helped a lot.

4. 2babymom

2babymom Bronze IL'ite

Although I dont have any lecreuset pieces, I have read many reviews about their frying pans. Everyone says that the frying pans are not useful like their dutch ovens. And my point of view is, cast iron pots and pans are not useful for indian cooking except for dosas.

1 person likes this.
  5. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Veeramachaneni,
    Glad I could help. You must have also seen it, but Le Creuset now makes braisers, which look somewhat like our kadais. These were not available when I got mine. They may be a better option for making curries and other Indian foods, compared to the skillets or Dutch ovens.

1 person likes this.
  6. veeramachaneni

Hi malstorm - I got 2 dutch ovens and I am loving those 2. Thank you again.

1 person likes this.
  7. peeks

peeks Gold IL'ite

I use the baking dishes....very very good worth the extra money....so easy to clean

1 person likes this.
  8. swapna15

swapna15 Senior IL'ite

Girls, i need some information regarding this..can you tell me when you cook in le crueset cast iron pans do you have to use plenty of oil/butter to not to damage the enamel coating on it?? I read on le creuset's website that when we heat cast iron pan we can not dry heat the pot as it will damage the enamel coating.. so if we want to cook low fat food, will that be possible?? I would be happy to hear from you..thanks in advance!

9. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

If you want to dry heat then go for just the pure cast iron not the enameled one. Lodge cast iron is very good.

10. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Swapna,
    You do not need to use a lot of oil/butter on the enameled pans, since food will not easily stick to it. They should not be dry-heated for a long time on high flame.
    I will pre-heat the empty pan on a medium flame for a few minutes, then add a small amount of oil and start cooking. I never use metal spoons to stir the food, only wood or silicon.
    The Le Creuset cookware with the black coating is more prone to sticking than the enameled line.
    The only thing to be careful about is not to subject the pan to sudden temperature changes.