1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Laugh Out Not So Loud Please

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Sofea, Aug 17, 2011.

1. Sofea

Sofea IL Hall of Fame

[JUSTIFY]
    What does Michael Madhana Kamarajan and Kanchana have in common? Well, no prizes for guessing. Apart from having person’s names as titles, these two are movies that my family and I end up watching and laughing out last weekend. And by laughing out I mean really laughing out loud!

My family members are quite a “terror” when it comes to laughing. Forget about how funny the movie is, watching my family members laughing itself is an amusement of its own. For instance, my mom’s way of showing how funny she finds a scene to be, is by closing her eyes, clutching her chest and laughing without a sound. I’m not kidding! That’s exactly the way she laughs. You could actually see her body shaking with laughter but you wouldn’t be able to hear a single sound from her. But that mannerisms are reserved only for mild comedy scenes. When the scenes get too funny (if you have watched MMKR or Kanchana, you’ll know what I’m talking about) she couples her chest clutching laughter with banging-the-floor act as well. And bang she will! You really got to be aware of where you’re sitting when watching a comedy film with my mom. Sit by her side and your thighs would be gone, for instead of banging the floor, she would be banging your thighs til the comedy scenes are over. My sister and I have learned our lessons in the hard way but there are many others who are not aware of this…as yet. So much so, that my cousin who visited us a month ago thought that my mom was having chest pains when he saw her doing it, and was just a moment away from calling the doctor. I seriously don’t know who would be having the last laugh had he done that.

If my mom is an extreme, my brother in law is another extreme. He literally laughs out loud for every single funny scene. And that could be quite terrorizing as well. You see my BIL’s laughter could actually bring the whole house down. It’s that loud! And similar to the sounds of running a motor that hasn’t been used for quite a while (“darrrrrrrrrrruu…”), my BIL’s laughter too goes continuously, with each lasting nothing less than 10 seconds (“Heaaahhhhhhhhh…”). If you have seen and heard comedian Kumari Muthu’s laughter, you’ll get a rough picture of how my BIL’s laughter is. This has gone to such an extent that my sister has stopped putting her son to sleep if my BIL happens to be watching a comedy show on TV. There’s no use anyway. After hours of cajoling and making my nephew to sleep, a single laughter from my BIL is enough to wake the boy up again…and then the process of cajoling and making him sleep again will go on the whole night. Another downside of watching movies with him is that due to the duration and loudness of each laughter, you’ll missed out on the subsequent jokes on the scene. So to play it safe, I would watch the same movie again the next day when I’m alone to catch up with the jokes that I’ve missed. Well, it’s just a small price to pay for the bigger amusement he provides with his laughter.

My sister’s laughter on the other hand is what I've secretly termed as the Woody-wood pecker laughter. She laughs in stages and you just wouldn’t know when and how to prepare for it. The whole house would be laughing and yet you wouldn’t hear a single sound from her. And when everyone else have calmed down, out comes my sister with a huge “Hahahaha-“ and then she stops in quite an abrupt manner, only to continue it a second later. This is truly a technique that has not been mastered by others (the fact that they might not want to, is a different matter altogether). It’s quite a unique laugh I must say. Well, at least Kumari Muthu has got a successor in the form of my BIL, but my sister’s laughter is definitely one of its kind.

And if you are curious, I still haven’t figured how my laughter sounds like. The fact is, I haven’t even noticed how my laughter is, let alone to describe it in detail here. Well, has anyone heard how their own laughter sounds like? :confused2:Maybe I’ll just start recording my laughter one day and sit down to do a research on it. And til then, I would just pretend that it sounds as lovely as...as...as....(psstt, anyone here knows one with a good laughter?)
    [/JUSTIFY]

2. rgsrinivasan

rgsrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

LOL! That was a hilarious blog Sofea. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Thanks. -rgs

3. sreemanavaneeth

sreemanavaneeth Gold IL'ite

Hai Sofea,

Good comedy laugh narration post my dear. If you laugh surely you will forgert your worries. Laughing differs for one to one. People who are laughing very soundly i can say reallly their health will be too good always. It is one kind of an exercise. I used to laugh openly and loudly always. I appreciate your efforts in research of LAUGH. Good one.:rotfl:)

4. Sofea

Sofea IL Hall of Fame

Thanks you so much for the first fb and the lovely comments Rgs :)

5. Sofea

Sofea IL Hall of Fame

Hi Sreemanavaneeth,
    Thank you so much for your comments. I didn't actually make any research on laughter actually. For some reasons, I thought about the different types of laughter my family members have and really felt like sharing this with someone. Glad you had a good laugh at this :)

6. nandinimithun

nandinimithun IL Hall of Fame

hi sofea

did remind me of ma loved ones and d way dey laugh :) had a laugh after reading ur post

7. shashiv

shashiv Gold IL'ite

Hi Sofea,

That was hilarious post... Really had a good laugh but without sound...:rotfl:rotfl:biglaugh:biglaugh

Shanti

8. Sofea

Sofea IL Hall of Fame

Hi Nandini,
    Glad that the post reminded you of your loved ones. And what's better, I'm even more glad that I'm not the only one whose family members laugh in an "unique" way. :biggrin2: Thanks for dropping by here :)

9. Sofea

Sofea IL Hall of Fame

LOL Shanti, you too laugh without a sound like my mom? :rotfl Glad that you find the post funny. And thanks a lot for always supporting me and my writing here :)

10. reddysp

reddysp New IL'ite

OMG you won't believe what I just did. I have this habit , Everytime I read anything, visuals start running in my mind. So as I was reading your post ,video was running in my head and I couldn't stop laughing . Being at work , when everyone is seriously working , imagine me trying to control my laughter. I had to read your post in parts because I couldn't stop laughing after each para. some people have already started asking me what's so funny.kikikiki...btw, thats how I'm trying to control my laugh now. Good post!