'Last edited by' ..what is the significance in forum posts?

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Feedback!' started by Aria, May 25, 2014.

1. Aria

Aria New IL'ite

What is the significance of 'Last edited by, time, reason' meta data in a post? Do we really need this information? Aesthetically is it pleasant or obstrusive , dangling qualifier in the post.

Unless we run into mudslings of 'You said this at 10:00AM' and 'Retracted at 10:01AM' , you fickle-minded bitongual! A timestamp to redound allegations?

Do we need this data visibility for users? Would anyone use this information on editable posts to score extra points against each other? Does anyone read this info even to detect if extra lines were added to go back and read the post? I'm not sure of the purposefulness of this information appended to a post. Enlighten me, plz :)

Last edited: May 25, 2014

2. Quebec

Quebec Platinum IL'ite

Zimble........

Ju get do Zee eeph aany baan haaj changed dare e-neeseal post........

And also eeph a modarrataar haz changed any ting eeph eet bas ofancive to others..... And dare da modarrataar kan gibe da reason phore eet su daat da OPhee No's....

Q....... Aah nostalgia......
    Salute to Nakshu....... Damn...

3. RedRuby

RedRuby Platinum IL'ite

I think it makes sence actually.

If someone posts a statement and later deletes or adds something to it the posters who already anwered to that post before it got edited might not sound too logic anymore or seem to miss something. In that case its better for understanding and clarification / avoiding missunderstandings that the edit is shown so later readers / posters can understand the connections between the original post (edited version) and the following answers.... hope i made myself to be understood... otherwise have to edit surrendersmiley :cheers

Edit: i for example often edit coz i tend to forget some aspect which i want to add to what i have written ideasmiley

Last edited: May 25, 2014
    2 people like this.
  4. Aria

Aria New IL'ite

RedRuby,

Your explanation is point-device! I was just wondering if anyone reads that 'Last edit by', recalibrates, re-anaylses and reinterprets. I am happy if members are doing that.

May be some of the more involved forums where sobriety is paramount to interpret posts rely on it.

Thanks for stating your views. Hmm..may be you are right. I was just checking if anyone else finds its annoying and not-so-useful. I am happy that this feature is utilized. Ta..:)

1 person likes this.
  5. Aria

Aria New IL'ite

May be I should have been more Zimpler!

My codicil query should have been - is that privilege driven , does every user edit appear or for a senior member the edit epitaph is not displayed - Admin to confirm.

6. Aria

Aria New IL'ite

I had to refer to Avetan, Coptic, Pali to understand what you had written , so sorry for the delay in responding ..hope you understand Quebec.

Mods can always edit and their override comment can be filtered to display.

The presence of two members in this thread gives enough proof that it is effectively utilized by forum members in interpreting posts.

7. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

I generally edit because of my keyboard dyslexia and this strange compulsion to ignore the read lines for spell check.

Sometimes I edit because I read what I have written feels rude or too frank.

Sometimes if my post gets a like before or while I make the edit...I feel very guilty ,almost like I have cheated that 'liker' by editing.

I agree with Red ruby ....we have lots of posts where posters make edits after getting response and then it is fair to the person who has already based the response on the original post.If not...a lot of posters would look silly and be left red faced.

2 people like this.
  8. Aria

Aria New IL'ite

Could someone please clarify whether the 'last edit' display is membership driven (only members below 'Gold' status are affected)?

Is there any particular reason for this preferential treatment?

9. Quebec

Quebec Platinum IL'ite

Nope...... Alll are same......

But sometimes if you do not give a reason, it doesnt show edit was done........

1 person likes this.
  10. Aria

Aria New IL'ite

What times are they?

(with no reason why is edit still displayed)

Last edited: Aug 22, 2014